Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How do you know when to leave Dubai?

How do you know when to leave Dubai?

Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:49 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do you know when to leave Dubai?

As of January I will have been here for three years.

Damn.

I've had a good time....but there's a part of me that's beginning to wonder if it was a wasted three years, a detour from serious life.

Whilst I've always known someday I would leave, for the first time I'm seriously contemplating it. It won't happen for another year but the world being what it is I can't quit one day and expect to find a new position the following week so it will require careful advance planning.

As for you all on this, ahem, lovely expat forum, how will you know the time is right to leave Dubai?
Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:53 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you know when to leave Dubai?

So obviously he DID get her pregnant, she's demanding a wedding in the UK and won't contemplate living out here, he's on a six-month notice period, Mater and Pater would die of synchronised heart attacks at the thought of either abortion or their grandchild being born out of wedlock...

Surely you can get a dodgy DNA result fixed here?
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:03 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

When you reach over 6,000 posts on here.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
So obviously he DID get her pregnant, she's demanding a wedding in the UK and won't contemplate living out here, he's on a six-month notice period, Mater and Pater would die of synchronised heart attacks at the thought of either abortion or their grandchild being born out of wedlock...

Surely you can get a dodgy DNA result fixed here?
It's more serious than that... sounds like he fell in love.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:04 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
It's more serious than that... sounds like he fell in love.
I know people say daft things on here, but that's just ridiculous. Get a grip, man.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:08 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

i find i make all my best ..umm life changing decisions after alcohol.

drink a bottle of gin, hit the town and tomorrow when you awaken you will have your answer.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:10 am
Account Closed

Millhouse is a romantic at heart. He wants to see me set up for life with a wifey and babby. Aww.....

It was the visitor last week who did, indirectly, encourage me to have doubts about my future in Dubai although not for the reasons mentioned above. By the way, her old man is an old school CoE canon so either abortion or out of wedlock is a major no no, but thankfully there's no need for either.

But let's be serious here. What will be the reason you decide to leave Dubai? Get tired of the heat? Lose a job? Or are you committed to life here?
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
It was the visitor last week who did, indirectly, encourage me to have doubts about my future in Dubai although not for the reasons mentioned above. By the way, her old man is an old school CoE canon so either abortion or out of wedlock is a major no no, but thankfully there's no need for either.
Christ, she really was a pain in the ass.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

As of January I will have been here for three years.

Damn.

I've had a good time....but there's a part of me that's beginning to wonder if it was a wasted three years, a detour from serious life.

Whilst I've always known someday I would leave, for the first time I'm seriously contemplating it. It won't happen for another year but the world being what it is I can't quit one day and expect to find a new position the following week so it will require careful advance planning.

As for you all on this, ahem, lovely expat forum, how will you know the time is right to leave Dubai?
Dubai's a decent city to earn a living in but it wears you down in the end . The social life tends to become tedious and the day to day tasks become a little more tiresome.You're world consists of Dubai and Dubai speak only , it's like being on a mini-planet.

You become more cynical by the day and you end up treading water . It's great if you can leave and take a contract elsewhere then come back and have another bash at Dubai.

I was there on business last week and iv'e never seen the bars and restaurants that empty . There's traffic on the road but it looks like there's a lot suffering elsewhere.

Everyone leaves eventually !
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:28 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Everyone leaves eventually !
apart from BC. she will get her first purple rinse here.

(if she hasn't already had one)
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:12 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by weasel central
i find i make all my best ..umm life changing decisions after alcohol. drink a bottle of gin, hit the town and tomorrow when you awaken you will have your answer.
No alcohol being served in the bars tonight coz its Arafat Day (or whatever) tomorrow.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:17 am
Account Closed

She is a lovely girl. She had a good time. Let's leave it at that.

But my old flame is coming to Dubai from Lahore for an interview. We're having drinks this weekend. I'm thinking Buddha bar again

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Christ, she really was a pain in the ass.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She is a lovely girl. She had a good time. Let's leave it at that.

But my old flame is coming to Dubai from Lahore for an interview. We're having drinks this weekend. I'm thinking Buddha bar again
Fair enough.

Now to answer your question... I'm not a believer in the "two buckets" way of thinking. As one of the buckets has a hole in.

So, for me, it's only when the shit bucket is full or I have some burning desire to go somewhere else.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:38 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
apart from BC. she will get her first purple rinse here.

(if she hasn't already had one)
got the purple rinse already

you leave when you want to leave, no one tells you, you just know when the time is right. IF you get a better package in a better country then go for it, I say. If we were offered something somewhere else, I would think about it .....
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:46 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

we are actually looking forward to a change. we will be out of the sandpit in 9 months time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.