Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How much is a marina berth rental?

How much is a marina berth rental?

Old Jul 7th 2010, 11:12 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much is a marina berth rental?

Saw an advert for a small sailboat on the notice board at Spinneys for 22K. Good price. As a lapsed sailer I was tempted but before I continue the fantasy of sunset sails around the Palm, anyone have an idea of how much is a marina berth rental at the DOSC or anyplace that offers berths?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 11:39 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much is a marina berth rental?

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Saw an advert for a small sailboat on the notice board at Spinneys for 22K. Good price. As a lapsed sailer I was tempted but before I continue the fantasy of sunset sails around the Palm, anyone have an idea of how much is a marina berth rental at the DOSC or anyplace that offers berths?

As an idea (Dubai Marina):

For a small sailboat (<8 m):
DMYC club house berth:
AED 2320 deposit and AED 27,840 per year

East Marina (Phase 1 Emaar building area):
AED 2320 deposit and AED 22,080 per year

West Marina:
AED 2320 deposit and AED 20,160 per year

Dubai Marina Mall:
AED 2320 deposit and AED 22,080 per year

Plus there may be a club joining fee (AED 8,000)

So overall, an expensive hobby...as they say, there are only two happy times for a boat owner...the day you buy a boat and the day you sell a boat !
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
So overall, an expensive hobby...as they say, there are only two happy times for a boat owner...the day you buy a boat and the day you sell a boat !
I like that.

I once worked with a guy who bought a light aircraft. It nearly bankrupted him...
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:24 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I like that.

I once worked with a guy who bought a light aircraft. It nearly bankrupted him...
Yep, it's an old saying...I'm waiting for the second part - selling my boat...but times are really bad in Dubai for selling a boat.

I'll end up taking it back to Australia, I'm sure of that. But then, it was about 40% cheaper than similar sized boats in Oz, so not so bad after all
Old Jul 8th 2010, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
Yep, it's an old saying...I'm waiting for the second part - selling my boat...but times are really bad in Dubai for selling a boat.

I'll end up taking it back to Australia, I'm sure of that. But then, it was about 40% cheaper than similar sized boats in Oz, so not so bad after all
that will be a nice little trip. Dubai to Oz by boat
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:38 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, there goes the fantasy. The price for the boat is right and I'd be a keen sailor going out every weekend. But I ain't spending more than the cost of the boat, annually, for a berth.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 5:37 am
A bubbly-jock...

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
that will be a nice little trip. Dubai to Oz by boat
Nah..it's going by ship as freight from Dubai to Brisbane...about A$20,000 !
Old Jul 8th 2010, 5:37 am
A bubbly-jock...

Well, there goes the fantasy. The price for the boat is right and I'd be a keen sailor going out every weekend. But I ain't spending more than the cost of the boat, annually, for a berth.
Theres a few sailing clubs around that you can join..much, much cheaper option.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:18 am
A bubbly-jock...

Don't let these berthing prices put you off - the prices are for motor yachts. If you want a sailing boat, find out berthing prices at, say, the small sailing club next to the Mina Seyahet (the little club adjoining the Dubai Marina east entrance). Else, join that club as they have numerous small sailing yachts.