British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   How to make friends and alienate muslims.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/how-make-friends-alienate-muslims-767747/)

britexpat76 Aug 9th 2012 10:56 am

How to make friends and alienate muslims....

Should this be on the Silly Season Thread?

http://www.vice.com/read/i-walked-ar...-im-not-muslim

Meow Aug 9th 2012 11:11 am

Re: How to make friends and alienate muslims....

Oh my. What a silly girl. No understanding of the realities of women who either choose to dress like that, or have no option. She just appears incredibly self-centred, vacuous and thoughtless.

And don't bother with the links to similar articles underneath as they are just as stupid.

Alexa Aug 9th 2012 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10218494)
Oh my. What a silly girl. No understanding of the realities of women who either choose to dress like that, or have no option. She just appears incredibly self-centred, vacuous and thoughtless.

And don't bother with the links to similar articles underneath as they are just as stupid.

I don't know. Obviously , she is not Muslim, and she wanted to see what it feels like to wear an abaya. To tell you the truth, I would not in a million years want to wear one of those anywhere but in a Muslim country. And even then, only if I have to. As I did, in Saudi. And the girl is right, it's far from convenient or comfortable. I can relate to how she felt.

Bahtatboy Aug 9th 2012 11:44 am

OK, no understanding, but I don't see that its so silly. If nothing else, proved to herself that you can't tell a book by its cover. Sexy eyes, too.

Boomhauer Aug 9th 2012 11:46 am

:confused::confused:

I thought she just wanted to see/feel what it was like , kinda like how some men wear a getup that sort of simulates pregnancy, to feel what it is like to carry around several pounds in your stomach.

britexpat76 Aug 9th 2012 12:23 pm

Ignorant and bigoted could be used.

Alexa Aug 9th 2012 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10218592)
Ignorant and bigoted could be used.

ok, I seriously don't see it. Can you please explain why you see it this way?

Meow Aug 9th 2012 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 10218595)
ok, I seriously don't see it. Can you please explain why you see it this way?

The way that she treats is a big giggle and the childish comments. She wears it like a Halloween costume. It would be a far better article if she out it in context a little, by explaining the different items of clothing and where are worn, perhaps explaining that there are places where women have no choice in the matter.

britexpat76 Aug 9th 2012 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10218602)
The way that she treats is a big giggle and the childish comments. She wears it like a Halloween costume. It would be a far better article if she out it in context a little, by explaining the different items of clothing and where are worn, perhaps explaining that there are places where women have no choice in the matter.

Ignorant by calling a nijab a burqa

Bigoted by saying she looked a twat and wearing it sucked, comparing it to a halloween costume amongst other things......

Alexa Aug 9th 2012 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10218602)

Yes, I can see where you are coming from. But I think we must remember that we all here on BE have ME experience, know a lot about the local religion, customs etc. We are ,IMHO, oversensitized", for lack of a better term.
People anywhere else are not. They do not think this way, they are, in many cases, not overly PC and do not care about it either. They simply say what they feel or think, without overanalyzing.They do not, in most cases , man any harm...I do think this girl may be a little naive, but has no harm in mind. JMHO.:)

And let's be frank...how many of us have called a woman in abaya a "ninja"? If not openly, maybe in your mind?

Alexa Aug 9th 2012 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10218609)

Bigoted by saying she looked a twat and wearing it sucked, comparing it to a halloween costume amongst other things......

Thanks for your reply. Please read my reply to Meow above, as it applies to your post too. :)

Blue Cat Aug 9th 2012 1:02 pm

Interestingly my friend here who is British but converted due to marriage has given me an abaya and shayla, we had a great discussion about it and about how she gets more respect out of abaya than in, it's something that made me want to give it a try but haven't as yet. I thought that being dressed *Emirati* may afford me more respect in the Malls etc but apparently not the case at all. Never did get the guts to try it :)

Alexa Aug 9th 2012 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10218634)
Interestingly my friend here who is British but converted due to marriage has given me an abaya and shayla, we had a great discussion about it and about how she gets more respect out of abaya than in, it's something that made me want to give it a try but haven't as yet. I thought that being dressed *Emirati* may afford me more respect in the Malls etc but apparently not the case at all. Never did get the guts to try it :)

Interesting that you are saying that. I just saw a thread on another website where somebody was complaining about shopkeepers charging more to Europeans and especially Qataris in their shops.
So I guess, no, wearing an ababya may actually cost you more money!

Blue Cat Aug 9th 2012 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 10218644)
Interesting that you are saying that. I just saw a thread on another website where somebody was complaining about shopkeepers charging more to Europeans and especially Qataris in their shops.
So I guess, no, wearing an ababya may actually cost you more money!

she said since she stopped wearing it she feels she is respected more by shop assistants etc.

Norm_uk Aug 9th 2012 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10218609)

I agree with the ignorant part but how is it bigoted to offer her personal opinion of the garb. It is a ridiculous piece of clothing - saying so only confirms one doesn't like draping women in sackcloth to the point of not being able to recognise them.

N.