Homesickness

Old Mar 7th 2013, 9:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

I think places like New Zealand, America, Canada and parts of Australia lend themselves to homesickness. While they're sort of like UK, they're different. Same language doesn't mean same culture and that's a shock to a lot of people who expect to move to England with sun (or snow as the case may be). People who move places like the ME or Asia expect that things will be very different and I think are better prepared to accept the differences.

From what I've seen on here and from what I've been told by people I know who've lived in the ME there's a close expat community. Moving somewhere like New Zealand expats are more spread out and you're forced more to integrate with locals. Places like the Emirates are pretty small, and immigrants tend to live and work in closer proximity to each other than they would in bigger places like NZ or Canada or Australia.

I'm probably not explaining it very well but I know what I mean.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In my early years working oveseas I used to crave Guiness and pork pies. I became a teetotal vegetarian.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:01 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I think places like New Zealand, America, Canada and parts of Australia lend themselves to homesickness. While they're sort of like UK, they're different. Same language doesn't mean same culture and that's a shock to a lot of people who expect to move to England with sun (or snow as the case may be). People who move places like the ME or Asia expect that things will be very different and I think are better prepared to accept the differences.

From what I've seen on here and from what I've been told by people I know who've lived in the ME there's a close expat community. Moving somewhere like New Zealand expats are more spread out and you're forced more to integrate with locals. Places like the Emirates are pretty small, and immigrants tend to live and work in closer proximity to each other than they would in bigger places like NZ or Canada or Australia.

I'm probably not explaining it very well but I know what I mean.
I know what you mean as well. I moved house a couple of years ago, one street over in the same development (better position and rent) but the new place was a mirror image of the floor plan of the old one. It drove me nuts for a few weeks - I would get completely disoriented at the top or bottom of the stairs. Had it been a whole new place, no problem at all...
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

raining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
So that would be homesick then.
Erm, no. That's why I used those specific examples. I'm from the UK but could get those things / experiences in so many places in the world - but not here.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

ukfb is an unknown quantity at this point

Going back to the UK during winter in the first year and having to scrape the ice off the car in sideways freezing rain soon put pay to any homesickness thoughts I might of had.

Planing to retire to France and still won't miss the UK.