Reload this Page >

Horse Meat in Processed Foods

Horse Meat in Processed Foods

Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:09 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Horse Meat in Processed Foods

Do you really care? To me, meat is meat is meat, whether it's from Dobbin, Shergar or Lassie.

I feel sorry for the poor cows (see attached pic).

And did you know that Findus Lasagne is an anagram of 'fed us slain nag'...
Attached Thumbnails Horse Meat in Processed Foods-cowsjobs.jpg  
Old Feb 13th 2013, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horse Meat in Processed Foods

Originally Posted by Kix
Do you really care? To me, meat is meat is meat, whether it's from Dobbin, Shergar or Lassie.

I feel sorry for the poor cows (see attached pic).

And did you know that Findus Lasagne is an anagram of 'fed us slain nag'...
The only reason to care is that the average rouge who is passing off Hedgehunter for Daisy is probably not too bothered about following production standards with respect to drugs, age, hygiene etc.

I still don't see how the economics of all this adds up. OK there is a massive price difference between horse meat and beef which gives an incentive to chuck Red Rum into the mincer, but the scale that is being discussed suggests active horse farming.

The costs of producing a horse can't be wildly different to that of a cow (even if you go cheap on drugs etc) and yet the potential income is less (you don't get milk etc. and you have to sell it as 'cheap beef') - so you take most of the costs yet don't have access to all of the income and run the risk of being stuck with a valueless product if you can't sell it as beef. Why do that? Why not just farm cows on the cheap and sneak your crappy illegal beef into the supply chain.

I'm going to guess this is possible due to a market distortion as a result of an EU tax / quota policy.

Last edited by Millhouse; Feb 13th 2013 at 3:23 am.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:27 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see why everybody's nagging about this.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:08 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
The only reason to care is that the average rouge who is passing off Hedgehunter for Daisy is probably not too bothered about following production standards with respect to drugs, age, hygiene etc.

I still don't see how the economics of all this adds up. OK there is a massive price difference between horse meat and beef which gives an incentive to chuck Red Rum into the mincer, but the scale that is being discussed suggests active horse farming.

The costs of producing a horse can't be wildly different to that of a cow (even if you go cheap on drugs etc) and yet the potential income is less (you don't get milk etc. and you have to sell it as 'cheap beef') - so you take most of the costs yet don't have access to all of the income and run the risk of being stuck with a valueless product if you can't sell it as beef. Why do that? Why not just farm cows on the cheap and sneak your crappy illegal beef into the supply chain.

I'm going to guess this is possible due to a market distortion as a result of an EU tax / quota policy.
Or they are slaughtering battered old nags who are destined for the chop anyhow.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Or they are slaughtering battered old nags who are destined for the chop anyhow.
Don't disagree with that. But there simply cannot be the numbers of these old nags.

I can only assume that they are rounding them up en mass somewhere in Central Asia/ Russia
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I don't see why everybody's nagging about this.
Stop horsing around. This is serious.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:32 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I can only assume that they are rounding them up en mass somewhere in Central Asia/ Russia
I'd imagine this is the case, especially if Romanians are involved.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Stop horsing around. This is serious.
The mane thing to focus on here is that this is in neigh way a laughing matter.

Hoof wants to eat horse meat anyway?
Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:21 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
The mane thing to focus on here is that this is in neigh way a laughing matter.

Hoof wants to eat horse meat anyway?
This unbridled punning on every thread has got to be brought to a halt before it gallops away out of control.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
This unbridled punning on every thread has got to be brought to a halt before it gallops away out of control.
To be honest, I think it's amazing, it's foals so good.

Until someone has a 'mare, we should continue.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:33 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Didn't you just love how the Ulster* Farmers Association or whatever it was managed to issue a statement pinning all the blame on the horse-racing industry in the Republic. Is there no pretext too flimsy to attach stupid sectarian grousing to any bandwagon?!

*for those few who may care and are not in the know, the use of the word "Ulster" is always a big tip-off: it is exclusively sectarian in the context of Northern Ireland as 3 of the 9 counties of the historic province of Ulster are actually in the Republic
Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:44 am
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

My Lidl Pony.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:50 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen the title of the Kipp Report's piece about it?

What have you had in your mouth lately?

http://www.kippreport.com/2013/02/wh...-mouth-lately/
Old Feb 13th 2013, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Don't disagree with that. But there simply cannot be the numbers of these old nags.

I read somewhere the other day that they are claiming there are over 70,000 horses missing in Ireland..... FFS, how many horses have they got?
Old Feb 13th 2013, 7:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fossildog
My Lidl Pony.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.