British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   I have now joined the ranks.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/i-have-now-joined-ranks-605226/)

IndieG Apr 24th 2009 6:16 am

I have now joined the ranks....

of the redundant.....but I have already lined up another job, which I am supposed to start from 1/6.

What I did not expect is that I would end up getting paid over 12 months (14.5 months to be precise) pay as a result!

Well, first they paid me a retention bonus, 2 months ago, so that I don't leave and then my redundancy pay to make me leave, and then a massive bonus - twice what I got last year (this after I've been made redundant and most unexpected:blink:). And as a result of all this, I'm now sooooo tempted to put my feet up a bit for a well deserved rest and forget the new job:lol:

The bad news is that you might see more of me on BE ....lol

benzonar Apr 24th 2009 6:17 am

Re: I have now joined the ranks....

If I was in your position I would go off and work with Orangutans in Sumatra for a year.

IndieG Apr 24th 2009 6:19 am

Originally Posted by benzonar (Post 7509507)
If I was in your position I would go off and work with Orangutans in Sumatra for a year.

Yeah, makes a nice change to work with some smart folks:D

moto111 Apr 24th 2009 6:19 am

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 7509498)
of the redundant.....but I have already lined up another job, which I am supposed to start from 1/6.

What I did not expect is that I would end up getting paid over 12 months (14.5 months to be precise) pay as a result!

Well, first they paid me a retention bonus, 2 months ago, so that I don't leave and then my redundancy pay to make me leave, and then a massive bonus - twice what I got last year (this after I've been made redundant and most unexpected:blink:). And as a result of all this, I'm now sooooo tempted to put my feet up a bit for a well deserved rest and forget the new job:lol:

Congratulations on the new job and enjoy your month off.....

IndieG Apr 24th 2009 6:21 am

Originally Posted by moto111 (Post 7509513)
Congratulations on the new job and enjoy your month off.....

month off?? nooooo - I'd like a couple of years off...may be 5....

MataHari Apr 24th 2009 6:24 am

oh...well...that is sort of good news then isn't it....congratulations
if you have to think about whether or not you want to take time off, maybe that whole doing nothing thing isn't for you, lol...

Blue Cat Apr 24th 2009 6:36 am

every cloud has a sliver lining Indie!! Well done :thumbup:

Confucius Apr 24th 2009 6:43 am

I am so sorry for your loss...Things will pickup soon, I'm sure...

IndieG Apr 24th 2009 7:05 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7509529)
oh...well...that is sort of good news then isn't it....congratulations
if you have to think about whether or not you want to take time off, maybe that whole doing nothing thing isn't for you, lol...

Yes, it is good....nice to get a long paid holiday!

Thanks BC...

Conf...what loss?!

Confucius Apr 24th 2009 7:07 am

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 7509647)
Yes, it is good....nice to get a long paid holiday!

Thanks BC...

Conf...what loss?!

Don't mind me...

Spugsy Apr 24th 2009 7:29 am

3 months in thailand.

Do it pet.

IndieG Apr 24th 2009 7:38 am

Mmmmm..... sounds good Spugsy....

Inselaffen Apr 24th 2009 9:42 am

congrats on the new job Indie.

IndieG Apr 24th 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks Inse :-)

Am planning to take a longish, much needed break from the rat race, so doubt that I will take up the new job.

Blue Cat Apr 24th 2009 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 7510407)
Thanks Inse :-)

Am planning to take a longish, much needed break from the rat race, so doubt that I will take up the new job.

good on you Indie ;) I worked for 20 years before giving it up, I miss it a bit now but do enjoy the free time I have :)