British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   A hypothetical question... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/hypothetical-question-630015/)

hawkhead Sep 10th 2009 5:04 am

A hypothetical question...

...say someone on an internet forum really insulted me or hacked me off so much I wanted to get them, how easy would it be for me to get an IP address or something and track down their place of abode?
(This really is hypothetical - you won't be aiding and abetting a murder or anything if you answer.)

MataHari Sep 10th 2009 5:10 am

Re: A hypothetical question...

don't think an IP adress will give you much info, at least not enough to actually find the person...thank god, lol...

hawkhead Sep 10th 2009 5:41 am

But IP addresses are unique right? Do computer shops keep records of which computer goes where? The police use IP addresses to try to counteract credit card fraud don't they?

Blue Cat Sep 10th 2009 5:43 am

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7919095)
But IP addresses are unique right? Do computer shops keep records of which computer goes where? The police use IP addresses to try to counteract credit card fraud don't they?

I always thought they were unique but they aren't. I have got a forum and I can see everyone who has registered and their IP's. It is really weird because I have often seen two people posting from the same IP when I know for a fact they don't live in the same house/apartment or even same area. It's tricky when it comes to trying to ban someone by IP because often you ban other members as well!! All very strange to say the least.

hawkhead Sep 10th 2009 5:45 am

And how easy would it be for anyone else to see these IP addresses?

Blue Cat Sep 10th 2009 5:48 am

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7919099)
And how easy would it be for anyone else to see these IP addresses?

only the administrator of the site can see them, ie me. But I would imagine if the Police forced me to give the information on a poster then I would have to ?

MataHari Sep 10th 2009 5:52 am

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7919095)

if you pay in cash for your computer, surely no one knows who you are...and who is to say that the person who buys the computer is also the one that is actually the user?

Blue Cat Sep 10th 2009 5:54 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7919109)
if you pay in cash for your computer, surely no one knows who you are...and who is to say that the person who buys the computer is also the one that is actually the user?

valid point, but you read about IP's being tracked etc, I have no idea how it works!!

hawkhead Sep 10th 2009 5:57 am

valid point, but you read about IP's being tracked etc, I have no idea how it works!!
Exactly! I can understand the powers that be being able to do it (as you said the police could probably force you to give IP addresses) but how easy would it be for the wo/man in the street?

MataHari Sep 10th 2009 5:59 am

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7919116)
Exactly! I can understand the powers that be being able to do it (as you said the police could probably force you to give IP addresses) but how easy would it be for the wo/man in the street?

so...who are you planning to insult

Blue Cat Sep 10th 2009 6:06 am

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7919116)

so what you really mean is who can see your IP and what can they do with it! on this site I think the administrators can see IP's but not the Moderators, can't remember. So no a woman on the street can't see your IP.

hawkhead Sep 10th 2009 6:13 am

so what you really mean is who can see your IP and what can they do with it! on this site I think the administrators can see IP's but not the Moderators, can't remember. So no a woman on the street can't see your IP.
OK, good! Not planning on insulting anyone, just getting a bit of big brother style paranoia!!

Emerald_Eyes Sep 10th 2009 6:14 am

Just google IP Address lookup or locator. These free online search engines can usually tell where the IP Address is located and whether it is associated with a company. Not sure if it'll give you an individuals name though.

MataHari Sep 10th 2009 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7919125)

a quick google tells me you can't really find out more than a general location of the user...any more and you'll need to go through the police/courts...

MataHari Sep 10th 2009 6:25 am