Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How happy and settled are you with life

View Poll Results: Are you happy
Yup. Life is great - really looking forward to the future and whatever that may bring
11.11%
Yup. Life is mostly good
37.78%
I'm comfortable with my lot. Things could be better, but you make the best of it.
24.44%
I need a change
20.00%
Oh man, I've even managed to drop yogurt on my trousers today
6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

How happy and settled are you with life

Old Feb 8th 2017, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How happy and settled are you with life

The older you get the more of a pain it is to make new friends. That's the biggest headache of expat life.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 10:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
The older you get the more of a pain it is to make new friends. That's the biggest headache of expat life.
Nope. It's my terrible personality.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

so very true
Old Feb 9th 2017, 12:05 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Nope. It's my terrible personality.
I long for a personality.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

They don't make em like they used to mate !
Old Feb 12th 2017, 2:08 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it gets harder to make new friends, I think you learn to be more selective and avoid some of the absolute twats that this place still attracts.

I still see people arriving here and taking out the loans for big houses, fast cars, endless brunches and after a year complain about the cost of living.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I don't think it gets harder to make new friends, I think you learn to be more selective and avoid some of the absolute twats that this place still attracts.

I still see people arriving here and taking out the loans for big houses, fast cars, endless brunches and after a year complain about the cost of living.
And piss off/do a runner when the bank won't give them any more debt.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a question of it being harder to make friends. I agree it isn't, if you mean meeting new people and doing stuff.

It's a pain to have to make friends. Especially as you know they'll just be temporary acquaintances to have a few drinks with every now and then and you'll forget each other as soon as you or they leave the country. That whole level of casual, thousand 'friends' on Facebook mindset when you're a twenty something doesn't carry over well when you hit your 30s and even older.

There's something to be said about the people who stay put and have solid circles of good friends. Real friendships. Not the sifting through 100 flakes to find a decent friend issue we have as expats. Then when you do find a good friend, what do they do? Up and leave the country
Old Feb 13th 2017, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a question of it being harder to make friends. I agree it isn't, if you mean meeting new people and doing stuff.

It's a pain to have to make friends. Especially as you know they'll just be temporary acquaintances to have a few drinks with every now and then and you'll forget each other as soon as you or they leave the country. That whole level of casual, thousand 'friends' on Facebook mindset when you're a twenty something doesn't carry over well when you hit your 30s and even older.

There's something to be said about the people who stay put and have solid circles of good friends. Real friendships. Not the sifting through 100 flakes to find a decent friend issue we have as expats. Then when you do find a good friend, what do they do? Up and leave the country
I know hundreds of people in this town but hold very few as close friends , it's just impossible as it's so transient .

As you get older you don't need many friends , i'm completely at ease with a handful plus sometimes a quiet pint in your own company can suffice .
Old Feb 13th 2017, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=co durham boy;12178379] I know hundreds of people in this town but hold very few as close friends QUOTE]

I find a difference between acquaintances and friends. I have really about 5 key friends in the region who I know I can rely 99% on.

I think its much easier to strike an acquaintanceship here - much easier than London or elsewhere.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Don't be too downbeat about it. People are such unpredictable creatrures, they come and go and we've had our best buds move home and another is ****ing off to Australia this summer. Makes it harder but frankly, better friendships come out of nowhere and here seem to be a product of mutual convenience.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

majority of people are complete tossers out here.....particularly Brits.....
Old Feb 20th 2017, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Mistake to get too settled. The Middle East is just a waystation in life's journey ! You will all be leaving one day ! Your sojourn is temporary, even if you bought yourself a condominium in the UAE !
Old Feb 20th 2017, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

yup, its mostly good and relatively better than it was a few years ago... so can't complain, apart from Dubai being a tosser magnet.