How old were you?

Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How old were you?

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Fact is, it is rare for a 25 year old young man to become involved with a 30 year old woman.

I'm 27, wife is 33 or 34.

Do I win a prize?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:42 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I'm 27, wife is 33 or 34.

Do I win a prize?
For not knowing how old your wife is? Yep, you certainly deserve something for that, but I think 'er indoors is the one who should decide what it is and deliver it to you.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
For not knowing how old your wife is? Yep, you certainly deserve something for that, but I think 'er indoors is the one who should decide what it is and deliver it to you.
Maybe he has two?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

1 is enough. These folks that have 4 are off their heads.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:15 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I'm amused that the only people to contradict me are, ta de dah, women and especially the bored's resident feminist.

But it doesn't alter the facts. We're not talking about a 17 year old horny schoolboy lusting after his sister's 23 year old best friend.

Fact is, it is rare for a 25 year old young man to become involved with a 30 year old woman. It's much more common the other way around.

There's the practical side: it's well known that women mature at a younger age than men. A 30 year old woman is likely to be married or in a long term relationship, and even if single, is going to be much "older" on a maturity level, than the 25 year old who probably still has flatmates or living in a grotty bed-sit.

Even when we go up the age scale it doesn't improve except possibly for a short window of opportunity between ages 30 and 35. But a strapping 30 year old man who's now flush with professional opportunities and with the income to start settling down isn't going to pay much attention to a woman in her late thirties for the simple reason - procreation is much, much harder, not to mention there's plenty of young and pretty 20-something year old fillies to chose from and they usually can pop out the babbies like your old nanny shelled the peas.

I ain't saying this is always the case and you can always come up with your exceptions but those are what they are - exceptions that do not hide the fact that there are strong biological and social reasons for why the young man - older woman (where the age differences are greater than five years) dichtomy is rare, especially when compared to the young woman - older man.
How terribly old-fashioned. These days, many men seek a partner in life, not just a brood mare and those that do not have silly egos that need bolstering have no issues with dating women of any age, if he finds her attractive. It's not as if women are all over the hill at 30. It is very common for the woman to be older than the man, but we don't all feel the need to make a big issue of it.

And I guess I am probably the bored feminist
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
How terribly old-fashioned. These days, many men seek a partner in life, not just a brood mare and those that do not have silly egos that need bolstering have no issues with dating women of any age, if he finds her attractive. It's not as if women are all over the hill at 30. It is very common for the woman to be older than the man, but we don't all feel the need to make a big issue of it.
I would say that women are at their most interesting once they hit 30 as the bloody insecurities start to settled down...

that was my take on it
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:21 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I would say that women are at their most interesting once they hit 30 as the bloody insecurities start to settled down...

that was my take on it

I don't think that most people are fully formed until they hit 30.

I take being called a feminist as a compliment. Those that think it's an insult don't understand what it's about.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:26 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yawn. Listen to the bored feminist.

You still can't obscure the fact that it's unusual for a large age gap to exist between the man and woman where the woman is the older of the two parties. You still can't obscure the fact that it's much more common for older men to have younger (by which I mean more than just a few years) wives than it is for older women to have younger husbands. It may and it does exist but it is hardly the norm and when such a scenario happens it invariably raises eyebrows and comments.

Look at the list of average age at first marriage in the wiki article below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_at_first_marriage

Not a single country has the woman as the older. So it's hardly 'common' as you'd like to portray it. One or two years older is not uncommon, but five or six years older is very uncommon.

Does it make a difference in general? No. I don't care, and despite raised eyebrows and comments most people also don't really care, nor was the topic whether there's something wrong with an older woman dating or marrying a younger man. But to pretend that it's a normal everyday occurrence for a 37 year old woman to date a 30 year old man is ridiculous.

Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yawn. Listen to the bored feminist.

