Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

I just got a written warning

I just got a written warning

Old Feb 20th 2013, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I just got a written warning

On a slightly different tack, a good friend of mine (also a TV presenter) has a whole raft of cleverly constructed wordings for different situations, complaints, etc.

His best achievement? An e-mail complaint to British Airways about something or other included the brilliant (IMHO) phrase 'A company is only as big as the size of its apology'. Response: two free-of-charge business class returns London-Los Angeles.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 2:50 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Last response from the MD, who seems more concerned about my deleting the email than anything else:
"Your email address was not on our system, I typed the address in manually and mistyped a letter. I am extremely sorry and would be grateful if we could put this behind us. Once again I will request that you delete the original email from your system as you were not the intended recipient."
Mistyped a letter and the email happened to go to someone who actually worked in Dubai, coincidence?

Last edited by mikewot; Feb 20th 2013 at 2:54 am.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
a good friend of mine (also a TV presenter) :
Nick Owen?

Luton connection...
Old Feb 20th 2013, 3:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mikewot
Last response from the MD, who seems more concerned about my deleting the email than anything else:
"Your email address was not on our system, I typed the address in manually and mistyped a letter. I am extremely sorry and would be grateful if we could put this behind us. Once again I will request that you delete the original email from your system as you were not the intended recipient."
Mistyped a letter and the email happened to go to someone who actually worked in Dubai, coincidence?
IN fairness, a typical shit yourself apology - probably a disclaimer saying if you're not the intended recipient blah blah blah.

Still nice to make senior folk's arseholes twitch.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 4:50 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
This guy got promoted to office manager and he thinks he is the manager of all those in the office. I will tell him tomorrow his responsibility stops at the photocopiers and not my attendance. I let rip today and he didn't know what to say.
Bitch slap him with a toner cartridge that'll learn him.

I heard one of our Egyptian chaps fighting with a similar office manager type who was pulling him up on always being late in the morning and he was going to dock him some pay. He told him if he did that he would cut his throat in his sleep.

So if option 1 doesn't work, try this method.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 4:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Bitch slap him with a toner cartridge that'll learn him.

I heard one of our Egyptian chaps fighting with a similar office manager type who was pulling him up on always being late in the morning and he was going to dock him some pay. He told him if he did that he would cut his throat in his sleep.

So if option 1 doesn't work, try this method.
That's amazing!

Still, tardiness is annoying.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 5:57 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leader
Wow, they can't have many locals working where you work if you get disciplined for turning in late.

N.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:56 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

The last company I worked for had the worst boss in the world!! He used to come in late but made sure that everyone was docked if they were even a second late and then used to stay in late, and I mean late till 9 or 10 in the night and made sure everyone stuck around with him. And on top of it he was an indecisive little ****er! So that meant all deadlines were always pushed to the absolute last minute and then make a desperate last minute ****y job of it all and ofcourse who gets blamed, everyone but the boss!
After putting up with his crap for 3 months (I needed that job then), I made sure I had my last salary in the bank, went into his office and absolutely GAVE it to him, a proper shouting match with the whole office listening, I made sure to leave the door open
Told him exactly what I thought of his working style and basically said what other people in the office who had been working with him for years couldnt or wouldnt say
He asked me to take a few days off which I did, but when he called and asked me when will I be coming back? I said I have better things to do! Utterly satisfying!

That was 12 years ago and everyday I thank the powers that be that I am my own boss now and do not have to put up with anyone!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:03 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

So Millhouse, How did your'Chat' go?
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
So Millhouse, How did your'Chat' go?
As expected. He was a puppy this morning and I forced an apology. I then reminded him that as Officer Manager he is not the manager of all those in the office.

Haven't had the email retracting his warning - I'll remind him about it tomorrow, else I will send it.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:35 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

As expected. He was a puppy this morning and I forced an apology. I then reminded him that as Officer Manager he is not the manager of all those in the office.

Haven't had the email retracting his warning - I'll remind him about it tomorrow, else I will send it.
I thought he had to hand you a written warning? Either way, he is a prick.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I thought he had to hand you a written warning? Either way, he is a prick.
it was by email.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:42 am
Account Closed

it was by email.
Did you ice cool silence him into submission or go both barrels?
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
Did you ice cool silence him into submission or go both barrels?
I went to his office, did the niceties and sat down. I let him talk for a while and didn't respond until he got to the point of just rambelling. He had already apologised by that time.

I then started with an opening of, 'Thanks for that. Of course, I'm expecting an email from you retracting it' and then went on to explain how he is not my boss and he had confused two different things etc. We finished we me saying, I won't hold this against you and we will not talk about this further.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:01 am
Account Closed

I went to his office, did the niceties and sat down. I let him talk for a while and didn't respond until he got to the point of just rambelling. He had already apologised by that time.

I then started with an opening of, 'Thanks for that. Of course, I'm expecting an email from you retracting it' and then went on to explain how he is not my boss and he had confused two different things etc. We finished we me saying, I won't hold this against you and we will not talk about this further.
So good.

In the few occasions where I've had disagreements with people and then sat to discuss I always sit silently and wait for everything they say to come out. There is nothing for them to fall back on and they'll just keep going and going and going until eventually you're actually proved to be correct!

Well played sir.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.