I've nothing to do
9.80%
I've already dumped the 4x4 at the airport
1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

How is business?

Old Dec 9th 2015, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is business?

will be interesting to see if the Dubai tourist industry benefits from the bombing of the Russian plane and the Russo-Turkish spat.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
will be interesting to see if the Dubai tourist industry benefits from the bombing of the Russian plane and the Russo-Turkish spat.
On the ground evidence would suggest, no.

Dubai is a very very expensive place these days and the currency is moving the wrong way. The other countries were attractive as they were cheap. I doubt these value tourists will be swapping to Dubai.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 9:36 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Aside from the economic side (Dubai is expensive, Turkey and Egypt were at the cheap end), the present international focus on islamic terrorism is unlikely to do anything to help Dubai with either Russians or Europeans in general. I have plenty of friends who comment "I bet you're glad you're not out there now". Rightly or wrongly, there is a perception that the middle east is more dangerous than it's been for a long time and that even flying over it is a risk.

Today in the news there are claims that the UAE is trying 41 people for a terrorist plot a year ago. While it's hard to really know if it's what the UAE says it is (let's face it, dictators hang on to power by banging up all political opposition on trumped up charges, so this is exactly what you'd expect if 41 civil rights campaigners signed a letter to the president calling for universal suffrage), it's not going to help the perception that the UAE is somehow immune to this kind of thing.

Last edited by captainflack; Dec 9th 2015 at 9:46 am.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

It's a lose-lose situation.

The UAE has these trials to reassure everyone that they're serious about keeping a tight lid on any potential dissent and they certainly don't want anyone rocking the boat in this country. Notice how quickly they reacted to the Reem Island stabbing? Dictatorship or not, it's a benign one and one that works very well for the locals and expats. It is the ideal Muslim state and a rare role model. I have no criticism.

But the trials still signal to the rest of the world the potential for terror attacks, despite however small and certainly less than in, say, the UK. So by attempting to combat the perception of danger, they're only perpetuating it. It's unfair, isn't it?

Although there may have been other incidents which we know absolutely nothing about. I wouldn't be surprised. I don't think events have been hushed up but the odds that certain individuals / groups in the UAE were quietly eliminated before they could cause too much trouble is probably higher than we think.

As it is, I'm still waiting for the day when something big will happen. Just hope it's after I've left the country (again!).

Originally Posted by captainflack
Aside from the economic side (Dubai is expensive, Turkey and Egypt were at the cheap end), the present international focus on islamic terrorism is unlikely to do anything to help Dubai with either Russians or Europeans in general. I have plenty of friends who comment "I bet you're glad you're not out there now". Rightly or wrongly, there is a perception that the middle east is more dangerous than it's been for a long time and that even flying over it is a risk.

Today in the news there are claims that the UAE is trying 41 people for a terrorist plot a year ago. While it's hard to really know if it's what the UAE says it is (let's face it, dictators hang on to power by banging up all political opposition on trumped up charges, so this is exactly what you'd expect if 41 civil rights campaigners signed a letter to the president calling for universal suffrage), it's not going to help the perception that the UAE is somehow immune to this kind of thing.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 10:35 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

It's currently suffering from a lack of Russians following the devaluation of the rouble. Why do you think Atlantis keeps spamming everyone with offers?
Old Dec 9th 2015, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
It's currently suffering from a lack of Russians following the devaluation of the rouble. Why do you think Atlantis keeps spamming everyone with offers?
This is also why retail is struggling.

A lot of retail was driven by Russians and Chinks buying stuff here that is either not available or not more expensive than at home. They are no longer coming, or if they do, are no longer buying.

Personal lending is also very down - i.e. houses and cars.

What sectors are up?
Old Dec 9th 2015, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
What sectors are up?
Defence and national security, but even that now takes it's time to get pushed through with a lot more checks and approvals being needed now.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 11:00 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Why do you think Atlantis keeps spamming everyone with offers?
Makes sense, I did wonder at the sudden onslaught of óffers'.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mikewot
Makes sense, I did wonder at the sudden onslaught of óffers'.
Snap. Good point Meow.

I'm convinced Iran is the future.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 7:12 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

I'm convinced Iran is the future.
That'll require a revolution, of one sort or another.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 7:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That'll require a revolution, of one sort or another.
Audi opened up over there and apparently cannot get new cars there quickly enough to keep up with demand.

Big retail groups here are looking at opening malls etc over there.

It's boom time.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 7:39 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

How have you survived since?
Old Dec 10th 2015, 9:11 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

It's boom time.
As long as it all doesn't go BOOM!!
Old Dec 13th 2015, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
This is also why retail is struggling. A lot of retail was driven by Russians and Chinks buying stuff here that is either not available or not more expensive than at home. They are no longer coming, or if they do, are no longer buying. Personal lending is also very down - i.e. houses and cars. What sectors are up?
When retail/cars/hotels/restaurants are not doing well, they tend to either lower prices or at the very least, not increase them, as in 08/09.
Why is it that so many things are going more and more expensive?
Was in Dubai mall to exchange an item made in Italy, prices were up 20% over last month. The manager had the gall to say it was because of the "weak dollar", lol !
Old Dec 13th 2015, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Maxima
When retail/cars/hotels/restaurants are not doing well, they tend to either lower prices or at the very least, not increase them, as in 08/09.
Why is it that so many things are going more and more expensive?
Was in Dubai mall to exchange an item made in Italy, prices were up 20% over last month. The manager had the gall to say it was because of the "weak dollar", lol !
Welcome to UAE economics, where when volumes are down, prices go up. I've never understood it.

Dubai is adding almost 35% more hotel rooms over the next 10 months. Awesome stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.