You still can't obscure the fact that it's unusual for a large age gap to exist between the man and woman where the woman is the older of the two parties. You still can't obscure the fact that it's much more common for older men to have younger (by which I mean more than just a few years) wives than it is for older women to have younger husbands. It may and it does exist but it is hardly the norm and when such a scenario happens it invariably raises eyebrows and comments.

Look at the list of average age at first marriage in the wiki article below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_at_first_marriage

Not a single country has the woman as the older. So it's hardly 'common' as you'd like to portray it. One or two years older is not uncommon, but five or six years older is very uncommon.

Does it make a difference in general? No. I don't care, and despite raised eyebrows and comments most people also don't really care, nor was the topic whether there's something wrong with an older woman dating or marrying a younger man. But to pretend that it's a normal everyday occurrence for a 37 year old woman to date a 30 year old man is ridiculous.
I'm loving that link. Time to move to Russia I think.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Greying fox is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sure Ethos loves his doormats.

Women who are not feminists are dull , uninteresting and deserve the lack -lustre guy they are with. It is not about dungarees but self respect and a proper place in the world
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I'm loving that link. Time to move to Russia I think.
what's wrong with Chad or Bangladesh....
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Brains1983
what's wrong with Chad or Bangladesh....
The food.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:03 am
Account Closed

I've always defined a feminist as someone who cares too much about her obsession - which in this case would be women's 'rights'.

As it is, I tend to avoid people who display too much passion for anything - politics, religion, 'isms' issues what you have it, that they automatically have to speak up when a tiny nerve is even remotely touched upon. Meow is a prime example - you post on a certain topic in a certain tone, Meow is guaranteed to reply. It can be fun because it's a great way to irritate or piss off someone but ultimately it becomes tiring.

As for me, I'm pretty chill. You will find me down by the pool next to the gal with a fashion mag or her favourite Jilly Cooper.

Originally Posted by Greying fox
I am sure Ethos loves his doormats.

Women who are not feminists are dull , uninteresting and deserve the lack -lustre guy they are with. It is not about dungarees but self respect and a proper place in the world

Last edited by Ethos83; Aug 26th 2010 at 10:07 am.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:12 am
Bored liberal

I've always defined a feminist as someone who cares too much about her obsession - which in this case would be women's 'rights'.

As it is, I tend to avoid people who display too much passion for anything - politics, religion, 'isms' issues what you have it, that they automatically have to speak up when a tiny nerve is even remotely touched upon. Meow is a prime example - you post on a certain topic in a certain tone, Meow is guaranteed to reply. It can be fun because it's a great way to irritate or piss off someone but ultimately it becomes tiring.

As for me, I'm pretty chill. You will find me down by the pool next to the gal with a fashion mag or her favourite Jilly Cooper.
It's your perogative to prefer an unchallenging woman Ethos.

You don't wind me up in the slightest - you simply aren't important enough for that, but I also have the right to disagree with you, rather than fluttering my eyelashes and giggling whenever a man speaks.

As you clearly don't understand feminism, so let me remind you that it is simply about equal treatment and equal opportunities. It isn't about man hating.

Perhaps in the circles in which you move, it isn't common for a woman to be older than a man, but I assure you, as others have on here, that it is becomng more usual in Western societies. You can deny it as much as you like, but that doesn't change the facts. It really isn't a big issue with most people.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

*giggles*

*flutters eyelashes*

Darling, we must do lunch one of these days. Shall I ring Momo and book a table?

*mwah mwah*

Ta

It's your perogative to prefer an unchallenging woman Ethos.

You don't wind me up in the slightest - you simply aren't important enough for that, but I also have the right to disagree with you, rather than fluttering my eyelashes and giggling whenever a man speaks.

As you clearly don't understand feminism, so let me remind you that it is simply about equal treatment and equal opportunities. It isn't about man hating.

Perhaps in the circles in which you move, it isn't common for a woman to be older than a man, but I assure you, as others have on here, that it is becomng more usual in Western societies. You can deny it as much as you like, but that doesn't change the facts. It really isn't a big issue with most people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.