I've nothing to do
9.80%
I've already dumped the 4x4 at the airport
1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

How is business?

Old Feb 3rd 2016, 7:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: How is business?

Originally Posted by Brains1983
currently trading at 328, so that'll bring your average down a bit more . I reckon most people holding O+G shares would be aswell to hold them for a couple of years until the industry picks up. But I know nothing.
I set an auto buy for when markets opened. I got at 336. Naive because knew they'd jump then drop immediately but didn't want to have to sit waiting and trying to get live price feeds (although Google's is good).

Happy, it's brought the average down to 375 which is what I wanted. That's the peak in the last month so hoping we're in a dip with the oil fear, bad results and pay off that has been given.

We'll see.

If it drops further and I can get the average down more I might be tempted but having just stuck money in I want to sit and wait.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

currently trading at 328, so that'll bring your average down a bit more . I reckon most people holding O+G shares would be aswell to hold them for a couple of years until the industry picks up. But I know nothing.
Originally Posted by Scamp
I set an auto buy for when markets opened. I got at 336. Naive because knew they'd jump then drop immediately but didn't want to have to sit waiting and trying to get live price feeds (although Google's is good).

Happy, it's brought the average down to 375 which is what I wanted. That's the peak in the last month so hoping we're in a dip with the oil fear, bad results and pay off that has been given.

We'll see.

If it drops further and I can get the average down more I might be tempted but having just stuck money in I want to sit and wait.
I had a little google afterwards out of curiosity and from what I can gather the oil spill thing is pretty much settled now, so they don't have that exodus of cash.

There's a mixed bag of opinions on whether to buy hold or sell though.

https://finance.yahoo.com/q/ao?s=BP

Questor share tip: Sell BP shares as oil price heads lower - Telegraph

BP plc, AFC Energy plc And BowLeven PLC: Buy, Sell Or Hold? | The Motley Fool UK

I find some of the articles on the motely fool interesting, but can't help but think there is a bit of an agenda they way they promote certain stocks and the click bait pish on the bottom/sides.

Which platform are you using to buy the shares?
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 8:28 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

That has the potential to turn into "good money chasing bad".

My feeling is that the big oil cos will be ok with oil at $60...

I've got Shell shares, and I'm just sitting tight: I'd bought them for dividends, so no particularly concerned about the underlying price (except to the extent that it deflates the value of any divi). Although the price still hurts - I bought in April last year.

One article yesterday doubted Shell's plan to pay 8.6% divi (based on its current price of 1,500) in 2016, and Motley Fool said just before Xmas that it thought it was 50:50 whether it would actually happen. They had similar sentiments for BP.

Caveat: I know nothing.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Coming in late to this party.

Current employer is shedding staff. Just heard this morning another shed load to go, and a lot of them are locals. Main client is one of the Ministries, so all "hold/freeze/prolong" on a lot of the projects. Budget cuts, recruitment freeze, no training budget, and reduction in manpower.

My contract is up in September. Just putting finishing touches to my updated CV as we speak.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of business in general.

BP Shares. I hold a few, but at a cost average of 398. They closed last night at 335. I'm pretty sure these are only going to stay low before going up long term (few years).

Anyone got any opinion on BP at all? I'm about to stick a bit more cash in to bring my average down to 371.
wait 'till they cut the dividend. Only a matter of time.

Why buy stocks when you can short them? Anyway, it's all a function of hold periods - they will do OK over the long-term but BP at 400 will take some time to recover.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 8:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I had a little google afterwards out of curiosity and from what I can gather the oil spill thing is pretty much settled now, so they don't have that exodus of cash.

There's a mixed bag of opinions on whether to buy hold or sell though.

https://finance.yahoo.com/q/ao?s=BP

Questor share tip: Sell BP shares as oil price heads lower - Telegraph

BP plc, AFC Energy plc And BowLeven PLC: Buy, Sell Or Hold? | The Motley Fool UK

I find some of the articles on the motely fool interesting, but can't help but think there is a bit of an agenda they way they promote certain stocks and the click bait pish on the bottom/sides.

Which platform are you using to buy the shares?
I look at Motley Fool too but seems to 'salesy' for me. Always asking you to pay for tips.

