British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   How would you feel about this one ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/how-would-you-feel-about-one-733036/)

Alexa Sep 20th 2011 3:11 pm

How would you feel about this one ?

Imagine this :
You get a letter from your company stating that you will receive a 60% salary hike. You know there was a decree from the government stating that all locals in government facilities are eligible to this (military gets about a 100% increase).
Of course you are not local, but your place of work is.
A few weeks later you get another letter stating that it was all a mistake, and only the locals will get this increase.
Now, how would you feel? (futile question, I know)
This is what happened here in Qatar. I kid you not! :blink:

Bahtatboy Sep 20th 2011 3:18 pm

Re: How would you feel about this one ?

Unsurprised, unimpressed and unlikely to last more than about 30 minutes without a good stiff drink or ten.

Commiserations:(

Alexa Sep 20th 2011 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9632363)
Unsurprised, unimpressed and unlikely to last more than about 30 minutes without a good stiff drink or ten.

Commiserations:(

Oh, no, no...not me. THANK GOD. Would be the proverbial nail in the coffin for me at this stage.

khitan004 Sep 20th 2011 3:52 pm

Probably the hike is paid for by the government as an affirmative action to get more locals into higher paid jobs. It sucks but eventually the middle east will want their own people to do the jobs we currently do. We have to make the most of it whilst we can because as one of my colleagues put to me, what is our alternative?

Alexa Sep 20th 2011 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by khitan004 (Post 9632431)
Probably the hike is paid for by the government as an affirmative action to get more locals into higher paid jobs. It sucks but eventually the middle east will want their own people to do the jobs we currently do. We have to make the most of it whilst we can because as one of my colleagues put to me, what is our alternative?

Hmm, don't know...it certainly is a political decision, on various levels,I think. No springtime comes to mind....

Hello.Kitty Sep 25th 2011 4:26 am

I would thank my lucky stars I didn't go out straight away and buy a brand new car and half a tonne of bling!

Seriously though, it sucks... but promises here count for nowt until you've got the cash in your sticky little mitts.

Alexa Sep 26th 2011 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9640492)
I would thank my lucky stars I didn't go out straight away and buy a brand new car and half a tonne of bling!

Seriously though, it sucks... but promises here count for nowt until you've got the cash in your sticky little mitts.

Ah well, at least the locals are going to have a spending spree.....;)
I'm sure the company who sells the big , white cars is doing brisk business.

co durham boy Sep 26th 2011 9:59 am

A little bit of trouble at the top of the food chain is the rumour . A new Landcruiser would appease even the most volatile of the local populace here in bright and sunny Doha !

Alexa Sep 26th 2011 10:12 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9642162)
A little bit of trouble at the top of the food chain is the rumour . A new Landcruiser would appease even the most volatile of the local populace here in bright and sunny Doha !

Indeed!