Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How would you feel about this one ?

How would you feel about this one ?

Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default How would you feel about this one ?

Imagine this :
You get a letter from your company stating that you will receive a 60% salary hike. You know there was a decree from the government stating that all locals in government facilities are eligible to this (military gets about a 100% increase).
Of course you are not local, but your place of work is.
A few weeks later you get another letter stating that it was all a mistake, and only the locals will get this increase.
Now, how would you feel? (futile question, I know)
This is what happened here in Qatar. I kid you not!
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:18 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How would you feel about this one ?

Unsurprised, unimpressed and unlikely to last more than about 30 minutes without a good stiff drink or ten.

Commiserations
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Unsurprised, unimpressed and unlikely to last more than about 30 minutes without a good stiff drink or ten.

Commiserations
Oh, no, no...not me. THANK GOD. Would be the proverbial nail in the coffin for me at this stage.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice

Probably the hike is paid for by the government as an affirmative action to get more locals into higher paid jobs. It sucks but eventually the middle east will want their own people to do the jobs we currently do. We have to make the most of it whilst we can because as one of my colleagues put to me, what is our alternative?
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by khitan004
Probably the hike is paid for by the government as an affirmative action to get more locals into higher paid jobs. It sucks but eventually the middle east will want their own people to do the jobs we currently do. We have to make the most of it whilst we can because as one of my colleagues put to me, what is our alternative?
Hmm, don't know...it certainly is a political decision, on various levels,I think. No springtime comes to mind....
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:26 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I would thank my lucky stars I didn't go out straight away and buy a brand new car and half a tonne of bling!

Seriously though, it sucks... but promises here count for nowt until you've got the cash in your sticky little mitts.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
I would thank my lucky stars I didn't go out straight away and buy a brand new car and half a tonne of bling!

Seriously though, it sucks... but promises here count for nowt until you've got the cash in your sticky little mitts.
Ah well, at least the locals are going to have a spending spree.....
I'm sure the company who sells the big , white cars is doing brisk business.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

A little bit of trouble at the top of the food chain is the rumour . A new Landcruiser would appease even the most volatile of the local populace here in bright and sunny Doha !
Old Sep 26th 2011, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by co durham boy
A little bit of trouble at the top of the food chain is the rumour . A new Landcruiser would appease even the most volatile of the local populace here in bright and sunny Doha !
Indeed!