Lots of the broker ratings say buy, hold or overweighted. Not many say sell.

Always got to consider personal position, I bought when the oil spill decimated the price and until end of 2015 were profitable, even with the tumbling oil price. It's the only share in my portfolio that's losing money. The rest are banks that I bought with my Dad in 2008/9 and are currently, on average at 92% profit.

I use Lloyds, set up years ago and doesn't cost too much.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That has the potential to turn into "good money chasing bad".

My feeling is that the big oil cos will be ok with oil at $60...

I've got Shell shares, and I'm just sitting tight: I'd bought them for dividends, so no particularly concerned about the underlying price (except to the extent that it deflates the value of any divi). Although the price still hurts - I bought in April last year.

One article yesterday doubted Shell's plan to pay 8.6% divi (based on its current price of 1,500) in 2016, and Motley Fool said just before Xmas that it thought it was 50:50 whether it would actually happen. They had similar sentiments for BP.

Caveat: I know nothing.
Agreed, my main aim is to have these shares for another 18 or 30ish months. Then I'll be looking to cash them out because at that point I'll want the money towards house deposit stuff I think.

That being said, I'm not playing with colossal sums as others will be. I've got about 9,000 quids worth of shares. When things progress and get profitable, I'm tempted to sell.

Problem is, x,000 in a savings account earning, well, negative interest because of inflation vs interest rate or in shares in 'safe' bets like Vodafone or Lloyds or another 'institution' seems more sensible to me.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
wait 'till they cut the dividend. Only a matter of time.

Why buy stocks when you can short them? Anyway, it's all a function of hold periods - they will do OK over the long-term but BP at 400 will take some time to recover.
I don't know how to do that or even if Lloyds trading platform will let me.

BP will get back to a strong position. If the next two sets of results are stronger with cost cutting dealt effectively and no more oil spill payments I think they'll be seen as an attractive buy.

We'll see. Appreciate the input.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You are right to be bullish long term on oil. The great thing about low oil prices is that all research into renewables and alternatives gets canned thus paving the way for increased long term dependence on the black stuff - and once you build a fossil fuel power station to have to run it for the next 30 years.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 9:47 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Why buy stocks when you can short them?
Where can I find the best idiot's guide to doing this? Or can I pay you to write one?
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 10:55 am
Account Closed

You are right to be bullish long term on oil. The great thing about low oil prices is that all research into renewables and alternatives gets canned thus paving the way for increased long term dependence on the black stuff - and once you build a fossil fuel power station to have to run it for the next 30 years.
I agree. The bank shares have been great too though. I used to have a fair few in construction but that was because it was a sector I was involved in, knew about and would understand where projects might go to boost a plc's bottom line. If that makes sense.

Where can I find the best idiot's guide to doing this? Or can I pay you to write one?
I understand the theory of it, but wouldn't know how to execute it or execute it successfully.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just use a CFD broker. Gamble carefully
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling oil is in for a long slump. We've gotten used to wild swings over a short period but there have been times when oil was very cheap for a decade or longer. The 1990s into the early 2000s is a perfect example.

Boom days may be over for the Gulf. An utterly remarkable period of growth and sheer affluence (tax free and subsidized) can't be sustained forever. They may have to adjust to a new reality. They won't be poor but the days of a typical Emirati family with four luxury vehicles may be coming to an end.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Feb 3rd 2016 at 1:52 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Atkins laying off 100 people.

Exclusive: Project consultancy Atkins lays-off 100 people in Middle East | Gulf Business

I remember back in '09 when Atkins started the year by laying off 200 people.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 8:51 am
Account Closed

Anyone any thoughts on HSBC? Seems cheap at the moment, lots of broker ratings putting at hold or buy.

Lots of reading suggests something in the mid 500's is about right for them.

Problem is if oil slump continues and demand for commodities stays low then it longer term hurts the banks?
Old Feb 4th 2016, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Atkins laying off 100 people.

Exclusive: Project consultancy Atkins lays-off 100 people in Middle East | Gulf Business

I remember back in '09 when Atkins started the year by laying off 200 people.
Usually the canary in the mine when design consultancies start the layoffs.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is if oil slump continues and demand for commodities stays low then it longer term hurts the banks?
maybe start a thread on investing during a downturn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.