British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   I know, I know but ... Waitrose has arrived in Abu Dhabi!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/i-know-i-know-but-waitrose-has-arrived-abu-dhabi-764351/)

al dente Jul 9th 2012 5:39 am

I know, I know but ... Waitrose has arrived in Abu Dhabi!!

I have a sound reason for mentioning it, honest. There appears to be no bloody marketing for it and I want it to be busy, ensuring turnover of perishables so that there's no wastage either in my bin or theirs.

Anyway, dullsville but important. It's on Al Reem in the Sun Tower complex.

Blue Cat Jul 9th 2012 5:50 am

Re: I know, I know but ... Waitrose has arrived in Abu Dhabi!!

is it as overpriced as the ones we have in Dubai? :eek:

flares Jul 9th 2012 6:38 am

Do they have ambient Islamic background music like Abu Dhabi Co-op?

TheShed Jul 9th 2012 7:04 am

Isnt Waitrose just a rebranded Spinneys for 95% of the stuff??

co durham boy Jul 9th 2012 7:07 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10161918)
Do they have ambient Islamic background music like Abu Dhabi Co-op?

We have The Koran blasting out in Carrefour here in Doha , nothing better than taking in a Hadith on a Friday morning whilst weighing up the carrots.....

csdf Jul 9th 2012 7:11 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10161942)
We have The Koran blasting out in Carrefour here in Doha , nothing better than taking in a Hadith on a Friday morning whilst weighing up the carrots.....

You should be in the mosque on a Friday morning.

csdf Jul 9th 2012 7:12 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 10161881)
I have a sound reason for mentioning it, honest. There appears to be no bloody marketing for it and I want it to be busy, ensuring turnover of perishables so that there's no wastage either in my bin or theirs.

Anyway, dullsville but important. It's on Al Reem in the Sun Tower complex.

Arguably, not a great location for the 99.8% of the city's population that doesn't live on Reem Island. Might check it out next time I pop over to the Sorbonne.

auzdafluff Jul 9th 2012 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10161885)
is it as overpriced as the ones we have in Dubai? :eek:

Thing is, it's overpriced for families, but for single people it's a godsend. I haven't found anywhere else that has fresh fruit and veg that lasts as long. I end up throwing away most of it before I've had a chance to use it when I buy it from Carrefour/Geant etc.

And Spinneys is a pain in the arse to get to compared to Waitrose from JLT.

co durham boy Jul 9th 2012 7:13 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 10161949)
You should be in the mosque on a Friday morning.

It's an option as there's fu** all else to do here....;)

britexpat76 Jul 9th 2012 7:47 am

Wasn't all the bacon in spinneys waitrose anyway?? The bacon here is usually from waitrose

al dente Jul 9th 2012 8:21 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 10161951)
Arguably, not a great location for the 99.8% of the city's population that doesn't live on Reem Island. Might check it out next time I pop over to the Sorbonne.

The Sorbonne notwithstanding, it's only 15 minutes from our house on the main island, so pretty useful. AD is gentrifying in fits and starts.

Miss Anne Thrope Jul 9th 2012 9:12 am

Compare any Waitrose in Dubai with any Spinneys - no discernible difference in product selection with both stocking a similar range of Waitrose own-brand dry goods. Neither is anything like Waitrose in the UK because they have none of the chilled products range which is really what makes Waitrose so distinctive. It is just a matter of store-branding and since the Dubai Mall store all new openings seem to be Waitrose, particularly those in "upmarket" developments. Annoyingly, both Spinneys and Waitrose branded outlets here seem to have simultaneously stopped carrying tins of Waitrose brand Espresso. Even with the inevitable mark-up it was still much better value and quality than Lavazzo, Illy and the rest, at least on my little Dhs17 stove-top espresso maker.

So I would say, good for you to have a supermarket open nearby - nothing in particular to get excited about because it happens to be "Waitrose".

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 9th 2012 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10162106)
stove-top espresso maker.

What's one of them?

britexpat76 Jul 9th 2012 12:10 pm

I think that's what you used in the 50's whilst listening to the wireless

Bahtatboy Jul 9th 2012 12:53 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10162369)
What's one of them?

Attachment 107598

Forget the proper name for them, but they're cheap as chips and brillian to boot. Just don't buy them in UK otherwise you'll pay the same number of £'s as they are AED here. (No, I can't remember where I bought mine...)

ps My Italian friend recommends bringing it nearly to the boil moderately quickly, then turning the heat down during the condensing phase. Works for me. I then usually heat some milk in the microwave, whisk it with a little electric whisk, and end up with perfect capuccino.