British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Hit and Run (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/hit-run-837311/)

goldencarrot1982 Jun 25th 2014 6:57 am

Hit and Run

Guys,

This morning I noticed a huge, deep dent and scratch along the passenger side doors of my rental car which I've only had around 6 weeks. Someone has obviously hit me pretty hard and just driven off :frown:

I never have any passengers and so never use that side of the car. Unfortunately this means it could have happened at any time without me noticing. I only use the car between home (secure, private parking) and the office (very busy public parking) so it must have happened outside the office. All other journeys are made in the family car.

I am dreading taking it back to the rental company or even letting them know about it at the moment as no doubt they will charge me a huge amount to have it repaired.

Do I have any options here? I am tempted to call the police and tell them it just happened today. Will I still have to pay for everything considering there is no other party involved?

I really cannot afford a huge outlay just now. Any suggestions most welcome.

GC.

Millhouse Jun 25th 2014 7:04 am

Re: Hit and Run

Originally Posted by goldencarrot1982 (Post 11314521)
Guys,

This morning I noticed a huge, deep dent and scratch along the passenger side doors of my rental car which I've only had around 6 weeks. Someone has obviously hit me pretty hard and just driven off :frown:

I never have any passengers and so never use that side of the car. Unfortunately this means it could have happened at any time without me noticing. I only use the car between home (secure, private parking) and the office (very busy public parking) so it must have happened outside the office. All other journeys are made in the family car.

I am dreading taking it back to the rental company or even letting them know about it at the moment as no doubt they will charge me a huge amount to have it repaired.

Do I have any options here? I am tempted to call the police and tell them it just happened today. Will I still have to pay for everything considering there is no other party involved?

GC.

You need a police report regardless. Call the rozzers, or take it to them.

I hope you took out the waiver insurance... but as you are posting here, I know you didn't :D

shiva Jun 25th 2014 7:22 am

Park its as normal outside the office. Call the cops in the morning.
Tell them you went out to get something from the car and saw the damage.
With any luck they will turn up within the working day.
Show them the damage and some pics you have taken on your phone, get the green slip. Take car to hire company and swap for one that isnt damaged

I took a hire car back here a long time ago that basically had no boot (it was merged with the backseat) damage down one side and a smashed up front end.
The result of 4 accidents all whilst stationary at traffic lights. because I had the green slips the hire company were deeply pissed but couldnt do a thing.

Johnnyboy11 Jun 25th 2014 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by goldencarrot1982 (Post 11314521)
Guys,

GC.

Check your rental agreement, there will be an insurance excess cap for accident damage. The agreement for my Nissan Sunny rental is capped at QAR1,500 (about £250) so no big deal. Drive to the local police station, file a report, then return the car for a new one.

The good thing about a rental car in Doha is that its not yours :nod:

busybee2 Jun 25th 2014 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11 (Post 11315055)
Check your rental agreement, there will be an insurance excess cap for accident damage. The agreement for my Nissan Sunny rental is capped at QAR1,500 (about £250) so no big deal. Drive to the local police station, file a report, then return the car for a new one.

The good thing about a rental car in Doha is that its not yours :nod:

usually there is an excess you pay... you can also pay a daily amount to reduce the excess .... whatever you will have to pay as it has to be someone's fault and if there is no other party its will be yours.... but then at least being a rental they will swap it with another one so you do not loose the car etc.