British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   honesty in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/honesty-dubai-698789/)

Spugsy Jan 1st 2011 5:19 pm

honesty in Dubai

So went to teh gym on NYE daytime, somehow on the way to and from teh gym I lostmy wallet - nice one, paul smith leather wallet, credit cards in and loads of other stuff plus AED 1,600 in there. So pretty gutted after the year I've had.

Got a call from HSBC yesterday telling me to ring Jebel Ali Police station (where I was handcuffed to a chair for 17 hours last time I was there).

Anyway someone had handed it in, with all the cards and cash.

that's amazing, certainly wouldn't happen back home.

Canny start to the new year.

haloola Jan 1st 2011 5:36 pm

Re: honesty in Dubai

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9070893)
So went to teh gym on NYE daytime, somehow on the way to and from teh gym I lostmy wallet - nice one, paul smith leather wallet, credit cards in and loads of other stuff plus AED 1,600 in there. So pretty gutted after the year I've had.

Got a call from HSBC yesterday telling me to ring Jebel Ali Police station (where I was handcuffed to a chair for 17 hours last time I was there).

I've mislaid my purse 3 times at home. Once in a shop, once on the back of a toilet in a pub, once in a cab. Each time I've got it back - with the money as well. Granted there was never that much money in it :) but not everyone here is dishonest. I've also returned wallets that I've found, with the money :)

Millhouse Jan 1st 2011 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by haloola (Post 9070909)
I've mislaid my purse 3 times at home. Once in a shop, once on the back of a toilet in a pub, once in a cab. Each time I've got it back - with the money as well. Granted there was never that much money in it :) but not everyone here is dishonest. I've also returned wallets that I've found, with the money :)

snap. 3 mobiles phones and a bag with a banana in returned so far!

haloola Jan 1st 2011 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9070920)

I would have kept the banana :)

Eva Jan 1st 2011 5:45 pm

Agree Spugs, here's hoping the good karma continues well in to the year for you & Mrs S..XXX

Eva Jan 1st 2011 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by haloola (Post 9070923)
I would have kept the banana :)

That would have been the first thing I would have disposed of given Millhouses's profession.

Millhouse Jan 1st 2011 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 9070931)
That would have been the first thing I would have disposed of given Millhouses's profession.

I would be more worried about the plums

Eva Jan 1st 2011 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9070946)
I would be more worried about the plums

I thought those would have been surrendered as a t&c of initial contract,were you hosting a surrogate pair?

Spugsy Jan 1st 2011 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9070920)

I left a brand new lacoste top in a cab before xmas and it never came back. Was pissed off about that.

Spugsy Jan 1st 2011 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 9070928)
Agree Spugs, here's hoping the good karma continues well in to the year for you & Mrs S..XXX

cheers petal x

Blue Cat Jan 2nd 2011 4:26 am

bloody hell! seriously impressed!! maybe this is a sign in karma change!

lionheart Jan 2nd 2011 4:41 am

Would it have been a taxi driver, perhaps? I cannot imagine too many people even here finding a full wallet on the pavement and handing it in.

Norm_uk Jan 2nd 2011 6:23 am

I left my briefcase on the bus in the UK once...got it back with everything inside, including a credit card I just received with a rather large balance.

Honesty and deceit are everywhere...

N.

Madam Medusa Jan 2nd 2011 6:43 am

i agree, the honesty in dubai can be quite refreshing sometimes...when we first moved here i lost a theo fennell diamond earring, wasn't sure where, it was either in emirates towers or mercato...we called both, and got a call back from the italian place in mercato where we'd been for lunch and they'd found it...the waitress could easily have pocketed it and sold it for a lot of money, i was amazed...

monsieur medusa has left shades/phones/blackberries in taxis a few times and they have always been returned...

MM, xx

kittycat1 Jan 2nd 2011 8:05 am

Spugsy- is this a sign of early dimensia? Seem to be getting very forgetful! maybe you should try doing the crossword etc- stimulate a few cells that the old Newcastle brown ale have destroyed! ;)