British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   How have you found Ramadan? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/how-have-you-found-ramadan-803965/)

Blue Cat Jul 25th 2013 7:23 am

How have you found Ramadan?

I have thoroughly enjoyed it thus far, shops quiet, easy to get parked, some nice Iftar deals, some great days out at Wild Wadi, I declare it has been my easiest one in years :) my cousin is coming over for the last few days and then we have Eid :)

The_Citizen Jul 25th 2013 7:30 am

Re: How have you found Ramadan?

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10818099)
I have thoroughly enjoyed it thus far, shops quiet, easy to get parked, some nice Iftar deals, some great days out at Wild Wadi, I declare it has been my easiest one in years :) my cousin is coming over for the last few days and then we have Eid :)

It's my first one this year.

Not been to a Iftar yet. I need to go before I go back to the UK next week. Which one would you recommend?

The roads are quiet when I leave site at 5.30 from Abu Dhabi but the roads are like an episode of wacky races from about 6.20 ish!

On the whole its not half as bad as it is made out to be.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 25th 2013 7:32 am

I get home 20 minutes earlier by not stop-starting all the way up the Sheikhs Helmet Road.

Bliss.

Millhouse Jul 25th 2013 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10818099)

It's never been hard!

I love Ramadan. Love it.

DOHDUBMAN Jul 25th 2013 7:54 am

Really enjoying it. Quieter roads,less work hours and umpteen amounts of parties :)

Inselaffen Jul 25th 2013 8:23 am

doesnt really affect me apart from having less choice for lunch.
start 30 minutes later in the morning but still work until normal time despite officially working only until 4pm.

mikewot Jul 25th 2013 8:29 am

Originally Posted by The_Citizen (Post 10818108)
Not been to a Iftar yet. I need to go before I go back to the UK next week. Which one would you recommend?

In the tent at Atlantis. An amazing spectacle and the foods pretty good as well ;)

Blue Cat Jul 25th 2013 8:48 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10818183)
In the tent at Atlantis. An amazing spectacle and the foods pretty good as well ;)

I haven't been but have heard many good reports on this one, I like smaller places Caspian in Al Barsha is my choice but I am ashamed to say I haven't been round there yet this year, they will be wondering where I am :)

The_Citizen Jul 25th 2013 8:56 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10818183)

Will have to sort it before I go back :)

britexpat76 Jul 25th 2013 9:09 am

Shit as all the rest.........Longer hours, split days and I can get nothing done as everyone is either not arsed or at home. Utter waste of a month

DohaLady Jul 25th 2013 9:13 am

Just like every other year I love it

It's going to take time to adjust to normal working hours again too (not having a drink at 3pm ;) )

Millhouse Jul 25th 2013 9:17 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10818231)
Shit as all the rest.........Longer hours, split days and I can get nothing done as everyone is either not arsed or at home. Utter waste of a month

do you sell more cars though?

Patsy Stoned Jul 25th 2013 9:48 am

I love Ramadan in the summer.. I am always quieter at this time because my 'yummy mummies' go home, so I get a rest :)
I am very impressed that most of my local girls are still training through Ramadan.
I can't go for brunch so I am having pool parties every Friday...life is good :D

Meow Jul 25th 2013 10:51 am

Originally Posted by The_Citizen (Post 10818108)
It's my first one this year.

The roads are quiet when I leave site at 5.30 from Abu Dhabi but the roads are like an episode of wacky races from about 6.20 ish!

On the whole its not half as bad as it is made out to be.

I like the one at H Hotel overseen by Silvena Rowe. AED 180 per head and if you book for four people, you only pay for three. It's failry quiet and low key, but the food is good. Silvena is there every day and will stop and chat. I interviewed her earlier this week and she is an interesting, feisty woman.

Edited to add that Ramadan is busier than usual for me this year. Many clients are working shorter hours so are free to see me later in the day so I'm working my normal long hours. It really makes little difference to me each year. It's just mildly irritating not to be able to have a drink of water whilst in the car, but it's not really an issue, especially as I am a smug non-smoker this year.

Blue Cat Jul 25th 2013 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10818434)
I like the one at H Hotel overseen by Silvena Rowe. AED 180 per head and if you book for four people, you only pay for three. It's failry quiet and low key, but the food is good. Silvena is there every day and will stop and chat. I interviewed her earlier this week and she is an interesting, feisty woman.

what was the valet parking like down there? I do fancy trying this one I have to say, Silvena has quite a reputation :)