British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Hijackings (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/hijackings-875089/)

Millhouse Mar 30th 2016 12:35 pm

Hijackings

Obviously we ignored the inevitable final nail in the coffin of the Egyptian tourism industry yesterday, but I did find this interesting:

Yesterday's hijacking of an EgyptAir flight from Cairo to Alexandria was a rare event. Between 1968 and 1972, airliner hijackings were commonplace around the world, occurring almost weekly in the United States alone. Since then, however, heightened airport security measures including x-ray machines and metal detectors have dramatically reduced the number of hijackings.

https://d28wbuch0jlv7v.cloudfront.ne...e_events_n.jpg

iggle Mar 30th 2016 12:58 pm

Re: Hijackings

I've always wondered...what would you if your plane was hijacked.

Keep shut and pray for the best, or stand up and fight back? In my head I'd stand up and fight, each situation is different though.

Boomhauer Mar 30th 2016 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11909159)

Keep shut and pray for the best, or stand up and fight back? In my head I'd stand up and fight, each situation is different though.

I'd tell the dude/s that we are all gona die sooner rather than later anyways and the earth will die too and there is no afterlife ; so all in all it is pointless whether he kills us or not. :nod:

Irishbeekeeper Mar 31st 2016 8:05 am

Self preservation will always prevail...fact!

Meow Mar 31st 2016 9:16 am

Best comment on the utter twunt.

http://i65.tinypic.com/idyl9k.jpg

jam25mack Mar 31st 2016 11:03 am

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11909159)

Often wondered similar too. Not just relating to hijackings but other high stress events where folk have to 'step the f**k up'!

I've been in a few serious situations over the years but nothing full on mental. I like to think I would be fine as I am generally calm under pressure.

Who really know tho.

The 1970's must have been a hoot tho!

flares Mar 31st 2016 4:36 pm

Did like the tabloid headline with the picky of the Egyptian dude...'Hi-jackass'

Pulaski Apr 2nd 2016 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11909143)
..... Since then, however, heightened airport security measures including x-ray machines and metal detectors have dramatically reduced the number of hijackings. ....

As did the policy on which Britain took the lead, but which was widely adopted internationally, of never allowing a hijacked airliner to take off. There might be fatalities with the plane stranded on the ground, but once in the air there could easily be 100% fatalities on board, and more on the ground.

Boomhauer Apr 2nd 2016 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 11909892)
If if was that easy to convince people there is no afterlife we'd have no religiously inspired war or terrorism ;)

Sincerely belief is very hard to comprehend if you've never experienced it before. This is why the cognitive dissidence over the causes of Islamic terrorism is common in people who've never been deeply religious or from very religious communities.

N.

A lot of conflicts that are overtly claimed to be religiously motivated are just ethnic tribalism that hides behind religion. So even if everyone in the MidEast and South Asia were non-theists, they won't admit to it because using religion as an excuse profers too much of an advantage when fighting people outside the in-group. Look at the Taleban, they are Pathan nationalists using religion to further ethnic interests. Or the Saudis who are very racist but then claim to be devout Muslims and justify their laws as god ordained. Islam allegedly is against racism .

Pulaski Apr 3rd 2016 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 11912238)
There's no doubt that tribalism has a religious form too. No argument there.

But there's also the fact that all religious are different at their doctrinal level. Some also promote culture and politics. We are not seeing issues with the most hardcore Jain adherents that we see with fundamentalist Muslims for example. Quaker fundamentalists have been quiet for a while and militant atheists seem to be restricting themselves to meme and tweets.

Some religious texts are simply more political and do not have the exclusion clauses we see in say, Christianity where Christ himself talks about 'rendering unto Caesar' and that his 'kingdom is not of his earth'. Early enlightenment thinkers and promoters of secularism were able to use that against the power of a very temporal church and a lot of Christians around the world today are on board with their founder's teachings. Those who are not are suspect Christians in my view.

I think there is overlap but it does boil down to doctrine. If the doctrine is not violent and earthly it's going to be less of a problem in the long run than if the fundamentals are intolerant and war-like.

I agree Islam is officially against racism, it also was quite advanced in it's time and place of origin in terms of divorce laws, usury and the managing of a very efficient Imperial system that was able to attack and conquer huge parts of the Christian Roman Empire (like all of North African and the Levant) and all but eliminate the Persia of Darius and his heirs.

There are good points in most books. I even found things in Mein Kampf that were reasonable (next to some of the most reprehensible things outside of religious texts...and youtube comment sections I have ever read ;)). I can compartmentalise this information but I am not obliged to believe the entire book is the final and revealed word of the eternal god in order for my soul to be saved or in order to have a community, culture and identity. I think therein lies the problem. ......

But Christianity and Islam are both based on very substantial and diverse writings, with mostly good or benign impact, however Islam has placed great emphasis on some passages in the koran about the fighting, killing, oppressing, and enslaving non-believers, whereas comparable passages in the Old Testament are entirely ignored by modern Christianity. The secular history of Muslims seems to have promoted this situation. :unsure: