British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   How happy and settled are you with life (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/how-happy-settled-you-life-891010/)

DXBtoDOH Feb 8th 2017 9:58 am

Re: How happy and settled are you with life

The older you get the more of a pain it is to make new friends. That's the biggest headache of expat life.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 8th 2017 10:51 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12174198)
The older you get the more of a pain it is to make new friends. That's the biggest headache of expat life.

Nope. It's my terrible personality.

mission Feb 8th 2017 10:52 am

:goodpost:
so very true

Bahtatboy Feb 9th 2017 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12174231)
Nope. It's my terrible personality.

I long for a personality.

co durham boy Feb 10th 2017 6:56 am

They don't make em like they used to mate !

NorthernLad Feb 12th 2017 2:08 pm

I don't think it gets harder to make new friends, I think you learn to be more selective and avoid some of the absolute twats that this place still attracts.

I still see people arriving here and taking out the loans for big houses, fast cars, endless brunches and after a year complain about the cost of living.

IKnowNothing Feb 12th 2017 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 12177833)
I don't think it gets harder to make new friends, I think you learn to be more selective and avoid some of the absolute twats that this place still attracts.

I still see people arriving here and taking out the loans for big houses, fast cars, endless brunches and after a year complain about the cost of living.

And piss off/do a runner when the bank won't give them any more debt.

DXBtoDOH Feb 12th 2017 4:20 pm

It's not a question of it being harder to make friends. I agree it isn't, if you mean meeting new people and doing stuff.

It's a pain to have to make friends. Especially as you know they'll just be temporary acquaintances to have a few drinks with every now and then and you'll forget each other as soon as you or they leave the country. That whole level of casual, thousand 'friends' on Facebook mindset when you're a twenty something doesn't carry over well when you hit your 30s and even older.

There's something to be said about the people who stay put and have solid circles of good friends. Real friendships. Not the sifting through 100 flakes to find a decent friend issue we have as expats. Then when you do find a good friend, what do they do? Up and leave the country :frown:

co durham boy Feb 13th 2017 3:44 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12177952)
It's not a question of it being harder to make friends. I agree it isn't, if you mean meeting new people and doing stuff.

It's a pain to have to make friends. Especially as you know they'll just be temporary acquaintances to have a few drinks with every now and then and you'll forget each other as soon as you or they leave the country. That whole level of casual, thousand 'friends' on Facebook mindset when you're a twenty something doesn't carry over well when you hit your 30s and even older.

There's something to be said about the people who stay put and have solid circles of good friends. Real friendships. Not the sifting through 100 flakes to find a decent friend issue we have as expats. Then when you do find a good friend, what do they do? Up and leave the country :frown:

:goodpost: I know hundreds of people in this town but hold very few as close friends , it's just impossible as it's so transient .

As you get older you don't need many friends , i'm completely at ease with a handful plus sometimes a quiet pint in your own company can suffice .

UKCityGent Feb 13th 2017 3:57 am

[QUOTE=co durham boy;12178379] I know hundreds of people in this town but hold very few as close friends QUOTE]

I find a difference between acquaintances and friends. I have really about 5 key friends in the region who I know I can rely 99% on.

I think its much easier to strike an acquaintanceship here - much easier than London or elsewhere.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 13th 2017 4:06 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12177952)

Don't be too downbeat about it. People are such unpredictable creatrures, they come and go and we've had our best buds move home and another is ****ing off to Australia this summer. Makes it harder but frankly, better friendships come out of nowhere and here seem to be a product of mutual convenience.

mission Feb 14th 2017 9:04 am

majority of people are complete tossers out here.....particularly Brits.....

scot47 Feb 20th 2017 7:58 am

Mistake to get too settled. The Middle East is just a waystation in life's journey ! You will all be leaving one day ! Your sojourn is temporary, even if you bought yourself a condominium in the UAE !

Kakawax Feb 20th 2017 6:14 pm

yup, its mostly good and relatively better than it was a few years ago... so can't complain, apart from Dubai being a tosser magnet. :)