British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Hydra Properties and Pompey FC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/hydra-properties-pompey-fc-612166/)

Spugsy May 31st 2009 8:32 am

Hydra Properties and Pompey FC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...mouth-takeover

Sulaiman Al Fahim launched his bid for Portsmouth last week amid investor concerns about the viability of his Dubai property project. Hydra Village, the flagship 2500-villa development of Fahim's Hydra Properties, was due for completion this year but will not now be delivered for another two years due to what the company says are "changes to the masterplan".

Deteriorating relations between purchasers of off-plan properties and the company reached a head when legal notices were sent to those investors who the company claimed had defaulted on scheduled payments.

A Facebook group of disgruntled purchasers, Hydra Investors Group, has been set up and one told the Observer: "Virtually nothing has been started on site. Indeed, only around 40 villas have been half constructed near the road to give the illusion of progress."

The dispute led to talks between investors and the developer's senior executives 10 days ago. According to the website arabianbusiness.com, which first carried the news of Al Fahim's interest in Portsmouth, the second meeting ended in turmoil as four investors were thrown off the premises under the orders of Hydra's commercial director, Ahmed Khalil.

Separate meetings have been held in person with Al Fahim, with Karl Howard, the co-chair of Hydra Investors Group, quoted as saying: "The issue we are facing is investor confidence about the company situation and how much progress they have made. If they could give people that assurance it would be built and the contract wasn't so one sided, then the problems would largely go away."

But in his book, Brand Builder, Al Fahim sets out clearly that he has devised a business model where the risk resides entirely with the customer: "I want to build a US$100m residential development. I sell all the units long before I have started building it.

"My investors begin with a 10% down-payment and, if I do my sums correctly, that gives me US$10m. I give that to the contractor who begins his work.

"After he finishes the first phase, my investors owe me another 10% – another US$10m – which I happen to owe the contractor again, and effectively pass this money straight on to him.

"In some ways, with this your return on equity is infinite because you don't even pay for the land. I call it IRR – ­infinite rate of return. This is the dream scenario, but it will not last forever because you will not always have a market with huge demand and short supply. These kind of markets are very hard to find.

"The liability is with the customer in this scenario."

Certainly the huge-demand-short-supply market has not lasted forever in Dubai. Durham University's expert on the Gulf region, Chris Davidson, who is the author of the book Dubai: The ­Vulnerability of Success, said yesterday that Dubai was a "bubble that has burst".

"Many foreign investors are not shying away from lawsuits any more because they are not worried about not working in the Gulf any more, they just want to get their money out," said Davidson. "The suspicions that in many cases the ­developers have been running Ponzi schemes [whereby new investors' money is used to generate returns for existing customers] have been confirmed to me."

There is no suggestion that Hydra is operating a Ponzi scheme, but if other small developers have indeed been guilty of doing so it has placed heavy downward pressure on demand for property in Dubai.

On announcing his interest in ­Portsmouth on Wednesday, Al Fahim was asked about perceptions that Hydra is experiencing money difficulties and offered reassurance. "The world is in difficult economic times, and some ­people apparently resort to all sorts of badmouthing," he said. "Hydra is a resilient and solid company. And even though we – like the other companies in the UAE and around the world– are facing challenging times due to the real estate recession, I have a strong team assisting me as the CEO of the company.

"However, let me be very clear in saying that my involvement in ­Portsmouth has nothing to do with Hydra. The money for the Portsmouth Football Club acquisition and the needed future investment has been raised through the network of Falcon Equity from Asian and Middle Eastern investors. None of these investors are from the real estate sector or part of a royal family."

Sandboy May 31st 2009 8:39 am

Re: Hydra Properties and Pompey FC

modern football is shit, if I was at home I reckon I'd be watching Birtley or Gateshead

Spugsy May 31st 2009 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 7619682)
modern football is shit, if I was at home I reckon I'd be watching Birtley or Gateshead

a load of my mates went to wembley to see Whitley Bay win the cup a few weeks ago, they had a great day out.

lionheart May 31st 2009 10:07 am

Why are you resurrecting last week's news Spugsy, having a dull day at work?

Sandboy May 31st 2009 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7619790)
a load of my mates went to wembley to see Whitley Bay win the cup a few weeks ago, they had a great day out.

aye, proper football

I slept through the cup final yesterday, and I understand Ashley Cole now holds the record for the number of cup wins, summat's not reet

Spugsy May 31st 2009 10:21 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7619826)
Why are you resurrecting last week's news Spugsy, having a dull day at work?

I don;t have dull days, and this is new to me - the info about him and his money.

Spugsy May 31st 2009 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 7619831)
aye, proper football

I slept through the cup final yesterday, and I understand Ashley Cole now holds the record for the number of cup wins, summat's not reet

I didn't bother - champions league was good but I couldn't be arsed with yesterday, if it was on showtime I would have happily watched it mind.

Watched the championship review (aye aye), man goal of the season had some absolute belters.

lionheart May 31st 2009 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7619855)
I didn't bother - champions league was good but I couldn't be arsed with yesterday, if it was on showtime I would have happily watched it mind.

Watched the championship review (aye aye), man goal of the season had some absolute belters.

You should have watched the rugger instead, man...
Royals 25-37 British Lions
England 26-33 Barbarians
Blue Bulls 61-17 Chiefs

Bloody marvellous entertainment, especially the Bulls winning the Super 14 Final in front of over 50,000 manic Pretorians...and their cheer leaders.:thumbup:

Spugsy May 31st 2009 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7620411)
You should have watched the rugger instead, man...
Royals 25-37 British Lions
England 26-33 Barbarians
Blue Bulls 61-17 Chiefs

Bloody marvellous entertainment, especially the Bulls winning the Super 14 Final in front of over 50,000 manic Pretorians...and their cheer leaders.:thumbup:

I hate rugby.

Shadya May 31st 2009 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7620451)
I hate rugby.

But it's a game for thugs played by gentlemen, unlike association football...

Sandboy May 31st 2009 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 7620540)

nah.... it's a game for fat lads who weren't quick enough to play football

Spugsy Jun 1st 2009 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 7620540)

you say some weird things Shadya pet.

lionheart Jun 1st 2009 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7622064)
you say some weird things Shadya pet.

You have never heard of the saying that soccer is a game for gentlemen played by thugs and rugby is a game for thugs played by gentlemen? Its as old as the hills, mate.

Spugsy Jun 1st 2009 7:31 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7622146)
You have never heard of the saying that soccer is a game for gentlemen played by thugs and rugby is a game for thugs played by gentlemen? Its as old as the hills, mate.

it was teh 'association football' thing that threw me.

Darkwan Jun 15th 2009 10:24 am

More PR by "Dr" Sulaiman. One would think that delivering his projects would be his priority.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/09/bu...20fahim&st=cse