British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Hospital fears for abused maid’s life (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/hospital-fears-abused-maid%E2%80%99s-life-657045/)

DesertOcean Feb 28th 2010 6:13 am

Hospital fears for abused maid’s life

How awful for this poor maid. It seems not a week goes by that you don't read about a domestic helper being abused by their sponser. Everytime I read stuff like this I want to slap half of them upside the head:curse:

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article23575.ece

Millhouse Feb 28th 2010 6:26 am

Re: Hospital fears for abused maid’s life

Originally Posted by DesertOcean (Post 8380943)
How awful for this poor maid. It seems not a week goes by that you don't read about a domestic helper being abused by their sponser. Everytime I read stuff like this I want to slap half of them upside the head:curse:

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article23575.ece

it does piss you off when the tea tastes funny though.

lionheart Feb 28th 2010 7:09 am

This represents the tip of the iceberg as there are probably hundreds of maids in KSA being abused.:(

coffindodger Feb 28th 2010 7:36 am

Not just here in the costa del saudi sand pit.!!!
I hate to think how many else where in the GCC.

spart Feb 28th 2010 3:58 pm

The Philipines government is proposing banning domestic servants coming to the Gulf. Wonder why?

Madam Medusa Feb 28th 2010 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by spart (Post 8381983)
The Philipines government is proposing banning domestic servants coming to the Gulf. Wonder why?

well yeah, suppose that is a good thing, but where will they go, there's sod all work in the phillipines which is why they all move abroad...those in hong kong/china aren't treated any better by the chinese than the arabs...

MM, xx

spart Feb 28th 2010 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8381994)
well yeah, suppose that is a good thing, but where will they go, there's sod all work in the phillipines which is why they all move abroad...those in hong kong/china aren't treated any better by the chinese than the arabs...

MM, xx

True, it is a double edged sword. The money brought in by remittances means a lot, but the cost to families of having an absent mother is huge.

seven seas Feb 28th 2010 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by DesertOcean (Post 8380943)
Everytime I read stuff like this I want to slap half of them upside the head:curse:

Only half?

DesertOcean Feb 28th 2010 6:54 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Well, Tenpin was never my game, so 5 out of 10 is not bad...but in all fairness, I'm sure many arabs do treat their domestics with respect.

Millhouse Feb 28th 2010 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by spart (Post 8381983)

That will never happen in our lifetimes. If it does it will be a paper change only... they will come here thinking they are private teachers / nurses before being told they are a housemaid.

I know of several maids who came here thinking that they would be teachers/nurses only to find out that they are not.

shakh your bootie Feb 28th 2010 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8382370)
That will never happen in our lifetimes. If it does it will be a paper change only... they will come here thinking they are private teachers / nurses before being told they are a housemaid.

I know of several maids who came here thinking that they would be teachers/nurses only to find out that they are not.

I met attractive and intelligent former USSR chics with quals and experience in anything from med science to nuclear engineering to concert pianism. Cant judge the latter but the few scientific types I spoke to weren't lying none . Crying shame that they got nothing but to sell their charms at 1000 AED a night. Less, if you can drive a bargain.

We in the west are spoiled beyond our knowledge.

seven seas Mar 1st 2010 2:59 am

Originally Posted by DesertOcean (Post 8382333)
Well, Tenpin was never my game, so 5 out of 10 is not bad...but in all fairness, I'm sure many arabs do treat their domestics with respect.

For sure.

Bonny Boy Mar 1st 2010 8:26 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 8382417)
I met attractive and intelligent former USSR chics with quals and experience in anything from med science to nuclear engineering to concert pianism. Cant judge the latter but the few scientific types I spoke to weren't lying none . Crying shame that they got nothing but to sell their charms at 1000 AED a night. Less, if you can drive a bargain.

We in the west are spoiled beyond our knowledge.

Indeed.

And ditto the Chinese and African girls - it's all for want of opportunity back home.

Saw an Al-Jazeera investigative programme about recruiting maids in Sri Lanka. The recruiters check out male deaths and hospital admissions to find the vulnerable families and then do the hard sell.

seven seas Mar 3rd 2010 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy (Post 8383646)
The recruiters check out male deaths and hospital admissions to find the vulnerable families and then do the hard sell.

They give vultures a bad name eh?
I know a Sri Lankan who went back 4 years ago after working his ass off. I asked him why he was going, and he said his dairy farm was ready, all he had to do was to orgainse the cows and the labour, and he woudl start his new business!!

Enough to buy 200 cows, and he's build a place for who knows how many family members on it too. It's that 1 in a 1,000,000 lottery thing that drives all the others to dream, and hope that maybe they will get there.

Bonny Boy Mar 4th 2010 4:44 am

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 8390585)
They give vultures a bad name eh?
I know a Sri Lankan who went back 4 years ago after working his ass off. I asked him why he was going, and he said his dairy farm was ready, all he had to do was to orgainse the cows and the labour, and he woudl start his new business!!

Enough to buy 200 cows, and he's build a place for who knows how many family members on it too. It's that 1 in a 1,000,000 lottery thing that drives all the others to dream, and hope that maybe they will get there.

Yes, but then he wasn't a maid.

I'm more relaxed re the construction and service people working in the Mid-East - as you say, they can set themselves up well provided their agents and employers don't rip them off.

However, this thread is discussing maids, and they are particularly vulnerable to abuse. It's a lonely existence, with non of the camaraderie of working in a team.

BTW: I wonder if Indian TV has a sit-com called 'Ma'as Salaama Jaanu'?