Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How to sleep on the plane...?

How to sleep on the plane...?

Old May 21st 2009, 3:36 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to sleep on the plane...?

I'm flying back to the UK next week (YAY) but am on the overnighter from Doha to Manchester. Whatever I do, I just can't seem to get more than a bit of dozing off for a few minutes at a time and end up feeling completely knacked all the first day. I've got noise-cancelling headphones and have tried eye masks. Anyone got any fool-proof tips other than drinking myself into oblivion?
Old May 21st 2009, 3:49 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to sleep on the plane...?

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I'm flying back to the UK next week (YAY) but am on the overnighter from Doha to Manchester. Whatever I do, I just can't seem to get more than a bit of dozing off for a few minutes at a time and end up feeling completely knacked all the first day. I've got noise-cancelling headphones and have tried eye masks. Anyone got any fool-proof tips other than drinking myself into oblivion?
getting up really early the day before?
Old May 21st 2009, 4:10 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the "get really tired" approach. HAve tried it and it didn't really work. I just wish there was a magic tablet that would put me to sleep the moment I got into my seat and I would wake up when we land.
Old May 21st 2009, 4:13 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the "get really tired" approach. HAve tried it and it didn't really work. I just wish there was a magic tablet that would put me to sleep the moment I got into my seat and I would wake up when we land.
16 little bottles of red wine and a couple of beers. You sleep but you stll feel knacked the next day!
Old May 21st 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Well, there is....it is called LEXOTANIL , it knocks you out 100%...I used for flights to the US, am out for the whole flight....and it does not give you a "hangover "feeling.
BUT, you can only get it from the doctor...and you need to give them a reason why you need it. Mine was "airplane anxiety"...lol
Oh, a pack of 30 costs 18 QR...
Old May 21st 2009, 4:21 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Alexa
Well, there is....it is called LEXOTANIL , it knocks you out 100%...I used for flights to the US, am out for the whole flight....and it does not give you a "hangover "feeling.
BUT, you can only get it from the doctor...and you need to give them a reason why you need it. Mine was "airplane anxiety"...lol
Oh, a pack of 30 costs 18 QR...
Cool! Thanks, Alexa. Is it one of these things you can only get from the Hamad Hospital docs, or can private docs prescribe it?

And nice meeting you last week, BTW!
Old May 21st 2009, 4:22 pm
W10

Actifed.

Seriously, it makes you drowsy as anything.

I used to get sleeping pills from the doc for mega long haul but anything really strong on a 6 and a half hour flight leaves you feeling sleepy for the whole day

Old May 21st 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Cool! Thanks, Alexa. Is it one of these things you can only get from the Hamad Hospital docs, or can private docs prescribe it?

And nice meeting you last week, BTW!
Likewise!

And I got it from a private doc.

Last edited by Alexa; May 21st 2009 at 4:39 pm.
Old May 21st 2009, 4:27 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by W10
Actifed.

Seriously, it makes you drowsy as anything.

I used to get sleeping pills from the doc for mega long haul but anything really strong on a 6 and a half hour flight leaves you feeling sleepy for the whole day
Thanks, W10, but the pseudophedrine in that is a no-no for arrhythmia sufferers.
Old May 21st 2009, 5:01 pm
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm in Dammam airport at the moment I know the feeling.
I suggest a 48hours sleepless night. and after boarding off, start with double vodka coke, then make it triple and then jump to drinking the bottle sick. You will deffinitly arrive safely knocked out.

That was my last trip to manchester, I got there pissed.
Old May 21st 2009, 5:40 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I'm against taking any form of sleeping medication. (Not sure why, just one of those things).

I too just can't sleep on a plane, I fidget, get alerted by any movement in the aircraft etc.

I've even got pissed and still couldn't sleep...just slowly felt my mouth drying up like the flip side of sadams prayer mat..

In fact, 1st class with one of those cabins and full on bed is the only way.,
Old May 21st 2009, 6:47 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
I'm against taking any form of sleeping medication. (Not sure why, just one of those things).

I too just can't sleep on a plane, I fidget, get alerted by any movement in the aircraft etc.

I've even got pissed and still couldn't sleep...just slowly felt my mouth drying up like the flip side of sadams prayer mat..

I'm not. I flew Toon to Oz, took 3 sleeping tablets and slept for 20 hours.

Mega.
Old May 21st 2009, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by commander

I don't take sleeping meds either...but the one I suggested to LJ is an anti anxiety med...hence you are totally relaxed ,can sleep and there is no drowsiness after. Works a treat!
Old May 21st 2009, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

valium or just read the thread on the barricuda I just woke up after 24 hours... zzzzzzzzzzzz
Old May 21st 2009, 8:25 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

ok before you even check the links.
Yes it looks stupid
Yes people look at you
Yes it works
those same people who started the flight staring will be glaring by the time you get off

I borrowed one of these my last flight and will buy one before my next flight, ****ing fantastic...nuff said

http://www.magellans.co.uk/store/In_...owsIF430?Args=

http://1stclasssleeper.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.