Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

A hypothetical question...

A hypothetical question...

Old Sep 10th 2009, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all
Default Re: A hypothetical question...

In countries such as UAE they use dynamic IP allocation which is typically allocated at the exchange which is why they can get your general location. I and some friends are pretty whizz at networks and I would have a better chance of locating you via your wireless router than your IP address LOL.
Ok, so to put my paranoia to the test - can you find me?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 8:57 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A hypothetical question..

Not today, I am too busy :-)
Old Sep 10th 2009, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

OK, when you have time! Seriously - I'd like to know.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 10:36 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
OK, when you have time! Seriously - I'd like to know.
come on fess up why you so worried?
Old Sep 11th 2009, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
He owes me money...........
Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Well, it's nothing too heinous but you know how discussion of certain topics is a bit dodgy here and could even end up with you being imprisioned or thrown out of the country, I was just wondering if my anonymity on an internet forum was as assured as I hoped it was!
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

Hawkhead,
Have no fear as the only way you can be tracked down is via your ISP (internet Service Provider).
This is why the people who are trying to crack down on Peer to Peer sharing i.e. bittorrent have to get the agreement from the ISP's before they can find anybody.
In the UK your IP address is usually allocated dynamically by your service provider. So that means that when you first turn on your router at home you are allocated an address (this will change if you turn off your router for a period of time as addresses expire if not in use). This address will be in a range owned by the service provider so we can for example tell what country you are in and who your service provider is but not who or where you are exactly.
The only person who knows that info is your service provider.
In the UK they will not give out that information, however I assume if you are suspected of something along the lines of kiddy fiddling or terrorism the man will find out.
The only reason you need a fixed IP address is if you are running a website because in that situation you want your site to be found.
I doubt that the system is any different here as far as ISP’s are concerned.
By the way if you are in an apartment where the internet connection is provided (as I am) there will be one address for the whole building. i.e. the man cannot tell what apartment you are in only the building.

OK geekness over, hope that helps more than it confuses
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:18 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Notionally they can find you if they want and it doesn't matter if you have a dynamic ip, a static ip or go through a proxy/vpn (which is what is happening when you see different people having the same ip. the proxy/vpn service could be based on a very small pool of ip addresses, even just a single one).

However there are a few hurdles they have to jump to find you. First they need to get hold of the ip address you used (probably easy), then they need to find out who owns that ip block (very easy), then they need to convince the owner of the ip block to tell them who used it at that specific time (this is where it can get complicated depending on which of the three scenarios you fall into).

1. If it is a static ip they can find out straight away who you are
2. If it is a dynamic ip they will need to check their logs to see who was allocated a particular ip address at the time of the incident (or whatever you want to call it).
3. If the ip belongs to a proxy/vpn then they will need to check their logs for who was allocated the ip at the time of the incident, and then they will need to check their transaction logs for who was accessing the site of the incident at the time of the incident. Then they can find out your 'real' ip, and the next step would be that they would go through the same exercise from scratch on this ip. If you were someone who didn't want to be discovered you basically have two choices; use multiple layers of proxies/vpn (as you sometimes see in the movies) or just use a proxy/vpn provider who doesn't log transaction traffic (which obviously is simpler. I don't know of any of the top of my head. And please bear in mind they might claim not to log, but that doesn't mean they don't!)...

And least but perhaps most important. IP block owners (ISP's etc) and proxy/vpn providers don't like sharing their user information, and most of them (if they are respectable) will require a court order. And even with a court order some of them will resist as they view it as contradicting the purpose of the internet.

There have been some pretty horrific stories of incorrect logging of ip usage being used as basis for lawsuits recently (as part of the fight against music and movie piracy), and the fortunate thing for you and me is that this means that the appetite for releasing such information by ISP's etc is close to non-existent. In Europe! I somehow don't think you'd find the same resistance from ISP's in the Middle East.

Anyway, this was meant to be a short post...but no such luck!
Old Sep 13th 2009, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by norsk
And least but perhaps most important. IP block owners (ISP's etc) and proxy/vpn providers don't like sharing their user information, and most of them (if they are respectable) will require a court order. And even with a court order some of them will resist as they view it as contradicting the purpose of the internet.
....and the fortunate thing for you and me is that this means that the appetite for releasing such information by ISP's etc is close to non-existent. In Europe! I somehow don't think you'd find the same resistance from ISP's in the Middle East.
Unfortunately Etishite will give that information out in a heartbeat if the right person asks. I have heard of private telephone numbers being given out to people, who know people. Lead to a stalking by an "officer" of the law. Nasty
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

...say someone on an internet forum really insulted me or hacked me off so much I wanted to get them, how easy would it be for me to get an IP address or something and track down their place of abode?
(This really is hypothetical - you won't be aiding and abetting a murder or anything if you answer.)
Do you want a hypothetical answer???
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's nothing too heinous but you know how discussion of certain topics is a bit dodgy here and could even end up with you being imprisioned or thrown out of the country, I was just wondering if my anonymity on an internet forum was as assured as I hoped it was!
I am sure they would find you easily, not too many people with mohawk heads in Abu Dhabi...
Old Sep 14th 2009, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Unfortunately Etishite will give that information out in a heartbeat if the right person asks. I have heard of private telephone numbers being given out to people, who know people. Lead to a stalking by an "officer" of the law. Nasty
Yeah that was the kind of thing I am worried about! It's all very well saying that in the UK personal info isn't given out but here all you need is a bit of wasta and bob's your uncle....
Old Sep 14th 2009, 5:17 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that was the kind of thing I am worried about! It's all very well saying that in the UK personal info isn't given out but here all you need is a bit of wasta and bob's your uncle....
so...just be nice to people on tinternet...it's not that hard