Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

i just don't get this...

i just don't get this...

Old Jun 27th 2010, 4:12 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i just don't get this...

Originally Posted by Alexa
Maybe airplane tickets are cheaper before the hols officially start? I don't know...
that could be a valid reason. I paid for my families tickets this summer as my logic was that we would use the annual tickets from the company at christmas as the tickets are usually a lot more expensive.

I found the cost of tikets to Aberdeen bloody expensive. Travelling this tuesday and returning 15 sep. KLM was the cheapest but still expensive.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
If I had a family out here I would send the wife and kids home for the summer. Leave the night school lets out, return the day before.

There's nothing to do in Dubai during the summer months that doesn't cost a lot of money. It's too hot to spend prolonged periods outside so the beaches are out of the question. Same for weekend camping. Malls get boring after a while and you spend a fortune out of boredom.

It's a great opportunity for people to reconnect to their families back home, rejoin whatever community you left and remind yourself that you are British/American/Whatever.

Not to mention that it's goddamn hot. I was cranky enough today and I can't imagine having several little kids running around underfoot. July and August is even worse.
Mini-Millhouse and Lisa go back every year. I hate it, it's so boring and lonley but sleeping in at the weekends is nice I guess and it is good for mini-M.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:03 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Mini-Millhouse and Lisa go back every year. I hate it, it's so boring and lonley but sleeping in at the weekends is nice I guess and it is good for mini-M.
sleep in??

Its my chance to get up at 3am for 6 hour bike rides..bliss..
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:04 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it that these days children have to be 'entertained' all the time?

-
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:12 am
banned

Originally Posted by Meow

-
dont think stimulating/entertaining children is a new invention.

Most adults would love to lounge around the house all summer as its too hot..it is just not good for kids.

My daughter has a broken ankle right now and is obviously pretty demobilised. She really gets frustrated as she wants to go swimming, playing on her bike, with the kids in the street etc etc.

She will go home to Scotland not to be 'entertained' but to spend time with her family and basically run around from 6am -6pm, be exhausted and then sleep, which as any parent will tell you is absolute bliss.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

-
no kids right?
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:48 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

no kids right?
And of course that means I have no knowledge of them & don't remember being one.

-
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:55 am
banned

And of course that means I have no knowledge of them & don't remember being one.

-
so you just sat around indoors during your childhood?

you have knowledge, but i would imagine no experience of dealing with under exercised or stimulated children day after day.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:55 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

-
I agree completely...being bored and staying bored or getting inventive and do something on your own with the massive amount of toys, books, pencils etc every kid has, is part of life...
I maybe went to the zoo once a year, once a year to some amusement park, 3 times to the movies and that was about it...(yeah, sad childhood eh)
Nowadays it seems like you are a bad bad parent if you don't go to every show in the Madinat, if you haven't been to Kidszania at least 10 times, if you don't drive them around town like a mad thing to every party, playdate, movie premiere etc that is happening...it's madness and it creates kids that think that they are the centre of the universe, kids that can't entertain themselves.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

-
correct.

I thought the same... but honestly when they live with you full time (i.e. not just look after some) it's easier (and more rewarding) to play with / educate them than just let them sit there (which they will not do - or at least mine will not do).

That said, we do try and encourage 'self play'. i.e. he goes in his playroom with his cars and we leave him to it.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MataHari
I agree completely...being bored and staying bored or getting inventive and do something on your own with the massive amount of toys, books, pencils etc every kid has, is part of life...
I maybe went to the zoo once a year, once a year to some amusement park, 3 times to the movies and that was about it...(yeah, sad childhood eh)
Nowadays it seems like you are a bad bad parent if you don't go to every show in the Madinat, if you haven't been to Kidszania at least 10 times, if you don't drive them around town like a mad thing to every party, playdate, movie premiere etc that is happening...it's madness and it creates kids that think that they are the centre of the universe, kids that can't entertain themselves.
I agree, but surely it is quite nice to paint, cook, play football etc with them? We never take mini-millhouse to these things. (just as I never went as a kid)
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:58 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by commander
so you just sat around indoors during your childhood?

you have knowledge, but i would imagine no experience of dealing with under exercised or stimulated children day after day.
You imagine wrong, as you really don't know my situation or history.

I asked a simple question & yet again it gets personal. When I was young - living in several different countries - we were not entertained by our parents every day, but managed to entertain ouselves. It wasn't always possible to play outside, but there were books, games and our imaginations. We didn't even have a TV for much of my childhood. It seems to me that children require more stimulation thes days in this world of large TVs, video games etc.

-
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

I have always found this scenario of mum and nippers all going home for the whole of the summer and leaving dad behind a bit strange.

I do however think it has reduced considerably as most mums work out here now and can't just bugger off for the summer.

When they get to teenage years, they actually in my exp do not want to go home for the entire summer, they have their friends here and the though of going home for the summer is not appealing to them anymore.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:12 am
banned

I agree, but surely it is quite nice to paint, cook, play football etc with them? We never take mini-millhouse to these things. (just as I never went as a kid)
same here, we never take our daughter to any of the things that MH mentions. In fact our neighbours looked at us with disdain cause we didnt fork out a fortune to go and see frikin Barney or the wiggles.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:13 am
banned

You imagine wrong, as you really don't know my situation or history.

I asked a simple question & yet again it gets personal. When I was young - living in several different countries - we were not entertained by our parents every day, but managed to entertain ouselves. It wasn't always possible to play outside, but there were books, games and our imaginations. We didn't even have a TV for much of my childhood. It seems to me that children require more stimulation thes days in this world of large TVs, video games etc.

-
okay, you have kids live with you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.