British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Homesickness (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/homesickness-789649/)

Meow Mar 6th 2013 1:13 pm

Homesickness

Is this something that ever bothers you? I've just read an article by a expat in New Zealand who says she suffers from this, as does every expat she knows.

I never really have done, so I am curious as to how much it affects other people.

Bahtatboy Mar 6th 2013 1:16 pm

Re: Homesickness

Job hunting's slow--I get sick at the thought of maybe having to go home.

Patsy Stoned Mar 6th 2013 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10587089)
Job hunting's slow--I get sick at the thought of maybe having to go home.

Oh..I didn't realise you were looking for a new job darling, hope you find something soon xx

I have never been homesick, wherever I live I consider that home for now :D

Bahtatboy Mar 6th 2013 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10587103)
Oh..I didn't realise you were looking for a new job darling, hope you find something soon xx

I have never been homesick, wherever I live I consider that home for now :D

Thanks Patsy. The dreaded R. A couple of "immediate starts" feeling very bukra ins'Allah-ish...

kittycat1 Mar 6th 2013 1:30 pm

When I first moved here I was desperately homesick and really did struggle to stay here, I think i felt very long way away from my friends and family and London, but I made it through that just about. It took me about 6 -9 months to make some good solid friendships which for me made it alot easier and those have grown into some incredibly close friendships. I think most people on here know I have never embraced Dubai and I miss London immensely. However, I wouldn't call it homesickness in the way I did when I first moved here. It's quite difficult to explain. I know being here is right for me at the moment, and I suppose I have accepted my fate for now. Do i get the urge to jump on the next plane home, no- not in the way I used to. I get to go home about 6 times a year now so I get my London fix and my work schedule here is manic so time goes very quickly and doesn't give me time to think much to be honest. And i enjoy certain elements of my lifestyle here. I mean it's a charmed life really so I can't complain but there are lots of things I still miss, but I know they will still be there when I eventually go home.

I always found slapping yourself around the face a few times and telling yourself to pull it together made me hold it together. What I am getting from being here is worth me staying here so you just have to make the best of it and do what you need to do to get you through it, for me that has been travelling and saving a house deposit. If I still felt home sick to the extent I did when i first moved here I couldn't have stayed here the length of time I have as it really is an awful feeling but sitting around talking about it again and again doesn't help to be honest, it just makes it worse.

nonthaburi Mar 6th 2013 2:05 pm

Home is where the heart is , and mine is with my family here .

On another note what's to miss . People maybe , but the dump that is SE London , no way !!

Go back once every two years on average and that's enough .

Bob Mar 6th 2013 2:24 pm

You can look all over BE to see stories of home sickness.

It all depends on circumstances for moving abroad which seem to be the biggest factor. It seems to hit the trailing family most rather than someone who came for a job, or those who move for marriage but leave behind close family/friends.

It's something that comes and goes, everyone is different.

Scratcher Mar 6th 2013 2:33 pm

I first left the UK 16 years ago, and returned about every 2 years only to visit relatives. I have just completed a three year work stint in the UK and I was loathed to go back (no other viable work options at the time) and never happier than when I left again.

If there is an opposite to homesickness then I have a serious dose of it!!

Scratcher

nonthaburi Mar 6th 2013 2:54 pm

http://www.backpackingdiplomacy.com/...-homesickness/

This guy came up with the term road envy.

LaLaLayla Mar 6th 2013 2:58 pm

No. I can honestly say I have never felt homesick.

britexpat76 Mar 6th 2013 3:23 pm

Never have been and never will. I miss certain people there but that's it.

Ethos83 Mar 6th 2013 3:46 pm

I get homesick quite often.

I get homesick for Somerset. Stuff London and all that. Sorry Kittykat but the expense and even the so called diversity is wearing me down.

I get "home"sick for America. Cheap, great salaries, high quality of life.

I even get "home"sick for Dubai. Miss the weather dearly.

raining Mar 6th 2013 4:36 pm

It's not so much 'home'sickness that I feel - I just know that the Middle East isn't the place for me. I miss things like being able to go for a walk, putting on songs from a jukebox in the pub, watching and hearing a good downpour lashing off the windows etc. The list is long but not specific to my home city or country.

Alexa Mar 6th 2013 6:46 pm

Homesick, No. sick of the ME, yes.
I miss certain things, like walks, fresh air, half way sane peo0ple, food...but not home or a certain country.
Maybe i am just rootless...:unsure:

Kix Mar 6th 2013 7:50 pm

I'm homesick now. Totally pissed off, hate this country with a passion.

Can't wait to get back to the Middle East.

(I'm English and in Germany)