British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   How To Avoid Going Broke (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/how-avoid-going-broke-791335/)

mentalist Mar 21st 2013 11:40 am

How To Avoid Going Broke

A reasonably sensible article about the monetary aspects of expat life for those about to come to Dubai or have just arrived here.

http://gulfnews.com/about-gulf-news/...roke-1.1136919

nonthaburi Mar 21st 2013 7:43 pm

Re: How To Avoid Going Broke

I like the last bit about Saver's Remorse !

The Dean Mar 22nd 2013 5:43 am

Golden Rule: imagine you are still in the UK, and save/invest what you would otherwise have given to the taxman......... do not come out here expecting to be better off now - expect to be better off in the future..........

Boomhauer Mar 22nd 2013 6:07 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10617877)
Golden Rule: imagine you are still in the UK, and save/invest what you would otherwise have given to the taxman......... do not come out here expecting to be better off now - expect to be better off in the future..........

Whats the fun in that, yer only young for a short time:p

The Dean Mar 22nd 2013 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10617889)
Whats the fun in that, yer only young for a short time:p

You must be the "Richard" mentioned in that article............

kittycat1 Mar 22nd 2013 7:03 am

Surely it all comes down to living within your means, it isn't rocket science! It's not like western people are living on the breadline here, if you have got in debt it's because you've been greedy and stupid. Can I afford it- yes or no? Personally I will never have a credit card for anything other than online payments which gets paid in full each month. To come here and get in debt - well more fool them.

UKCityGent Mar 22nd 2013 7:55 am

In my opinion, this article seems is promoting the services of the FA industry, especially as using "Richard" and "Dev" 2 extreme examples. Anybody who goes into debt voluntarily will be a plank either in the Middle East, UK or Timbuktu !

dubaiguy2011 Mar 22nd 2013 8:27 am

The article reads like it was written by a 4yr old child.

mentalist Mar 23rd 2013 7:36 am

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011 (Post 10617972)
The article reads like it was written by a 4yr old child.

What a poncey, arrogant comment. Who do you think you are? It obviously means that most Dubai expats here are 4 yr olds because one helluva lot eventually go back home empty handed.:frown:

weasel decentral Mar 23rd 2013 8:02 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10619571)
What a poncey, arrogant comment. Who do you think you are? It obviously means that most Dubai expats here are 4 yr olds because one helluva lot eventually go back home empty handed.:frown:

Written by a four year old, not lived as a four year old or as it seems in your case the reading and comprehension level of a four year old.

seven seas Mar 23rd 2013 10:33 am

It wasn't me.

The Dean Mar 23rd 2013 2:06 pm

Wrong again, Mentalman - he was talking about the writing style of the article (how/why do you get everything so consistently wrong?)

I have no sympathy for Richard:

The 42-year-old has no children, but has racked up a combined debt of Dh210,000 on five credit cards, and has a Dh90,000 car loan. His rent, food and bills take up most of his Dh24,000 paycheque, with nothing left at the end of the month.

If I was earning only 24,000, I'd be on the next plane home...........

dubaiguy2011 Mar 23rd 2013 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10619884)
Wrong again, Mentalman - he was talking about the writing style of the article (how/why do you get everything so consistently wrong?)

I have no sympathy for Richard:

The 42-year-old has no children, but has racked up a combined debt of Dh210,000 on five credit cards, and has a Dh90,000 car loan. His rent, food and bills take up most of his Dh24,000 paycheque, with nothing left at the end of the month.

If I was earning only 24,000, I'd be on the next plane home...........

:amen:

scot47 Mar 23rd 2013 2:41 pm

I remember that old joke that went the rounds in colonial hangouts, "I came here with absolutely nothing and I still have most of that."

dubaiguy2011 Mar 23rd 2013 2:46 pm

If Dubai expats can't work out that you need to spend less than you earn, then I fail to see how they're not 4yrs old (or at least behaving like one)?