British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Horse Meat in Processed Foods (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/horse-meat-processed-foods-787188/)

Kix Feb 12th 2013 10:09 pm

Horse Meat in Processed Foods

1 Attachment(s)
Do you really care? To me, meat is meat is meat, whether it's from Dobbin, Shergar or Lassie.

I feel sorry for the poor cows (see attached pic).

And did you know that Findus Lasagne is an anagram of 'fed us slain nag'...

Millhouse Feb 13th 2013 3:00 am

Re: Horse Meat in Processed Foods

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10541123)
Do you really care? To me, meat is meat is meat, whether it's from Dobbin, Shergar or Lassie.

I feel sorry for the poor cows (see attached pic).

And did you know that Findus Lasagne is an anagram of 'fed us slain nag'...

The only reason to care is that the average rouge who is passing off Hedgehunter for Daisy is probably not too bothered about following production standards with respect to drugs, age, hygiene etc.

I still don't see how the economics of all this adds up. OK there is a massive price difference between horse meat and beef which gives an incentive to chuck Red Rum into the mincer, but the scale that is being discussed suggests active horse farming.

The costs of producing a horse can't be wildly different to that of a cow (even if you go cheap on drugs etc) and yet the potential income is less (you don't get milk etc. and you have to sell it as 'cheap beef') - so you take most of the costs yet don't have access to all of the income and run the risk of being stuck with a valueless product if you can't sell it as beef. Why do that? Why not just farm cows on the cheap and sneak your crappy illegal beef into the supply chain.

I'm going to guess this is possible due to a market distortion as a result of an EU tax / quota policy.

Bahtatboy Feb 13th 2013 4:27 am

I don't see why everybody's nagging about this.

weasel decentral Feb 13th 2013 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10541452)
The only reason to care is that the average rouge who is passing off Hedgehunter for Daisy is probably not too bothered about following production standards with respect to drugs, age, hygiene etc.

I still don't see how the economics of all this adds up. OK there is a massive price difference between horse meat and beef which gives an incentive to chuck Red Rum into the mincer, but the scale that is being discussed suggests active horse farming.

The costs of producing a horse can't be wildly different to that of a cow (even if you go cheap on drugs etc) and yet the potential income is less (you don't get milk etc. and you have to sell it as 'cheap beef') - so you take most of the costs yet don't have access to all of the income and run the risk of being stuck with a valueless product if you can't sell it as beef. Why do that? Why not just farm cows on the cheap and sneak your crappy illegal beef into the supply chain.

I'm going to guess this is possible due to a market distortion as a result of an EU tax / quota policy.

Or they are slaughtering battered old nags who are destined for the chop anyhow.

Millhouse Feb 13th 2013 5:23 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10541564)
Or they are slaughtering battered old nags who are destined for the chop anyhow.

Don't disagree with that. But there simply cannot be the numbers of these old nags.

I can only assume that they are rounding them up en mass somewhere in Central Asia/ Russia

Millhouse Feb 13th 2013 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10541527)
I don't see why everybody's nagging about this.

Stop horsing around. This is serious.

weasel decentral Feb 13th 2013 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10541576)
I can only assume that they are rounding them up en mass somewhere in Central Asia/ Russia

I'd imagine this is the case, especially if Romanians are involved.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 13th 2013 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10541578)
Stop horsing around. This is serious.

The mane thing to focus on here is that this is in neigh way a laughing matter.

Hoof wants to eat horse meat anyway?

Miss Anne Thrope Feb 13th 2013 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10541607)
The mane thing to focus on here is that this is in neigh way a laughing matter.

Hoof wants to eat horse meat anyway?

This unbridled punning on every thread has got to be brought to a halt before it gallops away out of control.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 13th 2013 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10541650)
This unbridled punning on every thread has got to be brought to a halt before it gallops away out of control.

To be honest, I think it's amazing, it's foals so good.

Until someone has a 'mare, we should continue.

Miss Anne Thrope Feb 13th 2013 6:33 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10541564)

Didn't you just love how the Ulster* Farmers Association or whatever it was managed to issue a statement pinning all the blame on the horse-racing industry in the Republic. Is there no pretext too flimsy to attach stupid sectarian grousing to any bandwagon?!

*for those few who may care and are not in the know, the use of the word "Ulster" is always a big tip-off: it is exclusively sectarian in the context of Northern Ireland as 3 of the 9 counties of the historic province of Ulster are actually in the Republic

Fossildog Feb 13th 2013 6:44 am

My Lidl Pony.

Meow Feb 13th 2013 6:50 am

Have you seen the title of the Kipp Report's piece about it?

What have you had in your mouth lately?

http://www.kippreport.com/2013/02/wh...-mouth-lately/

jam25mack Feb 13th 2013 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10541576)
Don't disagree with that. But there simply cannot be the numbers of these old nags.

I read somewhere the other day that they are claiming there are over 70,000 horses missing in Ireland..... FFS, how many horses have they got?

Bahtatboy Feb 13th 2013 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Fossildog (Post 10541685)
My Lidl Pony.

:rofl::rofl: