Homeward bound...

Old Jan 6th 2013, 12:23 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Homeward bound...

So after a relaxing trip back to see my folks over Christmas, I'm now enroute to Dubai.

Normally I'd fly back with Emirates via Manchester, but due to my Dad paying to fly me back as a Christmas surprise gift for my Mum, I flew into Heathrow to keep it as cheap as possible.

So I'm current sat on my first leg (Runcorn to London via Virgin Trains First Class, which I can't complain about too much), then tube to Heathrow and fly direct to Dubai.

While that's the worst I'll have ever done, I know a friend who went back to Ireland and did Saudia from Dubai to Jeddah, Jeddah to London, then took the train/ferry/train.

I know some of you guys and gals are far more seasoned travellers. So what's the worst journey home and back you've had to do?
Old Jan 6th 2013, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

claimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant future
Default Re: Homeward bound...

The A38 traveling North, right pain in the arse.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claimsboys
The A38 traveling North, right pain in the arse.
Booked flights from London to Toronto with Alitalia when I was working down there (was really cheap). Moved back to Aberdeen before I departed and forgot to by the Aberdeen/London portion until the day before which cost me 350quid. Aberdeen to London to Milan to Toronto. Not the most effecient route!
Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:01 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe Flydubai goes into the same airport in Istanbul that Easyjet use from Gatwick or Stanstead making a connection that way at least theoretically possible. I don't know anyone that's ever done it that way though..any body?
Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
So after a relaxing trip back to see my folks over Christmas, I'm now enroute to Dubai.

Normally I'd fly back with Emirates via Manchester, but due to my Dad paying to fly me back as a Christmas surprise gift for my Mum, I flew into Heathrow to keep it as cheap as possible.

So I'm current sat on my first leg (Runcorn to London via Virgin Trains First Class, which I can't complain about too much), then tube to Heathrow and fly direct to Dubai.

While that's the worst I'll have ever done, I know a friend who went back to Ireland and did Saudia from Dubai to Jeddah, Jeddah to London, then took the train/ferry/train.

I know some of you guys and gals are far more seasoned travellers. So what's the worst journey home and back you've had to do?
Didn't the first class train ticket cost as much as the difference between indirect and flying on a decent carrier direct?
Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:34 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Didn't the first class train ticket cost as much as the difference between indirect and flying on a decent carrier direct?
Nope. My Dad picked me up from Heathrow and spent £30 on fuel, and the train fare was £43 (£4 more than standard for the same journey).

The cheapest one to Manchester (even indirect) was another £180 than going to Heathrow direct.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:37 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I once had to fly economy.

The horror still haunts me.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I once had to fly economy.
The horror still haunts me.
I hope you are joking. Otherwise, you would make me feel ashamed to be British. Flying business or first class is a complete and unadulterated rip-off.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 2:37 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mentalist
I hope you are joking. Otherwise, you would make me feel ashamed to be British. Flying business or first class is a complete and unadulterated rip-off.
Completely agree.

I don't mind getting a free upgrade (who doesn't), but I won't waste my Company's Money (and my budget), on paying 3x the price for a bit extra leg room.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 3:36 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Just after Xmas my wife landed at Dubai T3, the new Emirates terminal, at 12:30am. She eventually came through the gate at 02:50am.

2 hours wait to get through passport control.

Welcome to the 21st century.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone knows my volcano/Qatar story- as I drone on and on about it

Flying back to Uk for a friends wedding with Qatar airlines, When I left Dxb emirates had cancelled their flights but noone knew why really- something about a volcano, I checked in and was told flights were still ok, landed in Doha to change flights for blighty and the cancelled flights started to come through, 8 hours later and we're told flights are cancelled but as we are in transit teh airline would put us up. Told it should be ok to fly the next day.....6 days stuck in Doha pinned to CNN watching quality news tell us how our planes would fly through the ash and plummet to the ground, finally we got the go ahead- was the second plane to fly into UK but got diverted to Edinburgh instead of Heathrow followed by a 10 hour bus journey- including 2nd degree sunburn which I managed to get in Doha- the journey was agony but not as bad as 6 days in Doha- I lost the will to live- did manage to be given the presidential suite of the Millenium hotel though- dry though and I really needed a drink! Missed my friends hen do but just made it for the wedding
Old Jan 6th 2013, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Round-Bum is an unknown quantity at this point

The office booked my flight back from Cork to Dammam. She emailed me and said she only get me to Bahrain. No problem, says I, a quick limo ride across the causeway and I'll be back.

A few days later I got another email. It's OK, no need to mess around with limos, I've found a flight from Bahrain to Dammam.

I should have ditched it at Bahrain. 24 hours traveling (27 with time difference). I've told her which flights to book for me next time - 12 hours. Bliss.

They should be made to test out the routes they find for us...
Old Jan 6th 2013, 8:31 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Sorry, can't resist....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI0enx_Jnqc

"On a tour of one night stands".....
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

My worst ever flight was with Air France back in the days when smoking was permitted at the back of the plane, it consisted of a departure from Heathrow to Paris then a four hour stop over in RIyhad to drop off a load of pissed up chain smoking french men, couldn't even leave the plane to stretch our legs because we were told we would have to wear abayas, then over to Dubai for another drop off and pick up before finally arriving in Abu Dhabi.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 1:31 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Had a last minute meeting to attend in Puerto Banus back in the late 90's, and tried to get a flight from Aberdeen to Malaga...

Best I could manage was Aberdeen - London - Madrid - Malaga....

******' nightmare.... Spent more time in lounges than I did on board an aircraft....

And they managed to lose my suitcase, which meant having to buy a new suit the next day before the meeting..!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.