British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   I even like his name... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/i-even-like-his-name-831843/)

Bahtatboy Apr 21st 2014 3:19 pm

I even like his name...

Drinking up to six pints a day is OK for your health, a leading alcohol scientist has claimed.

Dr Kari Poikolainen, who used to work for the World Health Organisation as an alcohol expert, examined decades of research into its effects.

Could be a her, of course.

Excellent, in-depth article by the Fail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ul-health.html

martinbkk Apr 21st 2014 5:55 pm

Re: I even like his name...

Cheers!

scot47 Apr 21st 2014 6:14 pm

Would you trust a Finn to give advice on alcohol ?

OleJanx Apr 21st 2014 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11228090)
Would you trust a Finn to give advice on alcohol ?

Absolut -ly!

martinbkk Apr 21st 2014 6:45 pm

Why not? They probably know more about it than most.

martinbkk Apr 21st 2014 6:51 pm

Mind you, odd bunch these Finns, d'ya think it's the booze?

This stamp will be released by Finland's post office later this year

http://files.kotisivukone.com/kulttu...inland_450.jpg

The Finnish postal service revealed 33 new stamp designs this week, and tucked among the winter scenes and autumnal gardens is this: a man’s bare behind, lifted from a design drawn by one of the country’s most prominent illustrators, Touko Laaksonen, known as “Tom of Finland.”

The stamps, which will debut in September, feature three of Laaksonen’s drawings bearing his trademark leather-bound muscle men. The images embody the “confident and proud homoeroticism” of Laaksonen’s work, according to Itella Posti. “The sheet portrays a sensual life force and being proud of oneself,” Timo Berry, a graphic designer who helped select the art, said in a statement. “There is never too much of that in this northern country.”

The U.S. Postal Service recently said that it will release a new stamp to honor Harvey Milk, the gay rights activist assassinated in San Francisco in the late-1970s. The stamp, which has yet to be revealed, will be dedicated at the White House in late-May. That will make Milk the first openly gay figure on an American stamp.

From Time.com

moneypenny20 Apr 22nd 2014 1:39 am

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 11228180)

The Finnish postal service revealed 33 new stamp designs this week, and tucked among the winter scenes and autumnal gardens is this: a man’s bare behind, lifted from a design drawn by one of the country’s most prominent illustrators, Touko Laaksonen, known as “Tom of Finland.”

The stamps, which will debut in September, feature three of Laaksonen’s drawings bearing his trademark leather-bound muscle men. The images embody the “confident and proud homoeroticism” of Laaksonen’s work, according to Itella Posti. “The sheet portrays a sensual life force and being proud of oneself,” Timo Berry, a graphic designer who helped select the art, said in a statement. “There is never too much of that in this northern country.”

The U.S. Postal Service recently said that it will release a new stamp to honor Harvey Milk, the gay rights activist assassinated in San Francisco in the late-1970s. The stamp, which has yet to be revealed, will be dedicated at the White House in late-May. That will make Milk the first openly gay figure on an American stamp.

From Time.com

He's either missing a penis or the guy is being stabbed in his left eye. Nice bum though.

Backinthesand Apr 22nd 2014 6:39 am

Alcohol expert - what a great job title

Bahtatboy Apr 22nd 2014 6:57 am

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 11228180)

From Time.com

Try looking at that stamp and saying "philatelist" with a straight face...

Bahtatboy Apr 22nd 2014 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 11228859)
I am feeling jealousy for the first time in a long time.

I'd change careers for a job title like that :)

N.

Good grief, when I read the first line I thought you were referring to the stamp... :blink:

weasel decentral Apr 22nd 2014 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Backinthesand (Post 11228672)
Alcohol expert - what a great job title

I'm no alcohol expert but six pints a day sounds slightly unhealthy.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 22nd 2014 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11228967)
I'm no alcohol expert but six pints a day sounds slightly unhealthy.

How many calories in a pint? Even if it's 200, that's 1200 a day. That's half your allowance gone.

I'm all for it but I reckon if I drank 6 pints a day I'd be 6 stone heavier PDQ.

Bahtatboy Apr 22nd 2014 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 11229119)
I'd have to wax first and spend some time in the gym before I get that ambitious...

N.

If they're the only changes, I'm not coming for cigars.

weasel decentral Apr 22nd 2014 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11229059)
How many calories in a pint? Even if it's 200, that's 1200 a day. That's half your allowance gone.

I'm all for it but I reckon if I drank 6 pints a day I'd be 6 stone heavier PDQ.

Never mind the weight gain, I don't think I could function with 6 pints on board every day.

Bahtatboy Apr 22nd 2014 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11229200)
Never mind the weight gain, I don't think I could function with 6 pints on board every day.

Maybe Finnish beer's piss. Probably not, though.