Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How to teach children about discrimination...

How to teach children about discrimination...

Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:54 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to teach children about discrimination...

and why it's wrong.

This piece of film is quite old, but still very valid. A teacher demonstrates what discrimination is to her pupils with a very valuable lesson in humanity.

Fairly long, but as valid today as it was then and I think it's really worth taking the time to watch. She is/was obvioulsy a great teacher.

http://www.upworthy.com/watch-a-teac...n-imaginable-2
Old Jun 26th 2013, 12:23 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to teach children about discrimination...

Originally Posted by Meow
and why it's wrong.

This piece of film is quite old, but still very valid. A teacher demonstrates what discrimination is to her pupils with a very valuable lesson in humanity.

Fairly long, but as valid today as it was then and I think it's really worth taking the time to watch. She is/was obviously a great teacher.

http://www.upworthy.com/watch-a-teac...n-imaginable-2
That clip is quite famous in the US. Interestingly, one of my South African friends who was brought up to believe that apartheid was god's will and was a minister in the Dutch Reformed Church, credited that woman with helping her to see the true nature of apartheid. She (my friend) subsequently went to work to help as she could in the townships as a teacher.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say we need to add : Race, Faith, Gender, Sexual orientation , Nationality and Social Standing to this.
Excellent teacher.
Although I wonder...what were to happen if this was done by a teacher today?
Old Jun 26th 2013, 1:43 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
I'd say we need to add : Race, Faith, Gender, Sexual orientation , Nationality and Social Standing to this.
Excellent teacher.
Although I wonder...what were to happen if this was done by a teacher today?
The term discrimination cover all of those topics as you can discriminate on the basis of so many things.

I'd love to know what her pupils had to say about her teaching many years later. I hope this lesson stayed with them.

I suspect that in many places today a teacher would get into trouble for speaking as she did.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 2:35 pm
When in doubt, mumble.

Poshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud of

I liked that, never seen it before
Old Jun 26th 2013, 2:45 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

we need about 1 billion more like her
Old Jun 26th 2013, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

I once got an almighty bollocking for saying 'Children should be obscene and not absurd'...
Old Jun 26th 2013, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SpF3cwJ86A

The adults version is a classic too. All part of my education.

Last edited by Beakersful; Jun 26th 2013 at 4:12 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 6:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Awesome.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

The real lesson is that there's a strong human instinct to discriminate against one another. Is it possibly built into our biology? Is it 'wrong'?
Old Jun 28th 2013, 7:18 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Ethos83
The real lesson is that there's a strong human instinct to discriminate against one another. Is it possibly built into our biology? Is it 'wrong'?
Of course it's wrong to discriminate against someone based on some arbitrary physical trait.

You should only discriminate once they have proved themselves to be a twat.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 7:27 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Of course it's wrong to discriminate against someone based on some arbitrary physical trait.

You should only discriminate once they have proved themselves to be a twat.
If 99.99% of people bearing the same arbitrary physical trait with whom you interacted behaved in a particular way, would it be rational to conclude that the next person bearing that same physical trait would behave in a similar way? And, having reached that conclusion, would it be sensible to treat that person in a way that--for you--is appropriate for the way that you conclude he will behave?

Assuming that most people would answer the above questions positively, at what point would sound judgment turn into discrimination? 99%? 95%? 75%? 50.00001%?
Old Jun 28th 2013, 8:07 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beakersful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SpF3cwJ86A

The adults version is a classic too. All part of my education.
"she can change her orientation"?
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:55 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
If 99.99% of people bearing the same arbitrary physical trait with whom you interacted behaved in a particular way, would it be rational to conclude that the next person bearing that same physical trait would behave in a similar way? And, having reached that conclusion, would it be sensible to treat that person in a way that--for you--is appropriate for the way that you conclude he will behave?

Assuming that most people would answer the above questions positively, at what point would sound judgment turn into discrimination? 99%? 95%? 75%? 50.00001%?
It's been a heavy week, I'm still working and your question hurts my head.

My response was based on the individual. You can use the 'looks like a duck, walks like a duck' argument, but it's not fair and is discriminatory if you act on it. I find it's often best to reserve judgement until I get some form of evidence either way.

Of course, there is also a difference between making fun of national stereotypes and being racist/discriminatory.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Is the clip really worth watching?? I read the preamble blurb jobby, and it described 'The Catcher In The Rye' as 'required reading' whereas it is as we all know the most overrated piece of pretentious garbage ever to offend my eyeballs (thankfully, I gave up after about 20 pages).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.