honesty in Dubai

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:42 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: honesty in Dubai

I lost my wallet with AED 2200 (which was for the second half of my flat deposit) in August. Had my UK bank card and drivers licence in it too. Luckily, I didn't have my credit cards or most of my other ID cards in there at the time (they were tucked away in the hotel safe).

I remember I got a receipt after the driver offered me one (which I usually didn't do unless it was work related). Two minutes after getting out of the cab, I realised I'd didn't have my wallet. I frantically rang the RTA help line but despite the fact I told him I had the car number and the driver number, the idiot insisted on taking all my details before he'd help me.

I then got angry at him and told him to forget about my details for the moment – and to just take the driver number, and car number, and get a message to him to turn around and get my wallet before another passenger got in the cab and found out it was payday.

The idiot refused and insisted on taking all of my details down. F****** prick. It's his fault I never got it back.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
I lost my wallet with AED 2200 (which was for the second half of my flat deposit) in August. Had my UK bank card and drivers licence in it too. Luckily, I didn't have my credit cards or most of my other ID cards in there at the time (they were tucked away in the hotel safe).

I remember I got a receipt after the driver offered me one (which I usually didn't do unless it was work related). Two minutes after getting out of the cab, I realised I'd didn't have my wallet. I frantically rang the RTA help line but despite the fact I told him I had the car number and the driver number, the idiot insisted on taking all my details before he'd help me.

I then got angry at him and told him to forget about my details for the moment – and to just take the driver number, and car number, and get a message to him to turn around and get my wallet before another passenger got in the cab and found out it was payday.

The idiot refused and insisted on taking all of my details down. F****** prick. It's his fault I never got it back.
I think that was simply your first lesson in never getting angry with anyone in this region - it never works, especially if they are on the other end of the phone
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:21 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Officials over here and especially in KSA love to wind-up Westerners so they lose their temper. Its a national pastime.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:59 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Would it have been a taxi driver, perhaps? I cannot imagine too many people even here finding a full wallet on the pavement and handing it in.
nope not a cab driver, it fell on the pavement at about 2pm new years eve and someone gound it and handed it into HSBC.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:00 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Spugsy- is this a sign of early dimensia? Seem to be getting very forgetful! maybe you should try doing the crossword etc- stimulate a few cells that the old Newcastle brown ale have destroyed!
its possible!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:01 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by auzdafluff

yup I went back to Dubai mall where I got the cab where I left my lacoste top, got the number but not the letters beforehand - rang all 5 companies and without the number they told me to bugger off basically - one actually yawned down teh phone as he took my details, I wanted to wring his neck.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:02 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I think that was simply your first lesson in never getting angry with anyone in this region - it never works, especially if they are on the other end of the phone
I know, you're aboslutely right. Also if you ever, ever dea with the police be incredible humble, polite and patient.

Even if they are idiots.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

We once found just over 3k GBP in a plastic bag on the pavement outside someone's house when walking back one night from the post box.

We took it home and there was nothing to identify it - in the end we decided that in the interests of karma, and the fact that only 2 weeks before one of our neighbours stabbed the other, to knock on the door of the house where we found the bag.

We were holding the bag and an Indian lady opened the door... 'oh my gosh, my bag, my bag, you have found it' - we decided that it was probably hers so handed it over. Didn't even get a somosa for our troubles.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I know, you're aboslutely right. Also if you ever, ever dea with the police be incredible humble, polite and patient.

Even if they are idiots.
indeed. I even thanked the kind police man who gave me the pink bit of paper for an accident that clearly wasn't my fault!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
We once found just over 3k GBP in a plastic bag on the pavement outside someone's house when walking back one night from the post box.

We took it home and there was nothing to identify it - in the end we decided that in the interests of karma, and the fact that only 2 weeks before one of our neighbours stabbed the other, to knock on the door of the house where we found the bag.

We were holding the bag and an Indian lady opened the door... 'oh my gosh, my bag, my bag, you have found it' - we decided that it was probably hers so handed it over. Didn't even get a somosa for our troubles.
She hadn't thought to pop outside to have a look?

She played you, my friend............
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:16 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Even if they are idiots.
Arrived at LHR and went through the red channel to declare £10k of currency that I was bringing from Kuwait. There were no forms so I picked up the phone and explained.

25 mins later a young officer arrived and said 'Sorry Mate - lunch'. And I hate being called Mate by an official.

So, not heeding your warning, I said 'It may be better if we call each other Sir - neither of us need to mean it'.

He called his colleagues and and they spent half an hour hasseling me and accusing me of money laundering!!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 4:25 am
Banned

A Free Man is an unknown quantity at this point

It's amazing, certainly wouldn't happen back home.
Lets try to remember that next time a Dubai Bashing thread is started here.

Ok?
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 5:49 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A Free Man

Ok?
meaning what? there are plenty of threads on this site showing both the negative and positive sides to living in Dubai.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Ok?
What does that mean?
Does it invalidate any other negative aspects?

"I got slippered to death by a carpet salesman"

"Yes but you can't say that, because everyone is very careful about washing their hands after going to the toilet..."
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:01 am
why ayeeeee man!

Ok?
bollocks, Dubai is a crazy glitzy city built too fast in the desert with more problems than anywhere i've ever been. Greedy, lazy locals, ever zealous police and yes, idiot drunk westeners. But that doesn't mean it's a great place because there are some honest people here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.