British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   How often do you think about Death? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/how-often-do-you-think-about-death-597802/)

BangleMan Mar 16th 2009 7:47 am

How often do you think about Death?

I mean your own death?

I find myself increasingly thinking about my own demise and realising that in my early 40's, I've probably had noticably more of my life than I have left.

It crosses my mind most days at the moment (maybe cos thats all you ever hear about on the news just now, what with the deaths of soldiers in Afghanistan, soldiers and police in N.Ireland / Jade Goody's imminent demise ...She's been afraid to sleep as she's scared she won't wake up....sod that !)

The horrible thing is thinking that if there is nothing on the other side (which there probably isnt) then thats it, nothing..... ever again ever ever!

Scary stuff indeed:eek::eek:

MataHari Mar 16th 2009 7:49 am

Re: How often do you think about Death?

find something to take your mind of it then...

TGFKASE Mar 16th 2009 7:52 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7383615)
I mean your own death?

I find myself increasingly thinking about my own demise and realising that in my early 40's, I've probably had noticably more of my life than I have left.

It crosses my mind most days at the moment (maybe cos thats all you ever hear about on the news just now, what with the deaths of soldiers in Afghanistan, soldiers and police in N.Ireland / Jade Goody's imminent demise ...She's been afraid to sleep as she's scared she won't wake up....sod that !)

The horrible thing is thinking that if there is nothing on the other side (which there probably isnt) then thats it, nothing..... ever again ever ever!

Well, being closer to the end of your mortal coil than I, I can easily understand your dilemna..

However, being this side of the big 4-0, Id like to think that my life is just beginning...

BangleMan Mar 16th 2009 7:53 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7383617)
find something to take your mind of it then...

Thank you for sharing your in depth views on the matter and for clearly providing an insight into the mind of MataHari....

I didnt realise you were such a complex and deep thinking person....lol

BangleMan Mar 16th 2009 7:54 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7383625)
Well, being closer to the end of your mortal coil than I, I can easily understand your dilemna..

However, being this side of the big 4-0, Id like to think that my life is just beginning...

Im not even going to rise to the bait......lol

So would you consider yourself to be middle aged now then even though your life is about to begin 'apparently' ?

MataHari Mar 16th 2009 7:56 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7383628)
Thank you for sharing your in depth views on the matter and for clearly providing an insight into the mind of MataHari....

I didnt realise you were such a complex and deep thinking person....lol

hey...things are complicated enough as it is...why add to it
as long as you got your legal stuff sorted out ok for the kids and all that, why worry about it...it's gonna happen anyway so better make sure you have a good time until then...call me shallow, I don't care...

TGFKASE Mar 16th 2009 7:57 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7383632)
Im not even going to rise to the bait......lol

So would you consider yourself to be middle aged now then even though your life is about to begin 'apparently' ?

Although my biological age maybe late-30's, I still view life as a 21 yo...

Cant say I have ever considered Death, even to the point that my OH finally persuaded me to draft a will only a year or so ago...

BangleMan Mar 16th 2009 8:00 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7383639)
hey...things are complicated enough as it is...why add to it
as long as you got your legal stuff sorted out ok for the kids and all that, why worry about it...it's gonna happen anyway so better make sure you have a good time until then...call me shallow, I don't care...

I agree, and its inevitable, and its nice to think we live on in our kids in some small way......but to be here one minute with thoughts / feelings and memories, and then the next, you dont exist....its fcking creepy if you ask me !

BangleMan Mar 16th 2009 8:01 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7383642)
Although my biological age maybe late-30's, I still view life as a 21 yo...
Cant say I have ever considered Death, even to the point that my OH finally persuaded me to draft a will only a year or so ago...

Its called.... being retarded :rofl:

TGFKASE Mar 16th 2009 8:01 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7383648)
I agree, and its inevitable, and its nice to think we live on in our kids in some small way......but to be here one minute with thoughts / feelings and memories, and then the next, you dont exist....its fcking creepy if you ask me !

C'est la vie, so get over it you soft, sassenach poof....

TGFKASE Mar 16th 2009 8:01 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7383650)
Its called.... being retarded :rofl:

Just coz you can't remember that far back....:p

MataHari Mar 16th 2009 8:04 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7383648)

it is...and funnily enough I used to think about it a lot when I was a kid, but as I get older, I am not that bothered about it anymore...
Just hope it won't be some horrible longwinded thing where I am aware of it all happening...going to sleep one night and not waking up would suit me just fine...

BangleMan Mar 16th 2009 8:11 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7383651)
C'est la vie, so get over it you soft, sassenach poof....

Come outside and say that you sweaty sheepshagger...lol

BangleMan Mar 16th 2009 8:12 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7383652)
Just coz you can't remember that far back....:p

I can barely remember this morning....

MacScot Mar 16th 2009 8:13 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7383615)
I mean your own death?

I've got a decade on you BM and, yes, occasionally that thought pops up but growing old and dying is going to happen whether we like it or not. Why worry about something you can't change? Live your life and enjoy it and, as MataHari says, find something to take your mind of it. :)