Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

HSBC Customer Service... Aargh

HSBC Customer Service... Aargh

Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:29 am
meonline

meonline is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry HSBC Customer Service... Aargh

Just wanted to know if anyone has had any problems cancelling standing orders with HSBC. I have asked them to cancel a standing order 5 times but to date they have still not done it and the standing orders are unneccessarily being paid out leaving me out of pocket. I have an HSBC account back in the UK and cannot understand how something so simple can be so difficult for them here. I have been tearing my hair out over the phone trying to get somebody to take responsibility, however I think they hardly have anybody competent in their company. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Zico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really nice
Default Re: HSBC Customer Service... Aargh

I have a HSBC Premier account in the UK and cancel SO via the online banking facility. Its easier to manage your own account that way. If you dont have online banking then, I too, am not sure why they cant manage to do it. Its a 2 step process - request cancellation, confirm the aforementioned.

Simple.

The Worlds Local Bank.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:47 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

I bank with HSBC and never have any problems, but then I deal with customer service as little as possible. As Zico recommends I do everything online myself. However, in your case I suggest you go into your HSBC branch and speak with someone face to face. Shout at them and generally go a bit nuts, that should do the job. Also if you have an email trail or a record of the calls you made to them, than that will also help. Good luck.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Zico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really nice

ooh you little hottie
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:55 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meonline
Just wanted to know if anyone has had any problems cancelling standing orders with HSBC. I have asked them to cancel a standing order 5 times but to date they have still not done it and the standing orders are unneccessarily being paid out leaving me out of pocket. I have an HSBC account back in the UK and cannot understand how something so simple can be so difficult for them here. I have been tearing my hair out over the phone trying to get somebody to take responsibility, however I think they hardly have anybody competent in their company. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
they are utter shit, if you want anything done, go into a branch and do it in person.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 6:16 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spugsy
they are utter shit, if you want anything done, go into a branch and do it in person.
I do everything on-line with HSBC and have encountered surprisingly few problems. Standing orders have been changed without a hitch. My only headache is that the ATM machines at DFC occasionally reject my HSBC card at the weekends, when they are most needed. Usually get my cash out on a Thursday instead.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC in UAE are OK if you do on line banking - however I have had the pleasure of visiting the AD branch on Airport Road and had to wait an average of 50 minutes for a teller on both occassions.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Prince_Charming is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a HSBC Premier account and the service is fantastic
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:42 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

If you try putting HSBC in predictive text on your phone, one of the options it gives you is GRAB.

Nuff said.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:07 pm
meonline

meonline is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spugsy

Ironically, I did go into the branch too to get it done but they said I should contact telebanking. I guess it just comes down to luck. You cannot win in this country.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Chrissie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, sorry but the bad news is, if you want anything done by HSBC you have to go back to England and your local branch and speak to them. I spent five months in Thailand unable to get any money out of my HSBC account. They are absolute F***wits. When I spoke to them on the phone they said they could arrange for me to receive money by Western Union, it was only going to cost me fifteen quid to access my own money. I might add that I had more than sufficient funds in my account.
Sorry but they seem incapable of simple instructions and don't get me started on telephone conversations with them.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

Have had zero problems with HSBC - in fact, they have offered us some of the best service we have received from any organisation since arriving 2 years ago.

We originally contacted Barclays and HSBC re mortgage, and only Barclays responded. Ended up with a barclays account as it was required for the mortgage. Their service however is attrocious (even as a "premier" customer), and so after being paid and mortgage payment taken out, each month we transfer our money to HSBC where they have fantastic internet banking and a good savings rate.

If we didn't have the mortgage we'd be 100% with HSBC - cannot fault them in any way.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:29 pm
???

moto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to behold

Latest laugh from HSBC is:

Mine and Mr Moto's ATM Cards won't work in the HSBC machines, as soon as you put the cards in it say's not recognised. We went to MOE and spoke to them and was advised that currently all the software is being upgraded and because our cash cards are over 3 years old, we have to wait 2 weeks before we can use them - however we can use them in other banks ATMs.

So 4 weeks on and our cards still aren't working, Mr Moto rang and requested a new one, he was told on the phone you will get a new one in 3 days and we will cancel your current one, 6 days on Mr Moto still does not have a new card and his old card has not been cancelled as he used it tonight.......

Utter shite, they just talk b*llocks