Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How does such an ugly handbag cost $38,000!

How does such an ugly handbag cost $38,000!

Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:35 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does such an ugly handbag cost $38,000!

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
It is very easy to spot fakes if you know what you are looking for.... the most common mistakes are.... the wrong colour skin, bad stitching, the pattern doesn't match, the leather handles are badly placed or the bag's hardware (buckles, locks, emblems etc) are in the wrong place or cheap looking.

Darling...if you see a group of housemaids in the mall carrying a Birkin, which retails between 10 and 24k sterling, then you know it is a fake!
Thankfully, I don't know what a Birkin is. Firkin, yes.

And I still have and use my LV golf bag bought in Itaewon (the Seoul equivalent of Karama) 26 years ago. Just the brassware is showing its fakery.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:44 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Indeed it does - about the person who is judging, not the person being judged.

It's not about having money, it's about being clean, taking care of yourself and also your attitude towards everything else. You know perfectly well what I mean and you judge people every day.

You lot are such hypocrites.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:50 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

I think that people who splash out stupid (in my opinion $38,000 is obscene for a bag) amounts of money for what they perceive to be status symbols are very shallow indeed.

Same goes for shoes - why is it the less material on a woman's shoe the more expensive it is?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:17 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

That's where you lot are getting it wrong. Many of us don't buy an expensive bag or shoes as a status symbol, but because we value quality that lasts and keeps looking good for years. I buy certain brands - usually ones without obvious logos - as the leather is high quality as is the workmanship. That's what you can spot - the difference between good materials. You only have to pay a few hundred dollars to get a good product, not thousands. And as everyone knows, yet some refuse to admit, everyone wants nice things and there is nothing wrong with that.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:46 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
It's easy to spot quality, or lack thereof. Personal grooming matters. If you're scruffy and unkempt in your appearance it says quite a lot about other things.
but regarding the bag , how close up would you have to be to spot a fake ? I take it you can't tell from 30m say .
and what percentage of women do you think would be able to spot a fake ?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:48 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

It is very easy to spot fakes if you know what you are looking for.... the most common mistakes are.... the wrong colour skin, bad stitching, the pattern doesn't match, the leather handles are badly placed or the bag's hardware (buckles, locks, emblems etc) are in the wrong place or cheap looking.

Darling...if you see a group of housemaids in the mall carrying a Birkin, which retails between 10 and 24k sterling, then you know it is a fake!
how close would you have to be to spot all that ?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

That's where you lot are getting it wrong. Many of us don't buy an expensive bag or shoes as a status symbol, but because we value quality that lasts and keeps looking good for years. I buy certain brands - usually ones without obvious logos - as the leather is high quality as is the workmanship. That's what you can spot - the difference between good materials. You only have to pay a few hundred dollars to get a good product, not thousands. And as everyone knows, yet some refuse to admit, everyone wants nice things and there is nothing wrong with that.
My mother always told me to go for quality... the clothes that I buy are a mix...I have lots of quality clothes that have lasted for years. It doesn't matter about the brand..I don't buy anything that has the label on the outside!

I can mix these with cheaper tops and skirts ...which I have to say after a few washes I have to throw out and buy new. If I spend 1000 pounds on a jacket, which is a classic style and has lasted for 10 years, then that is value for money.
If I spend 60 pounds on a jacket and it starts to fade, fall apart at the seams after 6 months...that is not such a good option.
I don't buy things that are ..as some of my 'fashionista' clients say are .."bang on trend" I buy things that I like, are well made and look good.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
how close would you have to be to spot all that ?
Not far darling Once you know what you are looking for it is easy to spot.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:16 am
Bored liberal

My mother always told me to go for quality... the clothes that I buy are a mix...I have lots of quality clothes that have lasted for years. It doesn't matter about the brand..I don't buy anything that has the label on the outside!

I can mix these with cheaper tops and skirts ...which I have to say after a few washes I have to throw out and buy new. If I spend 1000 pounds on a jacket, which is a classic style and has lasted for 10 years, then that is value for money.
If I spend 60 pounds on a jacket and it starts to fade, fall apart at the seams after 6 months...that is not such a good option.
I don't buy things that are ..as some of my 'fashionista' clients say are .."bang on trend" I buy things that I like, are well made and look good.
Exactly. Style trumps fashion.

The best value item I have ever bought was a pair of black leather ankle boots which were around GBP 180 around 1999/2000. Quite a lot of money at the time. I wore them loads in the UK and still have them now. Cost per wear less than 30p I reckon.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:20 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
but regarding the bag , how close up would you have to be to spot a fake ? I take it you can't tell from 30m say .
and what percentage of women do you think would be able to spot a fake ?

You are missing the point. It's about quality and not pretending you can afford something that you can't. Shallowness is spending money on a fake.

If you can't afford some fancy label, that's fine, buy the best that you can. You aren't judged on being poor or not being wealthy. You don't have to spend vast sums to be well presented.

And I'm not even going to get into everything associated with the fakes such as organised crime, etc.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:12 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. Style trumps fashion.

The best value item I have ever bought was a pair of black leather ankle boots which were around GBP 180 around 1999/2000. Quite a lot of money at the time. I wore them loads in the UK and still have them now. Cost per wear less than 30p I reckon.
that's the way to do it, investment purchases, I have a pair I bought here about 10 years ago that I still wear. I got them in a sale for about 700 dhs.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
that's the way to do it, investment purchases, I have a pair I bought here about 10 years ago that I still wear. I got them in a sale for about 700 dhs.
I have a pair of Y-fronts that I have worn every day for the last twelve years........
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:29 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The Dean
I have a pair of Y-fronts that I have worn every day for the last twelve years........
On a similar note I was bought a pair of red silk boxers by an ex in the 90s.

They rotted,
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:48 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
On a similar note I was bought a pair of red silk boxers by an ex in the 90s.

They rotted,
you need to wash them occasionally ...
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:51 pm
Bored liberal

QED fellas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.