Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

I have already tried the search function.....

I have already tried the search function.....

Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of
Default I have already tried the search function.....

What is the process for buying a second hand car here. I did check and found SOME answers with the search, before I get mauled for that.

Tasjeel - what is it exactly (I guess like MOT back in UK) and who/what does it apply too? And I think it needs doing yearly, like MOT in UK - correct?

I found via search that the seller has to be with you most of that way, its not just a "hand log book/registration over for cash" job like UK, so that's reassuring (in a way).

Insurance - is it the vehicle that's insured or per named person? Or does it vary across different companies?

Anything else I need to know about owning a car here? It will be my first private car, had company cars so far.

Cheers all
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:48 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have already tried the search function.....

Originally Posted by Bigtaff
What is the process for buying a second hand car here. I did check and found SOME answers with the search, before I get mauled for that.

Tasjeel - what is it exactly (I guess like MOT back in UK) and who/what does it apply too? And I think it needs doing yearly, like MOT in UK - correct?

I found via search that the seller has to be with you most of that way, its not just a "hand log book/registration over for cash" job like UK, so that's reassuring (in a way).

Insurance - is it the vehicle that's insured or per named person? Or does it vary across different companies?

Anything else I need to know about owning a car here? It will be my first private car, had company cars so far.

Cheers all
There's an excellent book from Explorer which covers all of this kind of stuff: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dubai-Red-ta.../dp/9768182679 and in Magrudys etc.

Not done it myself though yet, so can't add any of the minutiae which may complicate things.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:09 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigtaff

basically an mot, has to be done yrly on all cars over 3yrs old,all fines must be paid at the same time or before for it to be issued.pretty basic test but they do randomly fail you for dirt, stickers and other assorted bollocks depending on mood

hand over no cash until the registration has been transferred to your name in the rta centre. ie go to centre and do a transfer of ownership previous owner must clear any and all fines etc and provide proof of ownership letter from bank etc if needed, then you pay

vehicle not individual

yup all the dealers bar none are useless and will screw you on parts costs etc

Cheers all
see above
Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

Nice one!!