British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   How much is enough? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/how-much-enough-598583/)

Grace O Malley Mar 19th 2009 10:47 am

How much is enough?

So is a 500 - 1000 too much for a 17-18 yr old to expect for a weekly allowance? That's their own personal spending.

To me that is mental, but apparently this is what some kids are getting?

Chesney Hawkes Mar 19th 2009 10:55 am

Re: How much is enough?

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7397187)
So is a 500 - 1000 too much for a 17-18 yr old to expect for a weekly allowance? That's their own personal spending.

Hi Annacarna,

I'm getting into this posting lark now!

Yeah i think it's too much. I'm out of a job at the moment and Mr H dosen't give me much more than that! :lol:

Mrs H

Grace O Malley Mar 19th 2009 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Chesney Hawkes (Post 7397203)
Hi Annacarna,

I'm getting into this posting lark now!

Yeah i think it's too much. I'm out of a job at the moment and Mr H dosen't give me much more than that! :lol:

Mrs H

Ah they are a great bunch on here, a lot of piss taking admittedly, you just gotta be not too sensitive.

Yeah i think thats a mental amount of money, you wouldn't give that amount at home for a weekly allowance.

Hello.Kitty Mar 19th 2009 11:00 am

:eek::ohmy:

What can they possibly spend it all on? I mean, sure, anyone can find stuff to spend that much on, but there's a limit. I guess it depends how often they buy clothes, go to restaurants and stuff... if you're saving up for the next must-have designer bag, well...

Saying that, it's wierd, but I don't feel comfy if I have less than 500 in my purse - I don't have UAE credit/debit cards and so anything under 500 feels like I've left home with less than a fiver to my name. Strange but true.

Emerald_Eyes Mar 19th 2009 11:01 am

I don't have any kids, but that sounds like a lot to me. 1000 AED per week - what will he do with that here when he can't even go out for a drink?

I can get through a week on 300 AED (excluding drinking on weekends), and he doesn't even have any bills to pay or groceries to buy!

If I were you I'd make him earn it so either reward good grades, or helping around the house, cooking one night a week. My parents instilled responsibility in my brother and I at a young age, which will stand him in good stead.

commander Mar 19th 2009 11:02 am

my wife doesnt give me that to be honest..

just as well i have my secret (Ally Pally) fund:rofl:

Grace O Malley Mar 19th 2009 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 7397216)
:eek::ohmy:

What can they possibly spend it all on? I mean, sure, anyone can find stuff to spend that much on, but there's a limit. I guess it depends how often they buy clothes, go to restaurants and stuff... if you're saving up for the next must-have designer bag, well...

Saying that, it's wierd, but I don't feel comfy if I have less than 500 in my purse - I don't have UAE credit/debit cards and so anything under 500 feels like I've left home with less than a fiver to my name. Strange but true.

Lol doesn't include clothes just their own money.

Um spending, I was trying to work that one out. Movies, food money whilst they are out, taxis, gaming cafes @ 10 dibs per hour,. Admittedly thinks like paint balling is exp, around 100 dibs i think. There's nothing much else to spend it on, unless they are saving up to run away from home.....

Emerald_Eyes Mar 19th 2009 11:13 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7397243)

Um spending, I was trying to work that one out. Movies, food money whilst they are out, taxis, gaming cafes @ 10 dibs per hour,. Admittedly thinks like paint balling is exp, around 100 dibs i think. There's nothing much else to spend it on, unless they are saving up to run away from home.....

Forgot about taxis - but still, it does seem like a lot. If you want to do anything in Dubai it costs money...

Grace O Malley Mar 19th 2009 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes (Post 7397219)
I don't have any kids, but that sounds like a lot to me. 1000 AED per week - what will he do with that here when he can't even go out for a drink?

I can get through a week on 300 AED (excluding drinking on weekends), and he doesn't even have any bills to pay or groceries to buy!

If I were you I'd make him earn it so either reward good grades, or helping around the house, cooking one night a week. My parents instilled responsibility in my brother and I at a young age, which will stand him in good stead.

oh he is not getting that amount no way, he's trying it on....

I make him do bits and bobs around the house, but cooking no way, jesus he tried to cook eggs the other week, in between dropping them on the floor and not being able to crack them open properly, the smell of eggs was in the kitchen for days. Oh and how can chicken kiev explode in the oven?

Emerald_Eyes Mar 19th 2009 11:14 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7397257)
oh he is not getting that amount no way, he's trying it on....

I make him do bits and bobs around the house, but cooking no way, jesus he tried to cook eggs the other week, in between dropping them on the floor and not being able to crack them open properly, the smell of eggs was in the kitchen for days. Oh and how can chicken kiev explode in the oven?

:rofl: Nice!

Grace O Malley Mar 19th 2009 11:15 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7397223)

Ooh everyone should have a secret stash....

My mam used to take all my dad's wages on a Friday night and give him his Guinness and betting allowance for the week.

soukie Mar 19th 2009 11:18 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7397223)

Bet she doesn't know you visit the Ally Pally!!!!

Regarding the allowance - are some kids really getting 2000 - 4000 per month? Unbelievable :eek:- it's far too much in my opinion. Sounds like expat brats.

Hello.Kitty Mar 19th 2009 11:21 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7397243)

OMG! :rofl:

...and there was me thinking an allowance was a proper "here's your dosh, sort yer life out, mate" jobbie! What you're talking about is pocket-money! :p If taxis weren't involved, it's just be "sweetie-money"! :rofl:

Spugsy Mar 19th 2009 11:22 am

what? dirhams?

what the hell do they need that much for??

Spugsy Mar 19th 2009 11:24 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7397267)
Ooh everyone should have a secret stash....

My mam used to take all my dad's wages on a Friday night and give him his Guinness and betting allowance for the week.

me and mrs spugsy have our own accounts and spend what we like as long as we save a but and the bills get paid and we can go out,

the thought of one joint account with all our wages going in horrifies me.