British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Holidays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/holidays-854553/)

soukie Mar 15th 2015 3:34 pm

Holidays

Looking to go away for around 5 days in July and finding it difficult to choose a location. It's monsoon season on the one side of us and difficult flight times and long journeys to other places we fancy visiting (Greek Islands). We usually end up in Cyprus or Oman but really want somewhere different this year. Any suggestions? :) Don't say Qatar, Bahrain etc etc etc :rofl:

shiva Mar 15th 2015 3:48 pm

Re: Holidays

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 11592734)
Looking to go away for around 5 days in July and finding it difficult to choose a location. It's monsoon season on the one side of us and difficult flight times and long journeys to other places we fancy visiting (Greek Islands). We usually end up in Cyprus or Oman but really want somewhere different this year. Any suggestions? :) Don't say Qatar, Bahrain etc etc etc :rofl:

Lalibela

Aksum

or if you want well different mogadishu

Millhouse Mar 15th 2015 5:16 pm

Cornwall

soukie Mar 15th 2015 5:47 pm

I am tempted by Cornwall - takes less time to get to from Dubai than it does to some European places that are nearer to Dubai!

Millhouse Mar 15th 2015 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 11592811)
I am tempted by Cornwall - takes less time to get to from Dubai than it does to some European places that are nearer to Dubai!

...and totally beautiful, real and cream teas.

weather is shit or bust though, sadly.

nonthaburi Mar 16th 2015 4:52 am

What about Sri Lanka, not too far away and direct flights. Yes monsoon time but it only rains in the afternoon. for an hour or two. Very refreshing. I was in SE Asia last summer and after time spent in the ME the rain is great.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 16th 2015 5:45 am

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 11592734)

Crete.

It's 5-6hrs to Athens. Wait around for an hour then hop down to Chania (50mins). Go Western Crete to avoid the Malia bunch and chill the fudge out. I do it semi-regularly to visit Dad.

Autonomy Mar 16th 2015 6:47 am

Crete is nice.

Bali is a great option and I think Emirates have announced daily direct flights.

Went in August last year and weather was perfect - nice villa accom for approx 900 AED per night. Great food etc.

mentalist Mar 16th 2015 6:57 am

Nairobi is different and only Dhs1,200 return with Air Arabia.

mentalist Mar 16th 2015 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11593197)
Crete.
It's 5-6hrs to Athens. Wait around for an hour then hop down to Chania (50mins). Go Western Crete to avoid the Malia bunch and chill the fudge out. I do it semi-regularly to visit Dad.

And you can drop in on Patsy Stoned while you are there. Sure she would treat you to a nice soufflaki.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 16th 2015 7:03 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 11593220)
And you can drop in on Patsy Stoned while you are there. Sure she would treat you to a nice soufflaki.

Indeed. Or some chips covered in oregano.

hnd Mar 16th 2015 2:35 pm

Switzerland? The Alps are glorious in the summer and the network of trains, funiculars and ferries can make for a great sight-seeing holiday. Mind you it's a tad pricey at the moment :unsure: but we're still hoping to fit in a few days in both Munich and either Zurich or Milan on the way back to home in Muscat from Scotland this summer - will need a holiday after visiting family ;)

Pongo Mar 16th 2015 3:26 pm

Cheap flights to Budapest from DWC.

scot47 Mar 16th 2015 3:32 pm

Isfahan

littlejimmy Mar 16th 2015 4:13 pm

Cornwall is awesome. I went on a photo workshop there just a few weeks ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cosmicherb70/16408144069/