Housemaid

Old Jan 9th 2019, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all
Default Re: Housemaid

I just got one. I can honestly say that I haven’t touched a cleaning utensil, folded a single item of laundry, taken the bin out or done anything else around the house since she started. It really gets the wife off your back, I’d highly recommend it.

The only ball ache is finding one and sorting the visa out, it took me 9 visits to various offices to sort out the visa.

We have live out so she’s not here in the evening which is good.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
No. Most families justify maids because they don't have Granny and Grandad to babysit when they want to go out and get battered at weekends.
My boss has one, living in, and only recently his wife started working again. He was under the illusion that she was looking after the kids at home whilst the maid cleaned. I roared with laughter because he actually believe it.

We regularly get a cleaner in, but we don't have kids...yet.
When we do, we'll think about it. I wouldn't want a live in maid I don't think but the thought of someone coming daily to make me eggs, clean up after us and call me ma'am-sir is just thrilling.
When we got out maid the first time, wife wasn't working and we had a six-month old in a new country and I was travelling heavily. We decided that it would be better to have some security back up in case anything happened. Over time she just became part of the furniture and with the wife working and kid in school wasn't really needed but she did keep the place clean.

I don't mind them living in and I still walk around in boxers if I want to - it's my house.

Maid 2 will be used more extensively as my wife will be returning to work quickly and there is a 3 hour window in the day when neither of us are at home.

Last edited by Millhouse; Jan 9th 2019 at 5:26 am.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 5:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
When we got out maid the first time, wife wasn't working and we had a six-month old in a new country and I was travelling heavily. We decided that it would be better to have some security back up in case anything happened. Over time she just became part of the furniture and with the wife working and kid in school wasn't really needed but she did keep the place clean.

I don't mind them living in and I still walk around in boxers if I want to - it's my house.

Maid 2 will be used more extensively as my wife will be returning to work quickly and there is a 3 hour window in the day when neither of us are at home.
To be honest, I think you deserve a couple of maids.

The maternity leave here is shameful and means that you basically have no choice.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

The maternity leave here is shameful and means that you basically have no choice.
It is shameful - I actually get more than my wife does - not that she knows that lol
Old Jan 10th 2019, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

You do , don't have any kids plus you'll not need the maid and then you can have real grass in the villa because you'll be able to afford the DEWA .

This thread is great man
Old Jan 10th 2019, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Do any expats in the ME do their own housework and (the horror) get their own bloody slippers?
I have done since the ex moved out about a year and a half ago. She used to 'work' from home and so kept the apartment clean and tidy, did the washing etc. Since she returned to the UK I have been doing it..... possibly not quite to the same standard, but to an acceptable level none the less and if I'm honest I don't mind cleaning, its just finding the time available to do it which is the problem. That said, the new (ish) Mrs isn't so convinced about my apartment management skills and so I am instructed to get a maid or two in once a week to batter the apartment for a few hours. As much as its good to not have to do it myself it is a ball ache having to be there and move around while they do it.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

what's the process and costs for this nowadays anyway, still 2k AED deposit, plus salary, plus medical, plus visa costs, plus emirates ID?
Old Jan 10th 2019, 5:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by co durham boy
You do , don't have any kids plus you'll not need the maid and then you can have real grass in the villa because you'll be able to afford the DEWA .

This thread is great man
We have many discussions about the positives of not having kids, because apart from having to get a maid and therefore high DEWA bills, they ruin your life as whole.

Originally Posted by jam25mack
it is a ball ache having to be there and move around while they do it.
**** that, I just lock them in and go out.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Do any expats in the ME do their own housework and (the horror) get their own bloody slippers?
Plenty don't have maids or cleaners. And there's the weird ones who have some self-inflicted moral problem about hiring cleaners even though they have no issues staying in hotels or going out to restaurants where they are waited upon all the time,

It really is very nice not having to do any cleaning or ironing and a place that is always immaculately clean. I've already earmarked a budget for a cleaner when I settle in my new place in the UK. It won't be that different from the UAE because all the Polish girls from a decade ago have been replaced with Filipinas now.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Plenty don't have maids or cleaners. And there's the weird ones who have some self-inflicted moral problem about hiring cleaners even though they have no issues staying in hotels or going out to restaurants where they are waited upon all the time,

It really is very nice not having to do any cleaning or ironing and a place that is always immaculately clean. I've already earmarked a budget for a cleaner when I settle in my new place in the UK. It won't be that different from the UAE because all the Polish girls from a decade ago have been replaced with Filipinas now.
Quite right - I didn't move 3000 miles from home to mop floors.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Quite right - I didn't move 3000 miles from home to mop floors.
Ours has got the colour specific sock drawer right and can even wax a Brogue and remove a shoe tree correctly , it's the small things .
Old Jan 10th 2019, 7:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Ours has got the colour specific sock drawer right and can even wax a Brogue and remove a shoe tree correctly , it's the small things .
I must say, the last time a maid folded washing, she took the time to make sure that she paired them perfectly. Logos facing out.

Sometimes when the mrs does it I get two rights or two lefts and you're left wondering what you did so wrong?
Old Jan 13th 2019, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

pupdawg82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brains1983
what's the process and costs for this nowadays anyway, still 2k AED deposit, plus salary, plus medical, plus visa costs, plus emirates ID?
Yes. I am in the middle of sponsoring one.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think I've found one. Great responses via a facebook ad (and a helpful poster here). We've done three interviews so far:
1. 37 Y/O - 4 kids - Came with a translator and food in her teeth. Instant no
2. 34 Y/O - 1 kid - Made it independently to Meydan, didn't flinch when the dog licked her toes. Can bake cakes. Seems to be able to speak english OK but not understand a word I actually said. Currently abused by an arabic household who only give her 5hrs off a month and shout at her a lot.
3. 27 Y/O - 1 kid - , very easy on the eye and confident. Perfect English. Can cook, loves dogs and kids.

We are probably going with two as she will be grateful. While I liked three the most, she was just too bright to be a housemaid - I'll try and help her find a better job. She would also be a temptress.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 3:31 am
Account Closed

I think I've found one. Great responses via a facebook ad (and a helpful poster here). We've done three interviews so far:
1. 37 Y/O - 4 kids - Came with a translator and food in her teeth. Instant no
2. 34 Y/O - 1 kid - Made it independently to Meydan, didn't flinch when the dog licked her toes. Can bake cakes. Seems to be able to speak english OK but not understand a word I actually said. Currently abused by an arabic household who only give her 5hrs off a month and shout at her a lot.
3. 27 Y/O - 1 kid - , very easy on the eye and confident. Perfect English. Can cook, loves dogs and kids.

We are probably going with two as she will be grateful. While I liked three the most, she was just too bright to be a housemaid - I'll try and help her find a better job. She would also be a temptress.
2 definitely sounds the best.

The maid is in now, fortunately from my desk in the next tower I can see her mopping the balcony. Unfortunately for her, the bag of unwanted Christmas presents the Mrs got from kiddies at school (and probably my family) is in a location I can't fathom so she doesn't get that brucey bonus today.