British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   On Holiday Tomorrow (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/holiday-tomorrow-620679/)

Amnesia180 Jul 17th 2009 8:03 am

On Holiday Tomorrow

Hello, all!

I'm off on holiday tomorrow... off to Abu Dhabi! I'm so excited. :eek:

If anyone happens to be in/around the area, drop me an email and I'll try and respond ASAP. If not, don't worry - I'll update you on my experiences when I return.

:thumbup:

kittycat1 Jul 17th 2009 8:11 am

Re: On Holiday Tomorrow

Have a fab holiday! x

Roadking Jul 17th 2009 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Amnesia180 (Post 7760298)
Hello, all!

I'm off on holiday tomorrow... off to Abu Dhabi! I'm so excited. :eek:

If anyone happens to be in/around the area, drop me an email and I'll try and respond ASAP. If not, don't worry - I'll update you on my experiences when I return.

:thumbup:

It's bloody hot! But have agreat time anyway. Not in AbDab but maybe one of the bored will be able to show you around....or not!

Amnesia180 Jul 17th 2009 9:36 am

Thanks KC.

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7760435)
It's bloody hot! But have agreat time anyway. Not in AbDab but maybe one of the bored will be able to show you around....or not!

Yeah, I've been told it's really hot. I'm staying with friends to start with, before they return to the UK and then I'm "villa sitting" for a while.
I'm sure I'll find things to keep me entertained!

A quick question - I'll be going to Dubai for a day and am having a driver drop me off/pick me up. Where would you suggest going? Is there a particularly central mall or something (for reference more than anything else).

Cheers!

Roadking Jul 17th 2009 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Amnesia180 (Post 7760492)
Thanks KC.

Yeah, I've been told it's really hot. I'm staying with friends to start with, before they return to the UK and then I'm "villa sitting" for a while.
I'm sure I'll find things to keep me entertained!

A quick question - I'll be going to Dubai for a day and am having a driver drop me off/pick me up. Where would you suggest going? Is there a particularly central mall or something (for reference more than anything else).

Cheers!

Guess it depends what you want to do. Mall of the Emirates, Ibn Batuta and Dubai Mall are all fairly large you could spend a couple of hours browsing or buying.

Mercato is on Jumeirah Road near the beach if you're brave enough to stand the heat. Wild Wadi is along the same road as are various other attractions.

Deira City Centre is in, well Deira, an older part of Dubai that's near the creek and the city. Dubai is not the city centre type place but is spread across miles. It's easy enough to get a taxi most times and not too expensive.

Amnesia180 Jul 17th 2009 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7760508)
Guess it depends what you want to do. Mall of the Emirates, Ibn Batuta and Dubai Mall are all fairly large you could spend a couple of hours browsing or buying.

Mercato is on Jumeirah Road near the beach if you're brave enough to stand the heat. Wild Wadi is along the same road as are various other attractions.

Deira City Centre is in, well Deira, an older part of Dubai that's near the creek and the city. Dubai is not the city centre type place but is spread across miles. It's easy enough to get a taxi most times and not too expensive.

Well, I'm not going for anything in particular really. Will be eating there, walking around (for a few minutes before the heat kicks in!) just generally having a look round. Probably more likely to end up browsing malls/shopping. Not sure trying to brave the beach would be a good idea!

Roadking Jul 17th 2009 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Amnesia180 (Post 7760551)
Well, I'm not going for anything in particular really. Will be eating there, walking around (for a few minutes before the heat kicks in!) just generally having a look round. Probably more likely to end up browsing malls/shopping. Not sure trying to brave the beach would be a good idea!

Why not go to Wafi, get the Big Red Bus which will take you a tour of Dubai. You can get off at various stops, walk around and get on the next bus before dying from the heat. The bus has an open top or airconditioned interior and follows a number of routes.

Wafi is also an upmarket mall and has a number of cafes/restaraunts to eat in. Can be a good day out.

Amnesia180 Jul 17th 2009 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7760589)
Why not go to Wafi, get the Big Red Bus which will take you a tour of Dubai. You can get off at various stops, walk around and get on the next bus before dying from the heat. The bus has an open top or airconditioned interior and follows a number of routes.

Wafi is also an upmarket mall and has a number of cafes/restaraunts to eat in. Can be a good day out.

Hmm, that sounds like it would be pretty cool actually. :thumbup: Thanks!

So, just look out for the "Big Red Bus" and then I can get on/off at various stops, choosing when to get the next bus? I'll look into it! Cheers!

Roadking Jul 17th 2009 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Amnesia180 (Post 7760599)
Hmm, that sounds like it would be pretty cool actually. :thumbup: Thanks!

So, just look out for the "Big Red Bus" and then I can get on/off at various stops, choosing when to get the next bus? I'll look into it! Cheers!

http://www.bigbustours.com

Blue Cat Jul 17th 2009 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7760589)

that is an excellent idea!! you can pick it up at Mall of the Emirates :)

Amnesia180 Jul 17th 2009 11:04 am

Thanks for the help! Shopping at the MoE and then off for a tour on the Big Red Bus... Sounds like it's going to be a good day!

We're also planning on visiting Al Ain Zoo... to see the imrpovements (if any) from early last year.

Blue Cat Jul 17th 2009 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Amnesia180 (Post 7760714)
Thanks for the help! Shopping at the MoE and then off for a tour on the Big Red Bus... Sounds like it's going to be a good day!

We're also planning on visiting Al Ain Zoo... to see the imrpovements (if any) from early last year.

have fun :thumbsup:

Shadya Jul 17th 2009 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Amnesia180 (Post 7760714)

My understanding is that Al Ain Zoo doesn't open until 4pm in the summer as they are targetting night visits. I may be wrong but worth checking before you drive all that way. Worth a drive to the peak of Jebel Hafeet mountain too.

Amnesia180 Jul 17th 2009 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 7760832)
My understanding is that Al Ain Zoo doesn't open until 4pm in the summer as they are targetting night visits. I may be wrong but worth checking before you drive all that way. Worth a drive to the peak of Jebel Hafeet mountain too.

Thanks Shadya, Will do! I'll give them a call when we're over there.

Another question, whilst I'm at it - I want to visit Chamas or Benihanas (probably both) during my stay. Would you say say 2 nights before would be sufficient to book a table? Or is it likely to be very busy, i.e: a week before.

Cheers!

Blue Cat Jul 17th 2009 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Amnesia180 (Post 7760899)
Thanks Shadya, Will do! I'll give them a call when we're over there.

Another question, whilst I'm at it - I want to visit Chamas or Benihanas (probably both) during my stay. Would you say say 2 nights before would be sufficient to book a table? Or is it likely to be very busy, i.e: a week before.

Cheers!

nowhere seems busy these days, well in Dubai it isn't