Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How to dump your other half (asking for a friend)

How to dump your other half (asking for a friend)

Old May 27th 2018, 9:17 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to dump your other half (asking for a friend)

Book a weeks vacation, take her back to Phil, give her a bit of cash, say goodbye.

enjoy the rest of the week's vacation, without her

problem solved
Old May 28th 2018, 4:18 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Some pretty horrific answers in here, lots of tough talking old geezers

Your red nosed 'friend' has a degree of responsibility here especially if he has basically provided for her or at least the understanding between them was that was to be the case. A proper deadline with a ticket home seems like the honourable thing to do, if she doesn't have her own visa or legitimate reason to be in the UAE.

Sensible advice aside; bringing another girl home and organising a jelly pool wrestling tournament for the dubious honour of living with the alky seems a viable comedy option.
Old May 28th 2018, 4:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I honestly don't see paying her to leave, buying a ticket or donating funds as an actual answer.

Whilst it may seem more 'honorable' it's just buying your way out of a problem and giving yourself a pat on the back for being a good guy....when we all know throwing money at things is just a very easy way out.

Just asking this person leave and giving them notice is plenty. Quite why someone would hang around at the end of a relationship is beyond me. Perhaps because they want something? Like some cash or a flight or help with rent? Bugger me sideways. What a surprise.
If they're genuinely ****ed and can't do anything then help to buy them a ticket home and ask them to pay you back. It's a fairly short relationship and you're under no obligation to provide for someone for the next X period of time.
Old May 28th 2018, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Some great ideas here, I've sent him a link - he wasn't happy at being called a borderline alcoholic......
Old May 28th 2018, 5:52 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I honestly don't see paying her to leave, buying a ticket or donating funds as an actual answer.

Whilst it may seem more 'honorable' it's just buying your way out of a problem and giving yourself a pat on the back for being a good guy....when we all know throwing money at things is just a very easy way out.

Just asking this person leave and giving them notice is plenty. Quite why someone would hang around at the end of a relationship is beyond me. Perhaps because they want something? Like some cash or a flight or help with rent? Bugger me sideways. What a surprise.
If they're genuinely ****ed and can't do anything then help to buy them a ticket home and ask them to pay you back. It's a fairly short relationship and you're under no obligation to provide for someone for the next X period of time.
According to him it's been two years.
In my opinion these relationships are mostly based on financial terms (if it's not directly spoken about, it's certainly implied), the tap of love turns off when the funds run dry. So the balance of power or equality in the relationship is hugely skewed in favour of the guy, hence why I'm saying the honourable thing. Nobody is going to come out of it feeling good, or giving themselves a pat on the back, but as a relatively wealthy expat he could cough up something rather than throwing her out the door.
Old May 28th 2018, 6:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
According to him it's been two years.
In my opinion these relationships are mostly based on financial terms (if it's not directly spoken about, it's certainly implied), the tap of love turns off when the funds run dry. So the balance of power or equality in the relationship is hugely skewed in favour of the guy, hence why I'm saying the honourable thing. Nobody is going to come out of it feeling good, or giving themselves a pat on the back, but as a relatively wealthy expat he could cough up something rather than throwing her out the door.
Maybe he's not that wealthy? Maybe he's got money troubles or doesn't earn loads to have that kind of spare cash?

Binning her and kicking her out is harsh if she's stuck with nowhere to go, no money and no hope....of course.
But supporting someone when a relationship has ended seems pointless, especially if entering into a relationship based on these terms (directly or implied).
Dunno...I sound horrid perhaps but dragging these things out or slowly funding someone to restart their 'life' is always going to be the start of a slippery slope.
Old May 28th 2018, 7:46 am
Knee deep and rising

Maybe he's not that wealthy? Maybe he's got money troubles or doesn't earn loads to have that kind of spare cash?
He's pissing his spare cash against the wall maybe

Anyhow the entire scenario sounds rather grim, I'm imagining a red nosed and faced northern type, from a trades turned 'management' background, mid 50's living in squalor in a 2 bed flat in some expat ghetto and a similarly pot bellied Filipina nail polisher plucked from a shit hole village.
Old May 28th 2018, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Anyhow the entire scenario sounds rather grim, I'm imagining a red nosed and faced northern type, from a trades turned 'management' background, mid 50's living in squalor in a 2 bed flat in some expat ghetto and a similarly pot bellied Filipina nail polisher plucked from a shit hole village.
We have the same mental image, only mine is a one bed flat in JLT and she is skinny.

I also don’t see the need to set her up beyond driving her and the stuff to the new bed space to save on the taxi fare.

If nothing, she will be highly resourceful when it comes to survival without him. If moving another girl in isn’t a viable solution, then taking all processed food out of the fridge and replacing it with vegetables might be.

Old May 28th 2018, 8:30 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Some pretty horrific answers in here, lots of tough talking old geezers

Your red nosed 'friend' has a degree of responsibility here especially if he has basically provided for her or at least the understanding between them was that was to be the case. A proper deadline with a ticket home seems like the honourable thing to do, if she doesn't have her own visa or legitimate reason to be in the UAE.

Sensible advice aside; bringing another girl home and organising a jelly pool wrestling tournament for the dubious honour of living with the alky seems a viable comedy option.
A great post in what's a pretty grim thread. The woman in question is being talked about as though she's a rancid piece of meat, which makes it ok to throw her out with the trash. Deadline to leave and ticket home is fair to both - he gets rid, she goes home.
Old May 28th 2018, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
A great post in what's a pretty grim thread. The woman in question is being talked about as though she's a rancid piece of meat, which makes it ok to throw her out with the trash. Deadline to leave and ticket home is fair to both - he gets rid, she goes home.
My bet is that she doesn’t want to go home.
Old May 28th 2018, 8:37 am
Account Closed

Maybe, maybe not, I'm sure we'll never know.
I think your description is pretty much spot on though. I'm placing him in either Barsha or Bur Dubai.

Originally Posted by Millhouse

We have the same mental image, only mine is a one bed flat in JLT and she is skinny.

I also don’t see the need to set her up beyond driving her and the stuff to the new bed space to save on the taxi fare.

If nothing, she will be highly resourceful when it comes to survival without him. If moving another girl in isn’t a viable solution, then taking all processed food out of the fridge and replacing it with vegetables might be.

JLT. Interesting shout.
Skinny is irrelevant, she'll probably still wear clothes that are 4 sizes too small for her like every Filipino.
Old May 28th 2018, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe, maybe not, I'm sure we'll never know.
I think your description is pretty much spot on though. I'm placing him in either Barsha or Bur Dubai.

JLT. Interesting shout.
Skinny is irrelevant, she'll probably still wear clothes that are 4 sizes too small for her like every Filipino.
Walking distance to regrettigans where they spend many a conversationless hour watching sports TV.

Old May 28th 2018, 8:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I've been pretty rude about him too I think and you shouldn't turn what's said to fit an agenda or preconception though, that's not very fair. For example, I'm not saying throw her out like a piece of trash, I'm saying give her a week and then expect her to be gone (I'd say the same if it was her paying the bills and rent etc). But paying someone to leave? Isn't it basically enticing or bribing someone to bugger off that bit quicker? Unless they are desperate and need it, it seems a bit of a waste of money to pay someone to go.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Walking distance to regrettigans where they spend many a conversationless hour watching sports TV.
With a hand on her knee and a fag in mouth.
Old May 28th 2018, 9:20 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

You should write novels.
Old May 28th 2018, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

He could of corse take the easy option and do nothing. Ride out the visa expiry and don’t let her back... pray no job comes up in the meantime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.