housing allowance/loan

Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Banditgolfer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default housing allowance/loan

Hi everyone
I arrive in AD on monday and i'm a bit worried, i originally got told that the company i would be working for paid my housing allowance up front, but now it seems they expect me to get a loan there and they pay me monthly.
I think my package is a good one: 24,000 salary a month and 16,000 H/A a month and a car/4x4 included.
Is it easy to get loans there and how long would it take? do any accomodations let you pay monthly?
The company is based in AD but i'm not sure if i will be there or dubai, as they have projects there as well.
I would be extremely grateful for any advice, thanks
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:02 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: housing allowance/loan

I am confused? you say in that post that you get 16,000 a month housing. Is what your saying is they will not give you 6 months in advance? Lending is getting tricky these days and I had heard that the banks were refusing loans to anyone in construction
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:02 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Banditgolfer
Hi everyone
I arrive in AD on monday and i'm a bit worried, i originally got told that the company i would be working for paid my housing allowance up front, but now it seems they expect me to get a loan there and they pay me monthly.
I think my package is a good one: 24,000 salary a month and 16,000 H/A a month and a car/4x4 included.
Is it easy to get loans there and how long would it take? do any accomodations let you pay monthly?
The company is based in AD but i'm not sure if i will be there or dubai, as they have projects there as well.
I would be extremely grateful for any advice, thanks
it will take you a few weeks to get a loan and open a bank account, god knows I've just done it myself, you'll also need a ton of stuff, you passport photocopy, your residency visa copy, bloody passport photos and letters from HR at work, salary transfer letter etc,

so what I'm asking is are they putting you up in accommodation for a few months? because once you finally find somewhere you like, which will take weeks or longer you'll then need moHR stuff and documentation,

we had 2 months accom for us when we got here and that was just enough.

Almost all landlords want one cheque upfront, so you'll need the loan.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I am confused? you say in that post that you get 16,000 a month housing. Is what your saying is they will not give you 6 months in advance? Lending is getting tricky these days and I had heard that the banks were refusing loans to anyone in construction
Hi bluecat,
yeah, because everything has been done through an agency i've not had direct contact with the company itself, but the agency told me yesterday that apparantly they now expect us to get a loan. i get put in a hotel at their expense for the 1st week, then i stay at the hotel paying out of my housing allowance for however long i need i suppose. (no definitive answer)
I'm hoping to get in touch with a guy who went out 2 wks ago working for the same company to see how he's getting on, but it all scares me now as things seem to change at the last minute.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:27 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi bluecat,
yeah, because everything has been done through an agency i've not had direct contact with the company itself, but the agency told me yesterday that apparantly they now expect us to get a loan. i get put in a hotel at their expense for the 1st week, then i stay at the hotel paying out of my housing allowance for however long i need i suppose. (no definitive answer)
I'm hoping to get in touch with a guy who went out 2 wks ago working for the same company to see how he's getting on, but it all scares me now as things seem to change at the last minute.
yeah it don't sound good does it? and I am all against people coming here and taking on huge loans. Would you be going to the bank at home and borrowing 160,000 dhs after working for a company a week!!! don't think so!!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:28 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to be a breaker of bad news

but in AD it is easy to find accommodation around the 450,000K plus.

Anything else is a nightmare. And if you are lucky enough to find a place in budget, they will require the deposit and payment immediately or you will lose it.

sorry, but your company are not treating you very well on this issue. Unless of course they are willing to put you in a hotel until you have someplace

Id wager your 4x4/car was positive spin by them also, prepare for a Lancer or equiv.

Hope im wrong.

good luck
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Oh man!!!
are the hotels reasonable (i know im gonna get a barage of abuse) but what i mean is, for a comfortable hotel are they expensive as rent or would i be able to save money each month? i know its difficult(how long is a piece of string and all that!!) but roughly
commander, is a lancer that bad? also, again coming from the agency the guys who have already gone there are saying the company itself seems good to work for. its horrible siiting at a computer not knowing what to believe, and think i have to try it or regret it. WHO KNOWS!!!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:50 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Oh man!!!
are the hotels reasonable (i know im gonna get a barage of abuse) but what i mean is, for a comfortable hotel are they expensive as rent or would i be able to save money each month? i know its difficult(how long is a piece of string and all that!!) but roughly
commander, is a lancer that bad? also, again coming from the agency the guys who have already gone there are saying the company itself seems good to work for. its horrible siiting at a computer not knowing what to believe, and think i have to try it or regret it. WHO KNOWS!!!
here in lies the rub. Most of the hotels are fully booked in Abu Dhabi at this time of year..

In fact there is lot of talk about the credit crunch etc. I went to AD Mall last night with the family. We decided to go into the Beach Rotana next door and on a Monday night, we could not get a table in any of the restaurants until after 2230. They were packed. On a Monday night FFS

Lancers are not bad at all, they are pretty good. My point being that dont be upset if your 4x4 doesnt materialise..

Go for it....NO REGRETS..
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by commander
here in lies the rub. Most of the hotels are fully booked in Abu Dhabi at this time of year..

In fact there is lot of talk about the credit crunch etc. I went to AD Mall last night with the family. We decided to go into the Beach Rotana next door and on a Monday night, we could not get a table in any of the restaurants until after 2230. They were packed. On a Monday night FFS

Lancers are not bad at all, they are pretty good. My point being that dont be upset if your 4x4 doesnt materialise..

Go for it....NO REGRETS..
Thanks commander
amidst the worry, unknown and nervousness, i think im abit excited!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:19 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

You can't sign a Lease until you have your Residence Visa, which you will also need to open a Bank Account.

You may get a months accomodation in aparthotels for @ 16kdhs.
Availibilty is a problem.Google Platinum Apartments+AD.
If your mate is out alone, cannot you bunk up with him for a while?
(on the q.t before I get the Doom of Delphi coming down on me!!!)
You would stand a better chance of getting something decent if you are able to put in the research and groundwork yourself.
Might be slight movement given the lay offs, break(for Xmas) in Academic year, etc Good luck.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:26 pm
banned

Originally Posted by Eva
If your mate is out alone, cannot you bunk up with him for a while?
that is illegal. Do not even consider it, They will mash your testicles in a blender.

Honestly, BB2 told me so and she knows everything there is to know about everything..
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by commander
that is illegal. Do not even consider it, They will mash your testicles in a blender.

Honestly, BB2 told me so and she knows everything there is to know about everything..
i defo aint doing that, i like my testicles thanks
and to think, i was gonna say thanks for the advice eva. wot have i ever done to you for you to want my balls in a blender
by the way how long does a residence visa take?
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:10 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

and to think, i was gonna say thanks for the advice eva. wot have i ever done to you for you to want my balls in a blender
Oh Commander is just recalling a personal experience I think.

Oi Popeye...did I say anything about money changing hands ergo 'possibly possibly' subletting????

Discretion is the better part of valour

To the letter of the law, subletting is illegal; so is co- habiting,keeping alcohol at home w.o a license,
do you think no one does these things?
Sometimes the 'Ways and Means Act' has to kick in.......
I prefer bananas in my blender thanks.Smooth.

Residence visas....no set timeline I'm afraid....your entry visa could expire before that piece of paper materialises.
Check with your mate,maybe your Co got a good PRO- that's an HR person.Good luck.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I like your testicles too, Bandit.............
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Dean
I like your testicles too, Bandit.............
The big D
should i be worried