British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   How on earth is this statement relevant?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/how-earth-statement-relevant-802736/)

flares Jul 13th 2013 4:33 am

How on earth is this statement relevant??

http://riyadhconnect.com/ethiopian-m...ild-in-riyadh/

In a gruesome incident, an Ethiopian domestic worker killed the daughter of her Syrian employer in Al-Nahda district, east of Riyadh on Thursday.

According to Akhbaar24, the maid used a knife to slice off the head of the girl while she was asleep. The child’s parents woke up at noon to find their 10-year-old child slaughtered.

The maid was arrested when she tried to escape through the house door after committing the crime. Police has launched an investigation.

A relative of the family said that the maid who committed the crime was single and not more than 30 years old. She had been working for this family for only a month and half. He also said that the maid’s sponsor, who was out of the country handed the maid to the Syrian family knowing that the family would treat the maid properly. It is reported that the child had memorized almost half the Holy Quran and has never skipped a prayer since she was 3.

A few weeks back, another similar murder shocked the kingdom where an Ethiopian maid slit the throat of the 6-year-old daughter of her sponsor.

*realise it is KSA but really

Millhouse Jul 13th 2013 5:25 am

Re: How on earth is this statement relevant??

Probably the equivalent of 'she was a straight A student cut off in her prime' -- used in western media all the time.

Horrible story though.

Blue Cat Jul 13th 2013 6:35 am

that is awful :(

weasel decentral Jul 13th 2013 6:38 am

It's either a way to show how good the girl was or a secretive questioning religion statement - where was her god to protect her?

Either way terrible story

NorthernLad Jul 13th 2013 7:00 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10797827)
http://riyadhconnect.com/ethiopian-m...ild-in-riyadh/

In a gruesome incident, an Ethiopian domestic worker killed the daughter of her Syrian employer in Al-Nahda district, east of Riyadh on Thursday.

According to Akhbaar24, the maid used a knife to slice off the head of the girl while she was asleep. The child’s parents woke up at noon to find their 10-year-old child slaughtered.

The maid was arrested when she tried to escape through the house door after committing the crime. Police has launched an investigation.

A relative of the family said that the maid who committed the crime was single and not more than 30 years old. She had been working for this family for only a month and half. He also said that the maid’s sponsor, who was out of the country handed the maid to the Syrian family knowing that the family would treat the maid properly. It is reported that the child had memorized almost half the Holy Quran and has never skipped a prayer since she was 3.

A few weeks back, another similar murder shocked the kingdom where an Ethiopian maid slit the throat of the 6-year-old daughter of her sponsor.

*realise it is KSA but really

Two Ethiopian maids in the space of a few weeks slitting kids throats??

Call me cynical, but something sounds strange there to me.

Boomhauer Jul 13th 2013 8:32 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10797915)
It's either a way to show how good the girl was or a secretive questioning religion statement - where was her god to protect her?

Excellent observation my dear fellow;)

OleJanx Jul 13th 2013 8:35 am

Am I the only one who finds the phrase 'Her sponsor handed her over to the Syrian family' distasteful. I know it's KSA, but until they get a grasp on the idea that slavery is an outmoded, and illegal idea outlawed by the U.N, which the saudi's are members of, incidents like this are likely to keep occuring. Still appalling, though.

OleJanx Jul 13th 2013 8:35 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10797915)

I wonder which half she remembered?

redShark Jul 13th 2013 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10798033)
Excellent observation my dear fellow;)

Quite a ridiculous observation I must say, not surprised though that you picked that up!!
That statement has nothing to do with questioning the faith, it rather is similar to statement in a western media reporting the death of a young woman, for example, by saying ‘she was a beautiful young lady’. Both statements are talking about a beauty, the Muslim version is on about the beauty of the heart while the western version is on about the beauty of the body

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 14th 2013 4:52 am

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 10798754)
Quite a ridiculous observation I must say, not surprised though that you picked that up!!
That statement has nothing to do with questioning the faith, it rather is similar to statement in a western media reporting the death of a young woman, for example, by saying ‘she was a beautiful young lady’. Both statements are talking about a beauty, the Muslim version is on about the beauty of the heart while the western version is on about the beauty of the body

Wrong.

Meow Jul 14th 2013 6:50 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10798036)
Am I the only one who finds the phrase 'Her sponsor handed her over to the Syrian family' distasteful. I know it's KSA, but until they get a grasp on the idea that slavery is an outmoded, and illegal idea outlawed by the U.N, which the saudi's are members of, incidents like this are likely to keep occuring. Still appalling, though.

You aren't the only one. Domestic staff are seen as chattels by many.

Horrible story all round.

Boomhauer Jul 14th 2013 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 10798754)

You will not want to admit it but the article writer made a bit of own goal with that comment if all he really just wanted was to garner as much sympathy for the victim as possible, because that comment could easily be read as questioning the motive of god.