British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   HSBC Middle East to slash jobs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/hsbc-middle-east-slash-jobs-752293/)

Meow Mar 21st 2012 10:36 am

HSBC Middle East to slash jobs

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/exclu...ce=twitterfeed

I know that they were planning to lauch a fancy online magazine last year but shelved that plan, which this move somewhat explains.

kittycat1 Mar 21st 2012 10:46 am

Re: HSBC Middle East to slash jobs

I bank with HSBC- is my money safe meow?

Meow Mar 21st 2012 10:48 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9964540)
I bank with HSBC- is my money safe meow?

Yes.

kittycat1 Mar 21st 2012 10:50 am

hoorah :D

Bahtatboy Mar 21st 2012 11:02 am

"HSBC is going through a global efficiency programme to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of our organisation," the company wrote in a statement sent to Arabian Business.

:):D:rofl::hysterical::hysterical::sick::banghead: :flypig:

Robajob Mar 21st 2012 11:14 am

Just got an email from them saying they are reviewing my application for a credit card and I should get an answer within the next 48 hours.

I applied about a month ago.....

I confidently expect someone from Aramex to ring my wife in about 3 months time to inform her that my card is waiting for me in Riyadh, provided I collect in the next 8 hours.

Sandboy Mar 21st 2012 11:23 am

I heard this morning they had a branch at DIFC which dealt with the mega rich and that was going

*could be bollocks of course but no smoke etc...

The Dean Mar 21st 2012 12:28 pm

I heard a loud whisper that there are conflicting regulatory issues for them here, and that certain functions/departments must close (as they admit in their radio ads, they are regulated by Jersey). :huh:

littlejimmy Mar 21st 2012 1:44 pm

I still don't get how the self-styled World Bank can't seem to create links between accounts in the UK and UAE.

I could go on about HSBC all day. And I do.

Desert Shaikh Mar 21st 2012 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 9964619)
I heard this morning they had a branch at DIFC which dealt with the mega rich and that was going

Might be because there are not many mega rich people left in Dubai to make the branches existence worthwhile.

Meow Mar 21st 2012 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Desert Shaikh (Post 9965073)
Might be because there are not many mega rich people left in Dubai to make the branches existence worthwhile.

There are still plenty, but it's on the investment or 'wealth management' (I hate that term) that they aren't making enough money. Their advice is lousy and very limited so it's no surprise.

OriginalSunshine Mar 22nd 2012 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9964859)
I still don't get how the self-styled World Bank can't seem to create links between accounts in the UK and UAE.

I could go on about HSBC all day. And I do.

I (partially) bank with HSBC in Oman, and have no trouble sending money across to HSBC in the UK. The transfer is free as well.

Meow Mar 25th 2012 11:36 am

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 9966872)
I (partially) bank with HSBC in Oman, and have no trouble sending money across to HSBC in the UK. The transfer is free as well.

No fees, but you'll be getting a lousy exchange rate. That's where they make their money...

OriginalSunshine Mar 25th 2012 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9971363)
No fees, but you'll be getting a lousy exchange rate. That's where they make their money...

I check the exchange rate against other options I have out here, and they are ok (i'm not a complete numpty when it comes to money having lived in 5 different countries in the last 17 years). I could use xe.com, but that's a pain, and other banks and transfer options charge fees for similar exchange rates.

Millhouse Mar 25th 2012 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 9971534)
I check the exchange rate against other options I have out here, and they are ok (i'm not a complete numpty when it comes to money having lived in 5 different countries in the last 17 years). I could use xe.com, but that's a pain, and other banks and transfer options charge fees for similar exchange rates.

UAE exchange.