Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How many life skills do you have?

How many life skills do you have?

Old Apr 15th 2014, 8:19 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many life skills do you have?

Originally Posted by Meow
No, as I didn't say yes to that one. And why only ask the women?
Because I think its something very few men could do and even fewer women...
Old Apr 15th 2014, 8:21 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

You checked off 96 out of 100 on this list!

Congratulations on knowing everything. You’re like Joan Holloway, the Dos Equis man, and the president of the United States all rolled into one.

Never cleaned my laptop/PC, I crash not Ski, Never used a Mac and how the hell do you fold a twatting fitted sheet? Home Economics taught me a lot of these things followed by 2 years serving Queen and Country.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 8:37 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

90 yesterday, 93 today
I now know how to use my watch as a compass, get blood stains out and fold a fitted sheet.
I can’t bake a cake without a recipe, build a BBQ fire (I’m guessing there’s a particular way), undestand 401(k), ski, or identify all the states—all of which don’t trouble me.
However, what I do want to know is how to best manage / store my photos and data (photos in particular), and how the stock market works…
Old Apr 15th 2014, 8:52 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I apologise in advance for what is going to be a sexist question, but can the ladies who scored highly explain how to identify north without a compass and without google-whacking it?

<<cowers>>
Huh? why just ladies?

Haven't you heard of a sun dial? Use the same principle with a big stick. mark shadow point as W (sun rises in east and sets in west, so the first shadow point will point westwards since the sun is coming from the east). wait long enough for shadow to move a good distance. mark that point as E (since the sun has moved further westwards the shadow will fall further eastwards). Draw line perpendicular through middle, and mark out remaining N & S. Never East Shredded Wheat (good philosophy btw).

At night though, I'd be screwed as I don't know the signs of the zodiac. I think I would just go to sleep tbh.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 8:58 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I had to jab a co-worker with an adrenaline injection after he got stung by a bee. He had luckily shown me the needle in the glove box a couple of weeks prior and told me what it was for. We were doing a survey out in the Australian bush and when I got back to the Jeep he was in fairly bad shape.
Think of the scene in Pulp Fiction except I injected him in the thigh instead of the heart.
Good job you/he had one. We had a couple of lads in Nigeria die because they got stung (by many wasps) and din't know they were allergic. After that we always made sure we had a few adrenaline jobbies in the ever increasing med kit package.

You should also stand to the side when you jab someone (and never put your thumb on top just in case you got the jobby upside down!) as I've seen one of my colleagues punch out his firstaider, as apparently the injection *is* that painful......
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:04 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Huh? why just ladies?

Haven't you heard of a sun dial? Use the same principle with a big stick. mark shadow point as W (sun rises in east and sets in west, so the first shadow point will point westwards since the sun is coming from the east). wait long enough for shadow to move a good distance. mark that point as E (since the sun has moved further westwards the shadow will fall further eastwards). Draw line perpendicular through middle, and mark out remaining N & S. Never East Shredded Wheat (good philosophy btw).

At night though, I'd be screwed as I don't know the signs of the zodiac. I think I would just go to sleep tbh.
Although before google-whacking I didn't know the correct answer, I did know that the above is incorrect. Depending on time of year and location, the sun can set more than 90 degrees away from west and rise more than 90 degrees away from east.

Edit to say that, moreover, its the wrong answer to the wrong question (coz it doesn't involve your watch).

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Apr 15th 2014 at 9:13 am.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:07 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Liwa hotel doesn't count.
does this
edit: added better pic and from this year

Last edited by shiva; Apr 15th 2014 at 9:11 am.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Huh? why just ladies?

Big Dipper / Saucepan. Apparently you follow the handle down, to the pan and the furthest two stars forming the other end of the pan point up to the North star. Which isn't very bright.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:22 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

79/100
Having said that, I make the best pasta in the world, so I hereby submit that should count for atleast 3 points!!
and why was there a good looking woman adjusting her assets in front of a mirror? I feel I should know the answer to this one...does that automatically deduct from my total?? I am confused as always now!
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:23 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

However, what I do want to know is .....how the stock market works…
Can I interest you in these magic beans?
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:24 am
womble

Although before google-whacking I didn't know the correct answer, I did know that the above is incorrect. Depending on time of year and location, the sun can set more than 90 degrees away from west and rise more than 90 degrees away from east.

Edit to say that, moreover, its the wrong answer to the wrong question (coz it doesn't involve your watch).
well, yes, but here in the Middle East it makes bugger all difference - in north Scotland, perhaps, but I never intend to get lost in North Scotland

ok, so I answered the wrong question, but the watch one sounds really simple, but is almost impossible to do in practice with any kind of accuracy - try it now - the sun is too high in the sky to get the mid point angle.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:26 am
womble

Originally Posted by Scamp
Big Dipper / Saucepan. Apparently you follow the handle down, to the pan and the furthest two stars forming the other end of the pan point up to the North star. Which isn't very bright.
yeah MrOS is always trying to tell me the stars, but for the life of me this is one thing where my brain just goes "hunh" on and I can never get. Bit like the "checking your balls are still there" thing that guys do - hunh?

Anyway - I'm on holiday today, and just avoiding the mid-day heat with the kids.

Aren't you lot all meant to be working?!
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:40 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

work? what strange word from a strange language is this?

btw I can always tell where north is day or night, my model came equipped with a built-in one. The most difficult time to tell in the day is at noon and in the night when there is no moon and the city lights make the stars dim out...or if there is a full moon

Last edited by Irishbeekeeper; Apr 15th 2014 at 9:41 am. Reason: *word
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

yeah MrOS is always trying to tell me the stars, but for the life of me this is one thing where my brain just goes "hunh" on and I can never get. Bit like the "checking your balls are still there" thing that guys do - hunh?

Anyway - I'm on holiday today, and just avoiding the mid-day heat with the kids.

I'm 'busy' trying to find Senior Planning Managers for Saudi. Yeah. Sucks.

Stars have fascinated me since my Mum's feller bought a telescope. Within 20 minutes of him having it set up he got me to look through it, could see Saturn, the rings and the gaps between the rings and planet. It blew my 8(?)yr old mind.

Then he took me to meet Patrick Moore at some talk and see moon rock.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:49 am
womble

Originally Posted by Scamp
Stars have fascinated me since my Mum's feller bought a telescope. Within 20 minutes of him having it set up he got me to look through it, could see Saturn, the rings and the gaps between the rings and planet. It blew my 8(?)yr old mind.

Then he took me to meet Patrick Moore at some talk and see moon rock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.