Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How to win Free Drinks with the 'Heads-Tails Probability Trick'......

How to win Free Drinks with the 'Heads-Tails Probability Trick'......

Old Sep 14th 2013, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to win Free Drinks with the 'Heads-Tails Probability Trick'......

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Its not a new game, he has just changed one of the variables from unknown to known.

The possible scenarios of each box are (W for win, L for lose), imagine them laid out in a row.

1: WLL
2: LWL
3: LLW

Picking scenario 1 to 3 and choosing box 2 (for example) in each case shows that you will win in one case (no 2) and lose in 2(no 1 and no 3).

Now imagine he has opened a losing box in each case and asks you to switch or stick. There is only one scenario where you can lose, that's in no. 2 because you had already chosen the right box, in the other two you are switching from the losing position to the winning position.

Hence why it is now a 2 out of 3 shot to win by switching. As there were 3 scenarios in play not a simple choice between 2 doors.
There are NEVER two winning positions.

Forget it - we will start to irritate each other, and I'm never going to see the 2/3. Anyway - we both agree we would switch.

Have a nice day.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 8:08 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to win Free Drinks with the 'Heads-Tails Probability Trick'......

Originally Posted by The Dean
There are NEVER two winning positions.

Forget it - we will start to irritate each other, and I'm never going to see the 2/3. Anyway - we both agree we would switch.

Have a nice day.
It's ok I am not irritated at all I find this stuff interesting to be honest. The concepts are counter intuitive sometimes.

An extreme way I have seen it explained also is to consider a 1000 boxes, you choose one and they open 998 of the others leaving your original choice and one other unopened. Would people still consider the choice to switch or stick still a 50:50 shot? That somehow they managed to pick the correct one out of 1000 boxes the first time.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

my head hurts..

I don't understand why he would switch, surely its a game of chance and the presenter is calling his bluff and he may or may not have the right box.

All a bit much for me I used to enjoy this kind of stuff, these days less so- anyone else know how to make a bra...
Old Sep 14th 2013, 10:43 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
my head hurts..

I don't understand why he would switch, surely its a game of chance and the presenter is calling his bluff and he may or may not have the right box.

All a bit much for me I used to enjoy this kind of stuff, these days less so- anyone else know how to make a bra...
Like this:

How to win Free Drinks with the 'Heads-Tails Probability Trick'......-handbra.png
Old Sep 14th 2013, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

my head hurts..

Step 1 - Get a coconut
Step 2 - Cut coconut either with electric bandsaw/table if you really are a perfectionist or just get a machete and crack it down the middle.
Step 3 - drill 2 holes in each half
Step 4 - tie rope/string into each hole and test fit for right string length

Alternatively move to a Micronesian or Polynesian island and find someone to make one for you.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Bahtatboy and Boomhauer

No that is incorrect. but points for effort- not you bahtatboy your just being pervy
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:58 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bahtatboy and Boomhauer

No that is incorrect. but points for effort- not you bahtatboy your just being pervy
Who? Me?
Old Sep 14th 2013, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

my head hurts..

The 'contestant' is supposed to think the host is trying to 'con' him into switching, whereas in fact switching is the best strategy.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

why is switching better? you choose one out of 3 for whatever reason, one is taken away, you have still chosen one out of the two remaining, how does switching improve your chances?
Old Sep 15th 2013, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

why is switching better? you choose one out of 3 for whatever reason, one is taken away, you have still chosen one out of the two remaining, how does switching improve your chances?
It's a new one-out-of-two choice, replacing the old one-out-of-three choice...........
Old Sep 15th 2013, 4:26 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a long and complicated thread but essentially the result is that nobody now either knows or cares or understands
(you are right by the way as a simple choice of two is still 50:50 whether you stick or switch, sticking is still making a choice mwauhahahha)
Old Sep 15th 2013, 5:29 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by The Dean
It's a new one-out-of-two choice, replacing the old one-out-of-three choice...........
Yes, and it's 50:50. 50% chance that you've already selected correctly, 50% you haven't. Surely
Old Sep 15th 2013, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Yes, and it's 50:50. 50% chance that you've already selected correctly, 50% you haven't. Surely
No - you're overstating the significance of the 'host' showing you a box with a poor prize. He knows where the big prize is, so he can ALWAYS show you a poor one. It doesn't give you any valuable information at all.

You picked one from three - you can now pick one from two.

I think the advantage of switching is obvious. You are now 50:50 - you were previously 33.3:66.7.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:58 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by shiva
Thanks, forgot what it was behind the doors (car/goats) and the name of the problem, but that bloke's videos are great.