British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Holiday in Sri Lanka in May (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/holiday-sri-lanka-may-924511/)

eastrunner Apr 28th 2019 11:10 am

Holiday in Sri Lanka in May
 
This was a holiday booked back in January, would you still go? FCO has said only essential travel

Thanks

ER

UKCityGent Apr 28th 2019 11:18 am

Re: Holiday in Sri Lanka in May
 

Originally Posted by eastrunner (Post 12676702)
This was a holiday booked back in January, would you still go? FCO has said only essential travel

Thanks

ER

Personally id still go - the probability of being involved in any trouble is low and especially with an increased vigilance by the military now would be an added comfort. Only advice is if you hear a blast you are ok !

Millhouse Apr 28th 2019 11:19 am

Re: Holiday in Sri Lanka in May
 

Originally Posted by eastrunner (Post 12676702)
This was a holiday booked back in January, would you still go? FCO has said only essential travel

Thanks

ER

yes. I’m thinking of going for a month in July.

Lightning doesn’t strike twice... although I guess isis does.

carcajou Apr 28th 2019 1:12 pm

Re: Holiday in Sri Lanka in May
 
Yes. Go.

Pongo Apr 28th 2019 3:13 pm

Re: Holiday in Sri Lanka in May
 
Hmmm, would you be able to relax and enjoy?

TheShed Apr 29th 2019 3:01 am

Re: Holiday in Sri Lanka in May
 
We lived in SL during the late 90s and for all of the troubles, we never felt that unsafe as the violence was never aimed at us. I think the same is true today, just stay away from potential trouble spots and obvious targets. We have western friends living there and they are cautious but still go about their daily business as usual.

The hotspot will usually be Colombo, so if you’re in the hills or the beaches, I think you’d be unlucky to get caught up in anything.

Scamp Apr 29th 2019 1:47 pm

Re: Holiday in Sri Lanka in May
 
I'd probably still go, but only if the Mrs was comfortable doing so.....Probably would go unless we could get the money back easily then might just be tempted to rebook elsewhere if it made her happier.

Think about if you're comfortable with going and then who else is going with you.

scot47 Apr 29th 2019 2:19 pm

Re: Holiday in Sri Lanka in May
 
People went there on vacation from the ME and Europe during the vicious Civil War. Personally I would stay away.

hnd Apr 29th 2019 2:33 pm

Re: Holiday in Sri Lanka in May
 

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12677104)
People went there on vacation from the ME and Europe during the vicious Civil War. Personally I would stay away.

Ditto. The FO advice is quite clear so, should people go and become involved in any other bombings (or other terrorist incidents), it’s unlikely that they’re going to be covered by travel insurance - assuming that they’ve got insurance in the first place.

eastrunner Apr 30th 2019 4:37 am

Re: Holiday in Sri Lanka in May
 
Thanks all, I was going to referee a friendly game of Rugby and probably decide closer to the travel dates

Kooky. Apr 30th 2019 9:24 am

Re: Holiday in Sri Lanka in May
 

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12676706)


yes. I’m thinking of going for a month in July.

Lightning doesn’t strike twice... although I guess isis does.

We said that about Bali in the early 2000s. But I'd still go, as we did then. Can't live your life in fear.

Boomhauer May 2nd 2019 9:34 am

Re: Holiday in Sri Lanka in May
 

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12676928)
We lived in SL during the late 90s and for all of the troubles, we never felt that unsafe as the violence was never aimed at us. I think the same is true today, just stay away from potential trouble spots and obvious targets. We have western friends living there and they are cautious but still go about their daily business as usual.

The hotspot will usually be Colombo, so if you’re in the hills or the beaches, I think you’d be unlucky to get caught up in anything.

While I agree that SL is still safe, the danger with ISIS is a lot different than the Civil War situation that existed. ISIS specifically targets civilians, especially Christians . In SL, their aim isn't military targets, it is civilians , especially those they perceive as idolators. ISIS are going to try and hit more tourist hotspots , if the SL authorities haven't neutralized what remains of ISIS sympathizers.

TheShed May 3rd 2019 10:39 am

Re: Holiday in Sri Lanka in May
 

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 12678306)
While I agree that SL is still safe, the danger with ISIS is a lot different than the Civil War situation that existed. ISIS specifically targets civilians, especially Christians . In SL, their aim isn't military targets, it is civilians , especially those they perceive as idolators. ISIS are going to try and hit more tourist hotspots , if the SL authorities haven't neutralized what remains of ISIS sympathizers.

I agree with you but this is true in a large number of locations worldwide. Generally, it the last location that terrorism occurred which remains clearest in our minds.

BritInParis May 3rd 2019 11:19 am

Re: Holiday in Sri Lanka in May
 
I would still go but you should double check that the current FCO advice doesn’t invalidate your travel insurance.


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:19 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.