Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

I am thinking of a new car

I am thinking of a new car

Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:50 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am thinking of a new car

Originally Posted by mikewot
I had a 406 then a 407 in UK, ran them both into the ground, they were great cars on the motorways. 406 was the better model as witness the number in use as taxi's.
a few people here have warned me of Peugeot's due to the gearbox and AC issues. We were going to get there sports thing, nice looking car but after a lot of research we changed out minds. Nice looking cars though but they don't appear to hold their price here.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

I had a 406 then a 407 in UK, ran them both into the ground, they were great cars on the motorways. 406 was the better model as witness the number in use as taxi's.
My current car is a 406 V6, which I will keep until it starts to cost me money to repair. So far it's OK, but it's worth nothing but the scrap metal value ( about £85) The big problem with Peugeots' is that their value drops like a waxed anvil until they are worthless. Possibly a good second hand buy, but catastrophic new.

Last edited by OleJanx; Jun 16th 2013 at 10:23 am.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:23 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
My current car is a 406 V6, which I will keep until it starts to cost me money to repair. So far it's OK, but it's worth nothing but the scrap metal value ( about £85)
Exactly, the push point for me was when it did enough miles for cam belt change (and water pump).
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, the push point for me was when it did enough miles for cam belt change (and water pump).
The V6 has a timing chain, so not a problem ( fingers crossed...)
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Similar, we as a family and myself as an individual had several in the UK.

309 GL from new, sold at 150,000.
405 GRD was a bit of a tank, non turbo so took a bit of winding up.
205 1.1 Tahiti, bought for £400, drove for 2yrs and added ~50,000 and sold for £380. 4 speed but drove like a go cart - great low speed fun!
309 GRi (AWESOME car - best car I have ever had, a rocket ship - was still mint with zero rust when I scrapped it), unfortunately she got too expensive to maintain at 14yrs old and 175,000 in .
309 GTi (not as good or as quick as the GRi but still a lot of car for the money).

Personally I think they have always had a bad rap. They have always been good workhorses in our family and living in the country battered every which way. Also the fast pugs are great cars, especially the ones with the 1.6 GTi engines and the close ratio box. The 1.9 GTi was OK but without the close ration box they were a bit meh!
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Every 50K generally for the timing chain. Water pump dependent on how strict you were with using proper coolants. Easy fix tho, I did a few over the years.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Every 50K generally for the timing chain. Water pump dependent on how strict you were with using proper coolants. Easy fix tho, I did a few over the years.
The big Pug problem is that some of them are fast, but all of them are a bit flimsy. As you say though, good work horses if you don't mind the interior falling apart around you. Mine is an ex unmarked police car, so the inside is full of holes where radios, ect were. Rattles like a bag of spanners going down a metal staircase...
Old Jun 16th 2013, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OleJanx
The big Pug problem is that some of them are fast, but all of them are a bit flimsy. As you say though, good work horses if you don't mind the interior falling apart around you. Mine is an ex unmarked police car, so the inside is full of holes where radios, ect were. Rattles like a bag of spanners going down a metal staircase...
Agreed, on my GRi the whole car was immaculate except the ******* glove box catch was broken. Back then I was always in and out of scrap yards getting bits for my Mini's or mates cars and not once did I find a 309 where the glove box wasn't broken.

Other than that tho, there was no rust and everything worked as it should. She was a truly epic car, especially as I had only passed my test 6 months before. There wasn't much around that could keep up with her initially around the mountains of N Wales and later up in Scotland.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

I had the 206 Roland Garros edition which felt bloody luxurious. Lovely suede interior and full length glass roof. Sold it to my mate when I left UK in 2005 and he still drives it.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

6 x 309s left

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle...t_309_gri#!tax
Old Jun 16th 2013, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
That's 6 too many having just google imaged it.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
That's 6 too many having just google imaged it.
Ha ha, I agree, they're not exactly 'a looker'.....

Always been known as the ugly sister to the 205.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Well 6 licenced and 8 SORN'd.

Funnily enough I was on there this morning when this chat started.

I googled one and found an advert for one in the UK with 44,000miles in mint condition..... Would buy that in a flash if I was in the UK.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Ha ha, I agree, they're not exactly 'a looker'.....

Always been known as the ugly sister to the 205.
I've eaten curries, drank beer and shit better looking things out the following morning.

Might give you a semi when driving it but I can guarantee there are better looking, newer, equally fun cars to drive....
Old Jun 16th 2013, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
I've eaten curries, drank beer and shit better looking things out the following morning.

Might give you a semi when driving it but I can guarantee there are better looking, newer, equally fun cars to drive....
I didn't say there wasn't..... so back at ya!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.