British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   HSBC Customer Service... Aargh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/hsbc-customer-service-aargh-620218/)

meonline Jul 15th 2009 5:29 am

HSBC Customer Service... Aargh

Just wanted to know if anyone has had any problems cancelling standing orders with HSBC. I have asked them to cancel a standing order 5 times but to date they have still not done it and the standing orders are unneccessarily being paid out leaving me out of pocket. I have an HSBC account back in the UK and cannot understand how something so simple can be so difficult for them here. I have been tearing my hair out over the phone trying to get somebody to take responsibility, however I think they hardly have anybody competent in their company. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Zico2009 Jul 15th 2009 5:41 am

Re: HSBC Customer Service... Aargh

I have a HSBC Premier account in the UK and cancel SO via the online banking facility. Its easier to manage your own account that way. If you dont have online banking then, I too, am not sure why they cant manage to do it. Its a 2 step process - request cancellation, confirm the aforementioned.

Simple.

The Worlds Local Bank.

Emerald_Eyes Jul 15th 2009 5:47 am

I bank with HSBC and never have any problems, but then I deal with customer service as little as possible. As Zico recommends I do everything online myself. However, in your case I suggest you go into your HSBC branch and speak with someone face to face. Shout at them and generally go a bit nuts, that should do the job. Also if you have an email trail or a record of the calls you made to them, than that will also help. Good luck.

Zico2009 Jul 15th 2009 5:48 am

ooh you little hottie

Spugsy Jul 15th 2009 5:55 am

Originally Posted by meonline (Post 7753593)
Just wanted to know if anyone has had any problems cancelling standing orders with HSBC. I have asked them to cancel a standing order 5 times but to date they have still not done it and the standing orders are unneccessarily being paid out leaving me out of pocket. I have an HSBC account back in the UK and cannot understand how something so simple can be so difficult for them here. I have been tearing my hair out over the phone trying to get somebody to take responsibility, however I think they hardly have anybody competent in their company. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

they are utter shit, if you want anything done, go into a branch and do it in person.

lionheart Jul 15th 2009 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7753643)
they are utter shit, if you want anything done, go into a branch and do it in person.

I do everything on-line with HSBC and have encountered surprisingly few problems. Standing orders have been changed without a hitch. My only headache is that the ATM machines at DFC occasionally reject my HSBC card at the weekends, when they are most needed. Usually get my cash out on a Thursday instead.

soukie Jul 15th 2009 6:39 am

HSBC in UAE are OK if you do on line banking - however I have had the pleasure of visiting the AD branch on Airport Road and had to wait an average of 50 minutes for a teller on both occassions.

Prince_Charming Jul 15th 2009 7:35 am

I have a HSBC Premier account and the service is fantastic :thumbup:

littlejimmy Jul 15th 2009 8:42 am

If you try putting HSBC in predictive text on your phone, one of the options it gives you is GRAB.

Nuff said.

meonline Jul 15th 2009 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7753643)

Ironically, I did go into the branch too to get it done but they said I should contact telebanking. I guess it just comes down to luck. You cannot win in this country.

Chrissie2 Jul 15th 2009 9:11 pm

Hi, sorry but the bad news is, if you want anything done by HSBC you have to go back to England and your local branch and speak to them. I spent five months in Thailand unable to get any money out of my HSBC account. They are absolute F***wits. When I spoke to them on the phone they said they could arrange for me to receive money by Western Union, it was only going to cost me fifteen quid to access my own money. I might add that I had more than sufficient funds in my account.
Sorry but they seem incapable of simple instructions and don't get me started on telephone conversations with them.

Robbies Jul 16th 2009 4:00 am

Have had zero problems with HSBC - in fact, they have offered us some of the best service we have received from any organisation since arriving 2 years ago.

We originally contacted Barclays and HSBC re mortgage, and only Barclays responded. Ended up with a barclays account as it was required for the mortgage. Their service however is attrocious (even as a "premier" customer), and so after being paid and mortgage payment taken out, each month we transfer our money to HSBC where they have fantastic internet banking and a good savings rate.

If we didn't have the mortgage we'd be 100% with HSBC - cannot fault them in any way.

moto111 Jul 16th 2009 9:29 pm

Latest laugh from HSBC is:

Mine and Mr Moto's ATM Cards won't work in the HSBC machines, as soon as you put the cards in it say's not recognised. We went to MOE and spoke to them and was advised that currently all the software is being upgraded and because our cash cards are over 3 years old, we have to wait 2 weeks before we can use them - however we can use them in other banks ATMs.

So 4 weeks on and our cards still aren't working, Mr Moto rang and requested a new one, he was told on the phone you will get a new one in 3 days and we will cancel your current one, 6 days on Mr Moto still does not have a new card and his old card has not been cancelled as he used it tonight.......

Utter shite, they just talk b*llocks