Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

History / Army sort of question

History / Army sort of question

Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:45 am
  #1  
why ayeeeee man!
Thread Starter
 
Spugsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Disco Gardens...
Posts: 11,370
Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default History / Army sort of question

Ok following on from my question about arabic warriors and suchlike,

in the army you have ranking, major, colonel, commander, um sergeant etc etc

I just need some names from the armies of old, middle eastern if possible but not necessarily, you know, knight, etc etc

Can anyone think of any?

Cheers.
Spugsy is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:48 am
  #2  
**** it we'll do it live
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: History / Army sort of question

Originally Posted by Spugsy View Post
Ok following on from my question about arabic warriors and suchlike,

in the army you have ranking, major, colonel, commander, um sergeant etc etc

I just need some names from the armies of old, middle eastern if possible but not necessarily, you know, knight, etc etc

Can anyone think of any?

Cheers.

where, when , who. all different fella. need specifics to help
shiva is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:51 am
  #3  
why ayeeeee man!
Thread Starter
 
Spugsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Disco Gardens...
Posts: 11,370
Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: History / Army sort of question

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
where, when , who. all different fella. need specifics to help
ok old ancient warriors, middle eastern if possible, you know like the dude you told me about, salah din, but it could be any old armies really - just the old names and titles of the top to the bottom. Even the names from say gladiator or troy sort of armies and times.

Cheers.
Spugsy is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:02 am
  #4  
**** it we'll do it live
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: History / Army sort of question

Originally Posted by Spugsy View Post
ok old ancient warriors, middle eastern if possible, you know like the dude you told me about, salah din, but it could be any old armies really - just the old names and titles of the top to the bottom. Even the names from say gladiator or troy sort of armies and times.

Cheers.
ok so in brief,
you would likle a complete breakdown of every military rank in every armed force, in every country from the med to middle east for the last 2000 plus years....................er no mate thats just a silly amount of info needed.

pick an army pick a time period and pick a location, otherwise its just meaningless and your as well off using modern military ranks, which are pretty similar to those historically anyway
shiva is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:05 am
  #5  
**** it we'll do it live
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: History / Army sort of question

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_rank

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_warfare
shiva is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:25 am
  #6  
A bubbly-jock...
 
MacScot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Teneriffe
Posts: 6,262
MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: History / Army sort of question

..you doing his homework again??
MacScot is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:40 am
  #7  
why ayeeeee man!
Thread Starter
 
Spugsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Disco Gardens...
Posts: 11,370
Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: History / Army sort of question

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
ok so in brief,
you would likle a complete breakdown of every military rank in every armed force, in every country from the med to middle east for the last 2000 plus years....................er no mate thats just a silly amount of info needed.

pick an army pick a time period and pick a location, otherwise its just meaningless and your as well off using modern military ranks, which are pretty similar to those historically anyway
shiva man, I don't need every name EVER.....but cheers for all your help,

we're doing a big massive warrior type thing, and we're branding four packages with warrior names, like 'the knight package', 'the archer package' or whatever, I just wanted some names that sounded good.
Spugsy is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:50 am
  #8  
why ayeeeee man!
Thread Starter
 
Spugsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Disco Gardens...
Posts: 11,370
Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: History / Army sort of question

Originally Posted by Spugsy View Post
shiva man, I don't need every name EVER.....but cheers for all your help,

we're doing a big massive warrior type thing, and we're branding four packages with warrior names, like 'the knight package', 'the archer package' or whatever, I just wanted some names that sounded good.
actually what I really need, is names of warriors as well.....or types of warriors from around the world.

Cheers if you can think of any Shiva...
Spugsy is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:58 am
  #9  
**** it we'll do it live
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: History / Army sort of question

Originally Posted by Spugsy View Post
shiva man, I don't need every name EVER.....but cheers for all your help,

we're doing a big massive warrior type thing, and we're branding four packages with warrior names, like 'the knight package', 'the archer package' or whatever, I just wanted some names that sounded good.

there you go then, you've got two already

out of interest whats the product? what consumer group is it aimed at, ie if arabs you wont want the crusader package etc
dont need a brand as presumably you cant say that
shiva is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:58 am
  #10  
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Eva's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,646
Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: History / Army sort of question

Originally Posted by Spugsy View Post
shiva man, I don't need every name EVER.....but cheers for all your help,

we're doing a big massive warrior type thing, and we're branding four packages with warrior names, like 'the knight package', 'the archer package' or whatever, I just wanted some names that sounded good.
What's the product Spugsy?
Eva is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:00 am
  #11  
**** it we'll do it live
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: History / Army sort of question

Originally Posted by Spugsy View Post
actually what I really need, is names of warriors as well.....or types of warriors from around the world.

Cheers if you can think of any Shiva...
let me get this straight, your getting paid to do this work, come on here and then get the answers from me or someone else.........nice gig mate where do i sign up.



seriously though both those last links and the last thread should have the answers you are seeking
shiva is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:24 am
  #12  
why ayeeeee man!
Thread Starter
 
Spugsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Disco Gardens...
Posts: 11,370
Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: History / Army sort of question

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
let me get this straight, your getting paid to do this work, come on here and then get the answers from me or someone else.........nice gig mate where do i sign up.



seriously though both those last links and the last thread should have the answers you are seeking
I can't really say just in case, but aye, it is geared towards arabs and other workers, in dubai obviously.
Spugsy is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:36 am
  #13  
Powered by cows
 
Autonomy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: currently Dubai, ex UK
Posts: 4,581
Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: History / Army sort of question

Originally Posted by Spugsy View Post
I can't really say just in case, but aye, it is geared towards arabs and other workers, in dubai obviously.
why not just go for random stereotypes or plain silly...

the drunken aggressive brit special package
the suicidal road crossing lucky dip package
the queue jumper sneaky special
the standing too close in a queue revised version
the guaranteed no phlem left in your body 2009 edition
the solid gold bling bling biggest baddest version

etc...

I know this is not helping. sorry.
Autonomy is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:45 am
  #14  
Down and out
 
ctfc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Re-Expated
Posts: 868
ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: History / Army sort of question

Spugsy, don't make it complicated...

Should be enough here to keep you busy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_rank
ctfc is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:59 am
  #15  
why ayeeeee man!
Thread Starter
 
Spugsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Disco Gardens...
Posts: 11,370
Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: History / Army sort of question

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
why not just go for random stereotypes or plain silly...

the drunken aggressive brit special package
the suicidal road crossing lucky dip package
the queue jumper sneaky special
the standing too close in a queue revised version
the guaranteed no phlem left in your body 2009 edition
the solid gold bling bling biggest baddest version

etc...

I know this is not helping. sorry.
'the guaranteed no phlem left in your body 2009 edition' - plenty of that here. YUK.
Spugsy is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.